inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1996

Written By: Eli on 09/08/10 at 11:17 pm

I have been on a 90s binge lately, and the one year that actually stands out to me is 1996. There is just something about 1996. I mean, you can say that the 90s found it's identity in 1993 from a pop culture standpoint. But 1996 seems like not just a cultural change, but a societal change. It was not just pop culture, it was world culture. Television, sports, politics, and almost all forms of media just changed that year. Tv started to move towards being "crash tv" (especially in pro wrestling, 96 was the transitional year from pg to attitude). Sports,especially baseball, started it slow climb back to the mainstream (especially with the yankees becoming the "it" team again, winning their first world series in 18 years, with a new manager, and new stars, Jeter, Rivera, Pettitte, Posada, and Williams were taking the torch). Actually, alot of new people came into every form of entertainment that year. Grunge was pretty much dead, and 80s culture became totally irrelevant, as some 80s stars were steal hanging by a thread in 95.

But in short I feel that 96 was the "transitional year in the 90s", you just knew, even then that the world was changing.

Agree? If not, then what year do you think was the transitional year.
In today's world, the transitional year was probably 2005.

Subject: Re: 1996

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 09/09/10 at 1:39 am

I used to think 1997 was the transitional year of the 90's. Now, I don't know.

Written By: Emman on 09/09/10 at 1:42 am

I have been on a 90s binge lately, and the one year that actually stands out to me is 1996. There is just something about 1996. I mean, you can say that the 90s found it's identity in 1993 from a pop culture standpoint. But 1996 seems like not just a cultural change, but a societal change. It was not just pop culture, it was world culture. Television, sports, politics, and almost all forms of media just changed that year. Tv started to move towards being "crash tv" (especially in pro wrestling, 96 was the transitional year from pg to attitude). Sports,especially baseball, started it slow climb back to the mainstream (especially with the yankees becoming the "it" team again, winning their first world series in 18 years, with a new manager, and new stars, Jeter, Rivera, Pettitte, Posada, and Williams were taking the torch). Actually, alot of new people came into every form of entertainment that year. Grunge was pretty much dead, and 80s culture became totally irrelevant, as some 80s stars were steal hanging by a thread in 95.

But in short I feel that 96 was the "transitional year in the 90s", you just knew, even then that the world was changing.

For the 00's, the transitional year in my opinion was 2008, by that time, the bling bling/ dirty south 00's culture seemed to be on the wane with the elections, recession, and the beginning of the Lady Gaga/electro era. Smart phones started becoming common around that time too. I think the late 08' to 2012 era will be looked at as the transitional period between the 00's and the 10's, it's amazing how fast rap music went from being the totally dominate genre in 2007 to being extremely marginal in mainstream music by late 09'.

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/09/10 at 5:50 am

IMO-1997 was a Transitional Year for the 90's as 2009/2010 was a Transitional Year for the 2000's.

But now I wish to have a Hot Tub Time Machine and go back to 1996 since that was the year I was happy about Cleveland, Music, Life, Etc.

Written By: tv on 09/09/10 at 3:28 pm

No Grunge was still popular first half of 1996 or the first 3rd of 1996 was still there. Either Grunge died in Spring or Summer of 1996 and I can;t deciide which one(spring or summer of '96.)

As for 80's stars in 1995 as you put it the only TV show that had 80's stars on them from the 80's TV show in 1995 were "Full House" and "Married With Children" I think. I mean "The Cosby's'" were gone by Summer of  1992 and "Growing Pains" was gone by Summer of  1993.

I think the transitional year was 1997 or 1999 for the 90's to the 00's.

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/10/10 at 8:18 am

Don't forget the World Wide Web (yes, 1995 was the year it first became mainstream, but 1996 took the importance to a whole another level). In 1995, many though the Internet was a passing fad, but in 1996 most felt like it was the future. If you compare movie posters from 1995 to 1996, you'll see that a much greater number from 1996 have a website on them compared to 1995. It was also the year that the fifth generation of video games really set apart the previous (usually it takes about a year for video game systems of a previous era to be relegated to bargain bins).

Written By: Starde on 09/11/10 at 3:33 pm

I've always considered 1997 as a transitional year of the 1990s and 2008 as a transitional year of the 2000s.

Written By: 90steen on 09/22/10 at 4:29 pm

I divide it halfway-through 1997. When R&B got a little more fast-paced, and by this point there were a lot more teen pop songs on the radio. In the early part of 1997 there was teen pop, but not an incredible amount of it.

Check for new replies or respond here...