inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Heavy Metal

Written By: Jeff on 09/25/10 at 1:35 am

Do any of you guys miss Heavy Metal? Also, what year do you think the genre had it's last hurrah? I know this should probably be on the 80's board, but I feel that it was still somewhat relevant in the very early 90s. I really miss the genre, especially bands like Whitesnake, Slaughter, Ratt, Twisted Sister etc..

Subject: Re: Heavy Metal

Written By: joeman on 09/25/10 at 6:47 am

Do any of you guys miss Heavy Metal? Also, what year do you think the genre had it's last hurrah? I know this should probably be on the 80's board, but I feel that it was still somewhat relevant in the very early 90s. I really miss the genre, especially bands like Whitesnake, Slaughter, Ratt, Twisted Sister etc..

There was heavy metal in the 90s, but it was more rhythm based and more angst ridden.  Bands like Tool, RATM, Korn, Pantera, Machine Head, etc... are examples of such.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/25/10 at 12:14 pm

And louder and edgier too.

Written By: whistledog on 09/25/10 at 6:13 pm

Last hurrah?

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/25/10 at 9:11 pm

There was a thread a month or so ago that mentioned Steel Panther.

But I can't find it because Google has stopped indexing new threads from this site, most likely because the last 100 or so posts are from people trying to maximize their post count, and being mistakenly identified by the Googlebot as spambots.

Maybe it's time for the Playful Penguin Palace and the Writing on the Walrus boards to become a members-only thing, so that they don't confuse the Googlebot.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/28/10 at 12:31 am

There was a thread a month or so ago that mentioned Steel Panther.

But I can't find it because Google has stopped indexing new threads from this site, most likely because the last 100 or so posts are from people trying to maximize their post count, and being mistakenly identified by the Googlebot as spambots.

Maybe it's time for the Playful Penguin Palace and the Writing on the Walrus boards to become a members-only thing, so that they don't confuse the Googlebot.

Steel Panther is an image rip-off of eighties hair metal but with much saltier lyrics.  You know, songs like "Asian Hooker."
::)

Written By: ADH13 on 09/28/10 at 12:55 am

I always liked the (hair band) ballads.  Some people considered them heavy metal, others didn't.  I don't care what you call them, I liked them... and I love old Metallica.

The early 90's were great for metal but the later 90's sucked.  For some reason, somebody thought it was cool to sound like they were singing through a running vacuum cleaner. 8-P

Written By: Paul on 09/28/10 at 3:00 pm

Incredible to think that the genre known as the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal...

...is now approaching its fourth decade!  :o ???

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/29/10 at 9:58 pm

Steel Panther is an image rip-off of eighties hair metal but with much saltier lyrics.  You know, songs like "Asian Hooker."
::)

Oh, I know.  We had a great thread going about the video to "Death to All But Metal", and I was just really frustrated because it would have been trivial to find it, except that Google's given up on us.

Written By: Gis on 09/30/10 at 4:56 pm

No I don't miss it because it is still alive and well and out there. You just need to know where to look........

I went to an awesome night of 3 metal bands just this sunday.

Check for new replies or respond here...