inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Roseanne

Written By: Eli on 09/25/10 at 1:38 am

Do you guys think that the sitcom Roseanne would have made it in today's world? I am asking because I watched the show last night on some kind of nostalgia channel and I still see it as a very cutting edge show, even by today's standards. Especially the Darlene character, and of course her mother. Which brings up another question. Who was your favorite character on the show? My favorite was actually Jackie.

Subject: Re: Roseanne

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/25/10 at 12:12 pm

Maybe. Personally, I liked Dan the best, myself.

Written By: Bobby on 09/25/10 at 4:33 pm

Maybe. Personally, I liked Dan the best, myself.

Yeah I liked Dan as well, very easy-going. Roseanne reminded me of my mum too much.  ;D

I don't think Roseanne was that cutting-edge though it tended to be more down-to-earth than a lot of the US sitcoms around at the time.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/28/10 at 12:30 am

It depicted working class America at a time when shows about the working class were on the decline.  They didn't have to play to the profane and perverse -- as "Married With Children Did" -- but the characters had ongoing problems that were not solved in 23 minutes.  And Dan was not Dr. Huxtable.  He couldn't summarize what we learned and how we should be with our own kids.  Dan Connor often didn't know what was best.  All he could do was try.  The same with Roseanne.  Sometimes she makes the right decision in a nasty way.  I remember Roseanne from her Rodney Dangerfield comedy spots for HBO the year before Roseanne.
:)

Check for new replies or respond here...