inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What happened?

Written By: Ali on 09/26/10 at 12:10 am

I cant for the life of me figure out why times have changed so much and the 90s werent even that long ago. Everything is so different now. What happened? There have been so many changes over the last 10-15 years that it boggles the mind. Things usually don't change THAT much THIS quick. Sitcoms, Politics, sports, music, you name it.

Subject: Re: What happened?

Written By: joeman on 09/26/10 at 7:07 am

I cant for the life of me figure out why times have changed so much and the 90s werent even that long ago. Everything is so different now. What happened? There have been so many changes over the last 10-15 years that it boggles the mind. Things usually don't change THAT much THIS quick. Sitcoms, Politics, sports, music, you name it.

What are the changes that you that happened that you see?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/26/10 at 8:00 am

Evolution, ask Charles Darwin!

Written By: Bobby on 09/26/10 at 8:06 am

Welcome to growing up I guess, Ali.  :)

The older you get, things don't stay the same and sometimes we don't appreciate this simple fact. Some people prefer stability and the past and some prefer the excitement of the future.

Reminds me of the song; 'We didn't start the fire' by Billy Joel.

Written By: Starde on 09/26/10 at 10:54 am

What happened? Time. That's what happened.

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/26/10 at 7:28 pm

It happens to every generation it seems; it's called GETTING OLD.  Just spend some time reading this board's archives and you'll see how things have changed. But that's the nature of time progression- as one epoch becomes new and current, the previous one at first becomes "out", then "old", then "vintage", and finally "historical". But ask those gray haired folks about the '50s and '60s, and their words will be much more mesmerizing than us '90s folks.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/26/10 at 9:36 pm

I'm guessing flying cars won't come until about 2050? ???

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/29/10 at 9:53 pm

Nope.  Only one more year until anyone will be able to buy a flying car.  It'll cost about what a high-end exotic costs, but unlike attempts to make exotic cars fly, the Terrafugia will be able to land and take off again safely.  

If you can afford an exotic car, you can afford a flying car.  If you can afford a high-end SUV, you can just drive to the airport, take a few weeks' worth of flying lessons, and fly your local flying club's aircraft for the cost of the fuel.  (A good ol' Cessna gets pretty awesome mileage when you consider your distances are calculated "as the crow flies", not along wherever the roads happen to go.  Being able to skip traffic jams and the TSA goon squad are just two of the fringe benefits.)

Written By: Ryan112390 on 09/30/10 at 2:50 am

I miss the 90s probably more than most here.
I miss being an angular faced, cute little kid dressed in a denim jacket, a mullet just touching my shoulders.
That was the peak of my childhood. 1996.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/01/10 at 4:16 am

Nope.  Only one more year until anyone will be able to buy a flying car.  It'll cost about what a high-end exotic costs, but unlike attempts to make exotic cars fly, the Terrafugia will be able to land and take off again safely.  

If you can afford an exotic car, you can afford a flying car.  If you can afford a high-end SUV, you can just drive to the airport, take a few weeks' worth of flying lessons, and fly your local flying club's aircraft for the cost of the fuel.  (A good ol' Cessna gets pretty awesome mileage when you consider your distances are calculated "as the crow flies", not along wherever the roads happen to go.  Being able to skip traffic jams and the TSA goon squad are just two of the fringe benefits.)

Yay!! Jumps up and down.

But I can't afford it though.  ;D

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/02/10 at 9:04 am

I miss the 90s probably more than most here.
I miss being an angular faced, cute little kid dressed in a denim jacket, a mullet just touching my shoulders.
That was the peak of my childhood. 1996.

1994-1996 was my peak! I have never felt the same since the 90's!

I can see what you're talking about.

When you had cable, you had Nickelodeon...not the Spongebnob Station, you had The Disney Channel...not The 'Disney' Channel (note the quotation marks), you had Cartoon Network...not a Network that'll play Cartoons when it feels like it, and you had cable stations that played what the name that station was like MTV and SciFi.

In the 90's, I felt good about my city and teams since Cleveland was in a Renaissance...now it's back in the Dark Ages, but The Cleveland Indians were a team and not a farm team for the Red Sox nor Yankees. The Browns (Before Modell made them into The Ravens and we got The 'Browns') were mediocre but they played like a team, The Cavs...they were the only team in the NBA Eastern Conference at the time that could rival The Bulls...and they played like a team not LeButthead and The Cavaliers, even when they sucked. Also, Cleveland had the Rock Hall, The Orchestra, The Flats, The Warehouse District, and a mall at Tower City. Now Cleveland is poor, miserable, and should be wiped-off the map or be sealed in a bubble like in "The Simpsons Movie".

For the rest of TV, you had shows...not Reality Shows. People worked hard on those shows and they became great shows and the people who were on those shows became big time celebrities. Now we have Reality Shows where average joes would say "I can sing" or "I can do a stupid stunt" or "I can survive being sheeshted on for money". They don't even try!

Music was okay but listenable in the 90's. Grunge went down and Alternative became the main stay which has a broad view from heavy guitar to an acoustic ballad, even some old musicians from the 60's and 70's had hit songs too. Today, we have Hip Hop and Rap that's made by people who NEVER seen The Ghetto, Dance Music that sounds generic, and I think this started in 1997.

Even life was great in the 90's! My memories in the 90's STILL linger. My Grandpa owned old cars and we would go to car events, we would have parties at his house when holidays and birthdays came, and since I was involved with the church...that would be my 2nd hangout place. But ever since my grandpa died...nothing really gelled, especially on the car events. It looks like I found all the pitfalls in getting older after the 90's ended. I felt grown-up in the 90's, having a school crush, doing things that I wouldn't do as a kid, stuff like that. Now I can't find a girl worth jack sheesh, I can't afford a car and I might as well NOT have my Drivers License, and since I'm disabled...I feel that life is just telling me you might as well face it...you're disabled and will always be behind in life. I now feel like less of a man and a semi-shut-in since I can't drive and I have to rely on Public Transportation!

I know I'm droning on...but it's like the Bowling for Soup song "1985", but instead I'm still preoccupied with 1995! And the way my life is going, I'll have a girlfriend, money, and car...when Cleveland wins a Championship (It's similar to when pigs fly)!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/02/10 at 10:57 am

Hell, I turn 40 in a little over a month.

How do you think I feel?  :-\\

Written By: Ryan112390 on 10/03/10 at 6:30 am

1994-1996 was my peak! I have never felt the same since the 90's!

I can see what you're talking about.

When you had cable, you had Nickelodeon...not the Spongebnob Station, you had The Disney Channel...not The 'Disney' Channel (note the quotation marks), you had Cartoon Network...not a Network that'll play Cartoons when it feels like it, and you had cable stations that played what the name that station was like MTV and SciFi.

In the 90's, I felt good about my city and teams since Cleveland was in a Renaissance...now it's back in the Dark Ages, but The Cleveland Indians were a team and not a farm team for the Red Sox nor Yankees. The Browns (Before Modell made them into The Ravens and we got The 'Browns') were mediocre but they played like a team, The Cavs...they were the only team in the NBA Eastern Conference at the time that could rival The Bulls...and they played like a team not LeButthead and The Cavaliers, even when they sucked. Also, Cleveland had the Rock Hall, The Orchestra, The Flats, The Warehouse District, and a mall at Tower City. Now Cleveland is poor, miserable, and should be wiped-off the map or be sealed in a bubble like in "The Simpsons Movie".

For the rest of TV, you had shows...not Reality Shows. People worked hard on those shows and they became great shows and the people who were on those shows became big time celebrities. Now we have Reality Shows where average joes would say "I can sing" or "I can do a stupid stunt" or "I can survive being sheeshted on for money". They don't even try!

Music was okay but listenable in the 90's. Grunge went down and Alternative became the main stay which has a broad view from heavy guitar to an acoustic ballad, even some old musicians from the 60's and 70's had hit songs too. Today, we have Hip Hop and Rap that's made by people who NEVER seen The Ghetto, Dance Music that sounds generic, and I think this started in 1997.

Even life was great in the 90's! My memories in the 90's STILL linger. My Grandpa owned old cars and we would go to car events, we would have parties at his house when holidays and birthdays came, and since I was involved with the church...that would be my 2nd hangout place. But ever since my grandpa died...nothing really gelled, especially on the car events. It looks like I found all the pitfalls in getting older after the 90's ended. I felt grown-up in the 90's, having a school crush, doing things that I wouldn't do as a kid, stuff like that. Now I can't find a girl worth jack sheesh, I can't afford a car and I might as well NOT have my Drivers License, and since I'm disabled...I feel that life is just telling me you might as well face it...you're disabled and will always be behind in life. I now feel like less of a man and a semi-shut-in since I can't drive and I have to rely on Public Transportation!

I know I'm droning on...but it's like the Bowling for Soup song "1985", but instead I'm still preoccupied with 1995! And the way my life is going, I'll have a girlfriend, money, and car...when Cleveland wins a Championship (It's similar to when pigs fly)!

1994-1996 was a very special era.
And 1996 was a very odd, almost surrealistic year for me.
I review a lot of the movies I loved from that year--'96--such as 101 Dalmations (live action), Adventures of Pinocchio, Kassam, Aladdin and the King of Thieves, the Frighteners, Dragonheart--and they all have this same almost surreal quality to them. That year was probably the strangest, yet most pleasing year ever for me.

Written By: Fairee07 on 10/03/10 at 1:22 pm

Perhaps we are getting older but I think the world is also changing at an accelerating rate. Just look at the timeline in technology---it took centuries to get to the industrial age, and after that it took decades for more changes to occur but then when the 20th century arrived, advance developments happened in every decade...and now it takes place each year! Just do a comparison between the 1990s and 80s: yes there where signicant changes, but when you compare today with the 90s, it's almost like being on a separate planet!

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/06/14 at 10:24 pm

In addition to the Terrafugia, we have a new player, the Aeromobil 3.0 from Slovakia, with a production-ready demo in Vienna at the end of the month:

plNO7fntQkY

Source: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1094786_production-ready-aeromobil-flying-car-to-debut-this-month-video

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 10/09/14 at 7:36 am

For this early 90s guy, 1993-1999 happened and ruined everything.

Check for new replies or respond here...