inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: breakfast food commercial help please

Written By: h0llyw00d on 11/08/10 at 2:21 pm

i remember a commercial from i believe the early 90's I don't remember what it was for other than it had to do with breakfast. In the commercial there were kids eating stuff for breakfast that is not normally a breakfast food. there was one  kid drinking orange soda and the kid says orange juice orange soda whats the difference.  does anyone remember what it was for?

Subject: Re: breakfast food commercial help please

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/08/10 at 9:36 pm

i remember a commercial from i believe the early 90's I don't remember what it was for other than it had to do with breakfast. In the commercial there were kids eating stuff for breakfast that is not normally a breakfast food. there was one  kid drinking orange soda and the kid says orange juice orange soda whats the difference.  does anyone remember what it was for?

You sure that wasn't an SNL sketch?
???

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/08/10 at 11:01 pm

I remember a commercial along these lines. Not sure if there was a commercial where "orange soda" came into play, but I remember a commercial where the idea was to highlight the difference between "orange juice" and "orange drink".

{FRUIT} Juice must be 100% orange juice.  {FRUIT} "nectar" must be 25% and 50% depending on the fruit in question.  Anything less than the percentage for "nectar: is a {FRUIT} drink.  Or a "Fruit drink", without mentioning the fruit.

This reminds me of a product called Sunny Delight, aka SunnyD.  Sunny D was an orange drink, containing less than 5% orange juice.  Sunny D's dirty little secret was that carrot juice is also sweet, orange, and extraordinarily cheap compared to orange juice.  Some kid drank a bunch of it and temporarily turned orange from all the beta-carotene from the carrot juice.)

"Sunny Delight" was the name of the product before the late-90s renaming to "SunnyD", 1998 UK launch, and the 2003 "kid turns orange" incident.  In early-90s North America, there would have been plenty of orange juice producers who would have been happy to make a commercial highlighting the differences between "juice" and "drink".  So the timing is right.  We just have to remember the competing product.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/10/10 at 10:43 am

I remember a commercial along these lines. Not sure if there was a commercial where "orange soda" came into play, but I remember a commercial where the idea was to highlight the difference between "orange juice" and "orange drink".

My stepmother used to buy some kind of generic grape-flavored powder you mixed with water.  I don't remember the measurements, but
"Grape juice" = more powder
"Grape drink" = less powder
8-P

(No, I didn't grow up in Jonestown!)

http://www.brandchannel.com/images/Home/432_repo_man.jpg

("Hey, he's talkin' to yah!!!")

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/11/10 at 5:52 am

I was thinking of those LIFE Commercials, where this little girl said that a cake was her breakfast and she was wearing a ballerina costume.

Written By: Dustin on 11/25/11 at 9:18 pm

I remember the commercial too.  Part of it was also a boy saying "French toast, french fries, who's counting?"  Not sure what it was for either.  Then the narrator said something to the effect of "Kids don't choose healthy foods, that's why there's....."

Check for new replies or respond here...