inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Punk Fashion in the 1990s

Written By: Mat1991 on 11/21/10 at 3:43 pm

I've been wondering this for a while. What was the 1990s punk scene like? I'm mostly curious about the fashion, but I welcome information on all aspects of the punk scene.

Thanks!  :)

Subject: Re: Punk Fashion in the 1990s

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/21/10 at 4:18 pm

Punk kind of some what died down a bit during the 90's, there was however Pop Punk.

For the most part, body piercing was very popular.

Written By: Punk\\\'s Not Dead on 11/23/10 at 12:11 pm

Punk was very much alive in the 1990's. Yes, some aspects of the scene culture changed into pop punk, but there were still quite a few really punk bands out there. Most of those bands were skate punk because skating was the new big thing which was socially rejected and in turn embraced by the punk culture. it wasn't until post 2000's that the more widely known political punk started to emerge.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/28/10 at 10:15 am

Punk fashion was so 70's!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/28/10 at 12:54 pm

Punk is not dead.  It was never alive.  Punk was nothing but fashion and entertainment marketing.  Zero substance.  Malcolm McLaren knew it.  Punk did a great service to the Tories in Britain.  It took the anger of the youth and steered it away from politics and into narcissism, street theater, and substance abuse.  Effective rebellion potential neutralized. 

It was passe by the time I got into it.  However, I was never a "Punk."  I was a "New Romantic" or a "Goth." Distinctions sans différence. 

More kids in my generation listened to the Grateful Dead than the Dead Kennedys.  I wanted to make a political statement that the "hippies" of my parents' generation betrayed us.  That was a non-starter.  My generation's ideology began and ended with pop music and fashion choices.  In 1993 you could see on any college campus "alternative" kids wearing machine-printed tie-dyes with Doc Marten brand boots.  Who cares?

Conservative parents did thanks to unwarranted panic instigated by Tipper Gore and the Christian Right, but that's about it.

"We learned that you could be a skate punk, a pop punk, a peace punk, or a weeeeirdoooo!"

--Jello Biafra

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/28/10 at 12:55 pm

Punk is not dead.  It was never alive.  Punk was nothing but fashion and entertainment marketing.  Zero substance.  Malcolm McLaren knew it.  Punk did a great service to the Tories in Britain.  It took the anger of the youth and steered it away from politics and into narcissism, street theater, and substance abuse.  Effective rebellion potential neutralized. 

It was passe by the time I got into it.  However, I was never a "Punk."  I was a "New Romantic" or a "Goth." Distinctions sans différence. 

More kids in my generation listened to the Grateful Dead than the Dead Kennedys.  I wanted to make a political statement that the "hippies" of my parents' generation betrayed us.  That was a non-starter.  My generation's ideology began and ended with pop music and fashion choices.  In 1993 you could see on any college campus "alternative" kids wearing machine-printed tie-dyes with Doc Marten brand boots.  Who cares?

Conservative parents did thanks to unwarranted panic instigated by Tipper Gore and the Christian Right, but that's about it.

"We learned that you could be a skate punk, a pop punk, a peace punk, or a weeeeirdoooo!"

--Jello Biafra

I believe that when The Beatles started out, they were called punk too!

Check for new replies or respond here...