inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Culturally defining the '90s technologically

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/02/10 at 10:24 am

I made a couple points on the 2010 is an overlapping year about how the popularity of regular DVDs and Flip-style cellphones were a good measure on that it was the "00s". But when you've watched/going to watch old videos from the '90s, there is certainly going to be a theme. That said, these are what, technologically set apart the '90s from their ajoining decades.

1. Predominantly black, square CRT TV panels.
2. Pagers
3. Sony Discman. While CDs were very much also a part of the late '80s and early '00s, with the first MP3s in 1999 and especially iPod in 2001, it really made this gadget practically go the way of the Walkman.
4. Moderately small, non-flip one-or-two line screen cellphones. This was the predominant style of cellphones during the Clinton years, and many people who first bought a cellphone purchased this style.
5. Predominantly white CRT computer monitors/hardware, with both a small floppy disk and a CD-ROM drive

Subject: Re: Culturally defining the '90s technologically

Written By: Brian06 on 12/03/10 at 12:02 am

Beige box computers, early internet (mostly dial-up), CDs and discmans and boomboxes, CD-ROM was high tech early in the decade, early digital cameras (I remember when a "megapixel" camera was a big deal), PDAs like Palm Pilots were popular in the late 1990s. I remember there were those car phones that were in a bag well into the decade and I remember Star tacs.

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/06/10 at 6:48 am

I'd also add Fax machines as its peak usage pretty much coincided with the decade. Telex was more popular than Fax until around 1987, and e-mail didn't really take over fax until the early '00s.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/07/10 at 12:03 am

It amazes me I used to take movies in the '90s (my parents got me a camcorder back in 1995, I loved it and made and edited my own movies back then). Today they have these like pocket "camcorders" for like 20 bucks or you just take video on your cellphone and you can instantly share it with the world wherever you are, to take video back in the '90s you had to have like a $500 at least camcorder that recorded on VHS or 8mm tapes and you would manually make VHS copies by plugging said camcorder into a VCR and physically give the copies to friends and family. It really amazes me how far we've come with things like this.

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/07/10 at 6:46 am

It amazes me I used to take movies in the '90s (my parents got me a camcorder back in 1995, I loved it and made and edited my own movies back then). Today they have these like pocket "camcorders" for like 20 bucks or you just take video on your cellphone and you can instantly share it with the world wherever you are, to take video back in the '90s you had to have like a $500 at least camcorder that recorded on VHS or 8mm tapes and you would manually make VHS copies by plugging said camcorder into a VCR and physically give the copies to friends and family. It really amazes me how far we've come with things like this.

Then again, it just makes the '90s that much more special as my family has over 30 tapes spanning the decade pretty much from beginning to end until my mom bought a camcorder that was mini-taped based rather than full VHS in late 1999. I wish someone would start a facebook group called "90s home video" showing what they enjoyed. The presence of large camcorders can really date an image/video from the late '80s/'90s.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/07/10 at 3:38 pm

Then again, it just makes the '90s that much more special as my family has over 30 tapes spanning the decade pretty much from beginning to end until my mom bought a camcorder that was mini-taped based rather than full VHS in late 1999. I wish someone would start a facebook group called "90s home video" showing what they enjoyed. The presence of large camcorders can really date an image/video from the late '80s/'90s.

Oh yeah I know I agree, I love watching my old tapes even with the ease of all the new technology, theres nothing like firing up old tapes on the VCR.

Written By: Superflykid2008 on 12/07/10 at 6:46 pm

I don't know about most people, but I had a DVD player in '99 as a kid  :P I was pretty ahead of my time, huh?

Written By: Brian06 on 12/07/10 at 6:57 pm

I don't know about most people, but I had a DVD player in '99 as a kid  :P I was pretty ahead of my time, huh?

A little ahead of the average person probably though it was far from rare, I actually got my first one around then too. I remember in 1999 DVDs were the hot and new thing, though I getting commonplace, kinda like smartphones in 2009/2010.

Written By: Starde on 12/07/10 at 11:07 pm

Wow. My family didn't get a DVD player til 2002 or 2003 (I remember buying one of my first DVDs in 2002). Hell, we were still buying VHS tapes up to 2003.

Written By: nally on 12/08/10 at 8:49 pm

Wow. My family didn't get a DVD player til 2002 or 2003 (I remember buying one of my first DVDs in 2002). Hell, we were still buying VHS tapes up to 2003.

My family still buys them too! (Blank ones, that is.)

Written By: Brian06 on 12/08/10 at 9:57 pm

This was my first computer, my first boombox is also in the picture. This is from 1994.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/briand06/IMG_0256.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...