inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: There was 70's nostalgia in the 90's? I didn't see it.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/06/10 at 4:24 pm

Some people have pointed out on here that there was 70's nostalgia in the 90's and to be honest I didn't remember that much excitement for the 70's in the 90's as much as there was excitement for the 80's in the 00's.

Maybe it was because I was only a little kid in the 90's and didn't pay enough attention, but can some of you point out some 70's nostalgia (if there was any) that was going on in the 90's?

And maybe there was nostalgia for the 70's, but it wasn't as popular as 80's nostalgia in the 00's.

Subject: Re: There was 70's nostalgia in the 90's? I didn't see it.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/06/10 at 4:28 pm

Ummmmmm.....

mutters under breath....

Dazed and Confused, Boogie Nights and 57.

:D

Then quickly hides in a corner.

;D

Written By: Emman on 12/06/10 at 4:51 pm

I remember watching a show, probably in 1998, that was talking about the 70's revival, with fashions like flare jeans becoming stlyish again. The late 90's and early 00's had strong 70's elements like neo soul, french house, bell bottoms/flare jeans, Outkast's music during that time, afros, the remake of Shaft in 2000.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/06/10 at 6:32 pm

Ummmmmm.....

mutters under breath....

;D

Thanks man. I really was only a little kid during the 90's so I probably didn't care.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/06/10 at 6:34 pm

I remember watching a show, probably in 1998, that was talking about the 70's revival, with fashions like flare jeans becoming stlyish again. The late 90's and early 00's had strong 70's elements like neo soul, french house, bell bottoms/flare jeans, Outkast's music during that time, afros, the remake of Shaft in 2000.

Yup, the 20-year rule. The 90's looked back at the 70's and the 00's looked back at the 80's.

There was a huge resurgence of 60's nostalgia in the 80's and early 90's based on some of the movies selections I've seen!  :o

Written By: Starde on 12/07/10 at 10:55 pm

Um...That 70's Show (1998-2006)?

Written By: Shiv on 12/08/10 at 11:00 am

A lot of 90s rock had a 70s-inspired sound.

Written By: Mat1991 on 12/12/10 at 11:36 am

Let's not forget to mention the Austin Powers franchise.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/12/10 at 12:06 pm

Let's not forget to mention the Austin Powers franchise.
Austin Powers characteristics are associated with 1960s not the 1970s.

Yeah, baby, yeah

Written By: Mat1991 on 12/12/10 at 12:21 pm

Austin Powers characteristics are associated with 1960s not the 1970s.

Yeah, baby, yeah

I guess you're right. I've never even seen the movie.

Written By: angela on 12/16/10 at 8:44 pm

I grew up in the 90s and at the time I thought there was more of a 60s revival.  I loved flared jeans and tie-dye and round John Lennon-style sunglasses and I remember that groovy flower power type stuff was "in".  You might argue that as 70s pop culture but I disagree -- hippie culture was born of the 60s.  And someone mentioned Austin Powers earlier which is a 60s thing.  There was also Forrest Gump which I haven't seen but I understand it is chock-ful of 60s pop culture.

I thought the first half of the 00s had more of a 70s resurgence.  "That 70s Show" started in 98 when the 90s were almost over, so it's more of a 00s show.  

I have only noticed the 80s resurgence in the last 5 years. Although I do live in the Midwest and we are always the last to catch up on pop culture trends, so maybe we were behind.

I am too young to remember the 80s but that decade actually looks like it had a 50s flair.  The Stray Cats, neon colors, even some of the fashion? So I think there's a 30-year rule, not 20.

Written By: JTCool on 12/16/10 at 8:52 pm

I grew up in the 90s and at the time I thought there was more of a 60s revival.  I loved flared jeans and tie-dye and round John Lennon-style sunglasses and I remember that groovy flower power type stuff was "in".  You might argue that as 70s pop culture but I disagree -- hippie culture was born of the 60s.  And someone mentioned Austin Powers earlier which is a 60s thing.  There was also Forrest Gump which I haven't seen but I understand it is chock-ful of 60s pop culture.

I thought the first half of the 00s had more of a 70s resurgence.  "That 70s Show" started in 98 when the 90s were almost over, so it's more of a 00s show.  

I have only noticed the 80s resurgence in the last 5 years. Although I do live in the Midwest and we are always the last to catch up on pop culture trends, so maybe we were behind.

I am too young to remember the 80s but that decade actually looks like it had a 50s flair.  The Stray Cats, neon colors, even some of the fashion? So I think there's a 30-year rule, not 20.

I think you have a point. Everyone says the 80s had a strong 50s influence, so I think when the 90s began it had holdever styes that were more influenced by the 50s and new 60s influenced styles becoming popular. By the late 90s I think things were a lot more 60s influenced with some new 70s influences becoming popular. Early 00s more 70s influenced and right now I think we are going back to more 80s styles, especially with clothes. So if what I said made any sense to you than you deserve a pat on the back.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/21/10 at 7:42 pm

Man, I positively cringe when I think of some of the stuff I wore to try to fit in with the other kids. And I didn't. (MJ made me an outcast  >:( ) Bellbottoms, flares, platforms, /It was like a bad memoriy of a past I knew nothing about. When I saw the 80s revivial happening I did my first ever cartwheel in glee.

Written By: Nicole Little on 12/26/10 at 7:02 pm

Yup, the 90s was very 70s influenced.  Every decade, the public has a 20-year nostalgia.  This makes sense.  The 80s look back at the 60s, the 90s look back at the 70s, and the 2000s look back at the 80s.  I had my first pair of bellbottoms in the early 90s when I was in high school.  The music of all genres were very 70s influenced, especially grunge music and G-funk aka Dr. Dre.

Written By: tv on 01/20/11 at 12:43 pm

Yup, the 90s was very 70s influenced.  Every decade, the public has a 20-year nostalgia.  This makes sense.  The 80s look back at the 60s, the 90s look back at the 70s, and the 2000s look back at the 80s.  I had my first pair of bellbottoms in the early 90s when I was in high school.  The music of all genres were very 70s influenced, especially grunge music and G-funk aka Dr. Dre.
Yeah I was saying on another board the genres that were popular in the first half of the 70's(1970-1974/1975) were the same as the 90's(late 1991-1996) like Smooth R&B was popular in both era's and you can insert 90's grunge in place of 70's Classic Rock. I know smooth R&B was popular(the 90's type Smooth R&B) before late 1991 with Babyface, Surface, and After 7 in 1988-1989. There was alternative Rock that was popular  before Grunge took off in late 1991 like Jane's Addiction, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Faith No More, and Nine Inch Nails from 1988-1990. "The Mountain Song" by Janes Addiction came out in 1988 and "Epic" by "Faith No More" in 1990 got them a record deal!

Written By: tv on 01/20/11 at 12:54 pm

I have only noticed the 80s resurgence in the last 5 years. Although I do live in the Midwest and we are always the last to catch up on pop culture trends, so maybe we were behind.I am too young to remember the 80s but that decade actually looks like it had a 50s flair.  The Stray Cats, neon colors, even some of the fashion? So I think there's a 30-year rule, not 20.
Yeah I think here in the East Coast we get trends pretty early especially with hip-hop being originated in NYC and along with alot of R&B/Hip-Hop artists that have been popular artists from NJ/NY in the past 3 decades. I think the "nostalgia period" is with the late 80's/early 90's now.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/23/11 at 12:08 am

Angela, I live in the midwest too, Nebraska. I didn't really noticed 80's nostalgia until about 2005. I guess maybe we midwesterners do get a big behind because we're in the middle.

Written By: RG1995 on 01/23/11 at 1:13 am

Wasn't 70s nostalgia big in the early 2000s too?

1.) That 70s Show
2.) Shaft Remake
3.) Austin Powers: Goldmember
4.) Very 70s like fashion

Written By: Davester on 01/23/11 at 3:41 am

Ummmmmm.....

mutters under breath....

;D

Those movies tanked at the box office, didn't they..?

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/25/11 at 7:19 pm

Um...That 70's Show (1998-2006)?

YES!

That's what I was thinking, Karma for mentioning this!

Written By: joeman on 01/25/11 at 7:35 pm

Wasn't 70s nostalgia big in the early 2000s too?

1.) That 70s Show
2.) Shaft Remake
3.) Austin Powers: Goldmember
4.) Very 70s like fashion

I remember 70s nostalgia as far back as 1994.  I know that Donny and Marie had their own show back, and Step by Step was a blatant ripoff of the Brady Bunch.

Written By: whistledog on 01/25/11 at 7:52 pm

UK act N-Trance took Stayin' Alive by The Bee Gees into the US/Canadian Top 40 in 1995.  It was their only hit in the US Hot 100, but they had another Top 20 in Canada with Rod Stewart's Da Ya Think I'm Sexy

Pam Grier made a BIG comeback in the 1997 film Jackie Brown which paid hommage to the Blaxploitation films she did in the 70s

The Brady Bunch Movie was a box office success in 1995.  Followed by A Very Brady Sequel in 1996, it also was a moderate success.

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/26/11 at 7:05 am

The Bee Gees also had three UK Top 20 hits in 1997, with "Alone" being a Top 5 hit and also a US Top 40 hit. But it was a bit tricky to see with all the '90s surrounding as it was more of a subculture than nostalgia for the '50s and '60s was.

Also, Game Show Network reran many game shows from the '70s, such as Match Game, The Price is Right from that era (before they were denied rights in 2000), Tattletales, Let's Make A Deal, Family Feud, The Joker's Wild, and more. There was even a bit of criticism after awile of trying to "bring back the shaggy era" for that network, and except for Match Game and (a little) Family Feud and Card Sharks, the network now mostly focuses on 1999+.

Also some radio stations tried "all 70s formats" or "all 70s weekends" for awhile before reverting to classic hits, classic rock, or gold-based adult contemporary.

Meatloaf had a #1 comeback hit in 1993 as well.

Written By: tv on 01/27/11 at 12:36 pm

I remember 70s nostalgia as far back as 1994.  I know that Donny and Marie had their own show back, and Step by Step was a blatant ripoff of the Brady Bunch.
"Step By Step" was much cooler than the "Brady Bunch". Maybe I was just a teenager in the 90's and I'm just showing my bias.

Yeah on Marie and Donnie they are still visible now. Its kinds of surprising how long(I'm just thinking about this now) they have managed to be visible through the different decades. The decade of the 80's wasn't good for them except for near end of the 80's when Donnie had a couple pop hits in 1989. I guess those couple hits kind of gave them a spring board to the Donnie & Marie Show in a way in the 90's.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/27/11 at 8:11 pm

"Step By Step" was much cooler than the "Brady Bunch". Maybe I was just a teenager in the 90's and I'm just showing my bias.

Yeah on Marie and Donnie they are still visible now. Its kinds of surprising how long(I'm just thinking about this now) they have managed to be visible through the different decades. The decade of the 80's wasn't good for them except for near end of the 80's when Donnie had a couple pop hits in 1989. I guess those couple hits kind of gave them a spring board to the Donnie & Marie Show in a way in the 90's.

I don't think you're being biased; Brady Bunch was just too cheesy at times for me even though I kinda like the show. Even though I like both I like Step By Step a lot more!

Written By: RG1995 on 01/27/11 at 8:37 pm

The Smashing Pumpkins had a song called "1979" too.

Check for new replies or respond here...