inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: So Generation Z starts in the early 1990s?

Written By: Kitkat1991 on 12/31/10 at 8:42 am

I was looking at some articles of the baby boom generation, then i decided to look up generation y and z. I thought those born in the early 90s are generation y? It says the earliest year is 1991. According to Wikipedia we are generation z.  I do remember life before technology, but at the same time I kind if grew up with it. So are we a generation y/z cusp?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Z

Subject: Re: So Generation Z starts in the early 1990s?

Written By: Kitkat1991 on 12/31/10 at 8:50 am

here's another article

http://www.smh.com.au/news/parenting/children-of-the-tech-revolution/2008/07/15/1215887601694.html

Written By: Shiv on 12/31/10 at 2:13 pm

I always considered generation Y to be those born between like 1985 and 1995.

Written By: joeman on 01/01/11 at 12:18 pm

I wouldn't start Generation Z until, at the earliest, 1999.  The people born in that year wouldn't remember 9/11 or the mood of society beforehand.

I wouldn't start Gen Y until 1978-1980, but I do agree that 1991 should be a start of cusps zone between Y and Z, due to being under 11 when 9/11 happened.

Written By: Milkof1996 on 01/01/11 at 4:20 pm

I was born in 1996, but I really don't consider myself completely Gen Y since I don't remeber a time before internet, but I also don't consider myself full Z becuase I remember a time before 9/11 and I remember when it was actually happening despite not understanding what it meant at the time.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/01/11 at 4:58 pm

Generation Z in my opinion is 1997 to 2012.

Generation Y is 1980-1996.

Again, this is just my opinion. I'll shut up now!  :-X

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/02/11 at 4:58 pm

I wouldn't start Generation Z until, at the earliest, 1999.  The people born in that year wouldn't remember 9/11 or the mood of society beforehand.

I wouldn't start Gen Y until 1978-1980, but I do agree that 1991 should be a start of cusps zone between Y and Z, due to being under 11 when 9/11 happened.

How would a 98er remember the mood of society before 911 and really capture how it was like? I was in high school when 911 happened so I remembered the way it was before the tragedy. 98ers would be 3 at most during 911.

Written By: joeman on 01/03/11 at 1:30 am

How would a 98er remember the mood of society before 911 and really capture how it was like? I was in high school when 911 happened so I remembered the way it was before the tragedy. 98ers would be 3 at most during 911.

Memories don't form until 3 years of age at the earliest.  They are on the cusps, as I think the cusp is going to be somewhere along the lines of people born 1991-2001.

Written By: Starde on 01/03/11 at 2:12 am

Hmm... I've usually heard Generation Y being around 1980 to 1994 and Generation Z starting at 1995 to around 2009 or before. :-\\

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/03/11 at 4:07 pm

Memories don't form until 3 years of age at the earliest.  They are on the cusps, as I think the cusp is going to be somewhere along the lines of people born 1991-2001.

Exactly.  According to research, most adults remember their earliest childhood at 3 years old.  So when a 1998er gets to be an adult, he's going to remember 2001 when 9/11 started because he was 3 years old in that year.  I don't know any adult that remembers anything before the age of 3.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/03/11 at 5:34 pm

Memories don't form until 3 years of age at the earliest.  They are on the cusps, as I think the cusp is going to be somewhere along the lines of people born 1991-2001.

I doubt someone who turned 3 in 2001 will remember the politics and events (both national and international) of 2001 such as 911. My first political memories formed at 4 and were of George H.W. Bush being president and Dan Quayle being vice president. I have memories prior to 3 but nothing political; mostly the general look of the old house I lived in, sporadic events, and some of the toys I had and TV shows I used to watch.  

I also want to say that 98er wouldn't have grown up in a pre 911 world, nor could they really capture the change in atmosphere.

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/03/11 at 7:37 pm

I doubt someone who turned 3 in 2001 will remember the politics and events (both national and international) of 2001 such as 911. My first political memories formed at 4 and were of George H.W. Bush being president and Dan Quayle being vice president. I have memories prior to 3 but nothing political; mostly the general look of the old house I lived in, sporadic events, and some of the toys I had and TV shows I used to watch.  

I also want to say that 98er wouldn't have grown up in a pre 911 world, nor could they really capture the change in atmosphere.

But in general, most adults do remember their earliest childhood at 3 years old.  Jim was telling the truth.  Age 3 is when you start forming memories. That's what Jim was talking about an adult will remember the events that happen at age 3 at the earliest.  I remember a lot of stuff when I was 3 years old.  Most of the memories I had at 3 were mostly music, TV shows, the neighborhood I lived in, etc. But Jim's right.  Memories do start forming at the age of 3 in general.

Written By: Mat1991 on 01/04/11 at 10:01 am

While we're on the subject of what age our earliest memories form, I actually have a couple of vague memories that possibly came before age three.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 01/04/11 at 8:10 pm

I was born in 1982. I can remember as far back as 3. I'm sure I heard the name Reagan as a kid, but Bush sr. was the first president I remember being all that aware of.

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/04/11 at 8:17 pm

I was born in 1982. I can remember as far back as 3. I'm sure I heard the name Reagan as a kid, but Bush sr. was the first president I remember being all that aware of.

Thank you.  You prove me right when you said that you remember being 3, and your first president that you remember at 3 was Reagan.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/04/11 at 10:30 pm

Who cares about Generation Z, why not pay attention to Ziyi Zhang?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OxQ-2gR1DU

Written By: RG1995 on 01/05/11 at 4:13 pm

I have no idea what my first memory was exactly. Pretty sure it was listening to Ricky Martin and Pokemon. Something in the late 90s-early 00s era

Written By: Mat1991 on 01/05/11 at 5:28 pm

I have no idea what my first memory was. Pretty sure it was listening to Ricky Martin and Pokemon.

I remember the Pokemon craze. My very first Pokemon card was of Jigglypuff.  ;D

Written By: Milkof1996 on 01/05/11 at 7:32 pm

My first memory was hiding from all of my family members and using the bathroom in the closet (Don't worry, I had a diaper on) because I even though I was potty trained, I was scared that the toilet was going to suck me in. I did this for a while until my mom got me over my fear through encouragement :-[. This was when I was 3 back in 1999.

Written By: Emman on 01/05/11 at 8:17 pm

Memories don't form until 3 years of age at the earliest.  They are on the cusps, as I think the cusp is going to be somewhere along the lines of people born 1991-2001.

My earliest memories go back to around 1988/1989(age 3-4), I can remember all the kids shows at the time and going to the grocery store, mundane stuff like that. The very first music video I remember seeing was the Thriller video, it scared the crap out of me ;D, MTV probably still played videos from earlier in the decade, I believe this was around 1989.

Written By: joeman on 01/05/11 at 9:14 pm

While we're on the subject of what age our earliest memories form, I actually have a couple of vague memories that possibly came before age three.

Please share with us.  I have heard stories about people remembering as far back as 11 months old.

Written By: Mat1991 on 01/05/11 at 10:39 pm

Please share with us.  I have heard stories about people remembering as far back as 11 months old.

Well, the only memory I have that I know definitely happened at a time before I was three years old was of my mom bathing me in the sink. I just remember looking up at her as she was bathing me, and that's it. This was between 1991 and 1994.

Another memory I have that may or may not have happened before age three was of going with my dad to drop off my older brother at school (my brother was in junior high at the time). My dad would often buy me some donuts, and when we got home, I'd sometimes watch Mary Poppins. I was probably about two or three at the time, meaning that that took place around 1993 or 1994.

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/05/11 at 10:57 pm

My earliest memories go back to around 1988/1989(age 3-4), I can remember all the kids shows at the time and going to the grocery store, mundane stuff like that. The very first music video I remember seeing was the Thriller video, it scared the crap out of me ;D, MTV probably still played videos from earlier in the decade, I believe this was around 1989.

Wow! This is very exciting talking about this.  My earliest childhood memories were when I was 3 years old in 1980 and 4 years old in 1981, when my mother and I moved in the Logan neighborhood in Philadelphia.  We lived in this small apartment that was owned by Asians.  I remember having this Pop Goes The Weasel toy.  It's a box that you turn the knob around, and the clown pops out of the box.  I remember dropping this toy out of the window by mistake.  I remember Sesame Street, Mr Rogers, Alice, Mork and Mindy, Happy Days in 1980-1981.  I mostly remember the music that came out in 1980 and 1981

Songs like

Rock With You-Michael Jackson
Off The Wall-Michael Jackson
Upside Down-Diana Ross
I'm Coming Out-Diana Ross
Celebration-Kool And The Gang
Superfreak-Rick James
I Wanna Be Your Lover-Prince
Behind The Groove-Teena Marie
I Need Your Lovin-Teena Marie
Young Love-Teena Marie
Aladdin's Lamp-Teena Marie
Square Biz-Teena Marie
You Make Love Like Springtime-Teena Marie
Portuguese Love-Teena Marie
Deja Vu-Teena Marie
Fire and Desire-Rick James and Teena Marie
Give It To Me Babe-Rick James
Just A Touch Of Love-Slave
Lady-Kenny Rogers
The Woman In Love-Barbra Streisand
Guilty-Barbra Streisand
a lot of disco that were leftovers from the 70s
Funkin For Jamaica-Tom Browne
What'Cha Gonna Do For Me-Chaka Khan
Biggest Part Of Me-Ambrosia
I Can't Go For That-Hall And Oates
Physical-Olivia Newton John
Magic-Olivia Newton John
Suddenly-Olivia Newton John
Silly-Deniece Williams
etc.
Second Time Around-Shalamar
Take Your Time Do It Right-The SOS Band
And The Beat Goes On-The Whispers
Stomp-The Brothers Johnson
And Love Goes On-Earth, Wind, and Fire
Let's Groove Tonight-Earth, Wind, and Fire
Endless Love-Lionel Richie and Diana Ross
I'm In Love-Evelyn Champagne King
Being With You-Smokey Robinson
Burn Rubber On Me-The Gap Band
Double Dutch Bus-Frankie Smith
Never Too Much-Luther Vandross

Written By: Starde on 01/06/11 at 9:25 pm

Well since we're talking about our earliest memories, my earliest memories were definitely from when I was 3 or 4 (though I think I was more 4 than 3) back in 1994 or 1995. Some are vague, some aren't. One of the earliest and clearest memories that I'll always treasure was being in the car seat in the back of my parents' car. We were driving back home after shopping at Price Club (now Costco). I believe that was the same day I got The Lion King on VHS. 8)

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/14/11 at 1:33 pm

I think Generation Y should stop at 1996, since they would have no preteen experience in the 10s.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/14/11 at 2:22 pm

I think Generation Y should stop at 1996, since they would have no preteen experience in the 10s.

Agree. To be a millennial I think you should have been between ages 4 and 18 on 1/1/2000.  Those older came of age in the '90s and those younger would have no conscious memories of the early 2000s.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/14/11 at 2:41 pm

Agree. To be a millennial I think you should have been between ages 4 and 18 on 1/1/2000.  Those older came of age in the '90s and those younger would have no conscious memories of the early 2000s.

Definitely. You've had to have had memories of the early 00s in order to be Generation Y. I think it's ridiculous when some people call 03ers generation Y.

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/14/11 at 6:23 pm

Agree. To be a millennial I think you should have been between ages 4 and 18 on 1/1/2000.  Those older came of age in the '90s and those younger would have no conscious memories of the early 2000s.

I can say the same thing about Generation X.  I think that to be a TRUE Generation Xer, that individual should have been between ages 3 and 15 in 1980.  At the age of 3, that's when memories start to form for long-term memory.  A TRUE Gen-Xer have to remember the early 80s, mid 80s, and late 80s.  The early 80s is 1980-1983.  The mid 80s is 1984-1986.  The late 80s is 1987-1989.  If you only remember the mid to late 80s clearly but remember the early 80s VERY VERY vaguely, then you are not a true Gen-Xer.  You're a Gen-Yer.  It's all about biology and how the brain functions and develops.  You have to be between ages 3 and 15 in 1980 to be a TRUE Gen-Xer in my opinion because you have to remember the 80s in its entirety either as a child, a teen, or a young adult. I remember being 3 years old in 1980, and I remember watching CHIPS, Alice, and Too Close For Comfort in late 1980, and I remember the music that came out that year.  The songs that came out in 1980 still sounded like the late 70s disco.  I remember the 80s in its entirety as a child, so I'm sure as hell ain't no Gen-Yer.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/14/11 at 9:29 pm

I can say the same thing about Generation X.  I think that to be a TRUE Generation Xer, that individual should have been between ages 3 and 15 in 1980.  At the age of 3, that's when memories start to form for long-term memory.  A TRUE Gen-Xer have to remember the early 80s, mid 80s, and late 80s.  The early 80s is 1980-1983.  The mid 80s is 1984-1986.  The late 80s is 1987-1989.  If you only remember the mid to late 80s clearly but remember the early 80s VERY VERY vaguely, then you are not a true Gen-Xer.  You're a Gen-Yer.  It's all about biology and how the brain functions and develops.  You have to be between ages 3 and 15 in 1980 to be a TRUE Gen-Xer in my opinion because you have to remember the 80s in its entirety either as a child, a teen, or a young adult. I remember being 3 years old in 1980, and I remember watching CHIPS, Alice, and Too Close For Comfort in late 1980, and I remember the music that came out that year.  The songs that came out in 1980 still sounded like the late 70s disco.  I remember the 80s in its entirety as a child, so I'm sure as hell ain't no Gen-Yer.

Actually the criteria for Generation X is that you were 20-something sometime in the 1990s, which could mean you were 29 in 1990 or 20 in 1999. This puts the dates for Gen-X from approximately 1961 through 1979.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/12/16 at 12:28 pm

No it sure doesn't. That article was definitely wrong when it stated that Plurals (Gen Z) began in the early 90s. That would really make the Millennial generation much shorter than it truly is. Besides, both cohorts are already larger than the previous generations, so there's no way that Millennials would end at 1989/90.

These are pretty good statements to make. The 2000s were the true decade for the Millennials, so I agree that most people feel the same way. Do you guys still the end the group at 1996 or has your views changed since you both made these posts?

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/12/16 at 1:49 pm

For some reason, I still see a lot of advertisers consider Gen Z to start in the early 90s. It's not as common as the mid 90s starting dates, but it's common enough for me to notice it. :P

I don't see why they would do that. That would make Millennials only 10 years. Thats too short for a generation.

Unless they're implying that Millennials start in the early 70s and end in the late 80s/early 90s which is crazy.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/12/16 at 3:20 pm

For some reason, I still see a lot of advertisers consider Gen Z to start in the early 90s. It's not as common as the mid 90s starting dates, but it's common enough for me to notice it. :P

I don't see why they would do that. That would make Millennials only 10 years. Thats too short for a generation.
Yeah, that is weird. The only way for it to end in the early 90s is to have the generation start in the late 70s since that will make it 15/16 years.

Unless they're implying that Millennials start in the early 70s and end in the late 80s/early 90s which is crazy.
They're using that span in Canada.

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/12/16 at 3:31 pm

No it sure doesn't. That article was definitely wrong when it stated that Plurals (Gen Z) began in the early 90s. That would really make the Millennial generation much shorter than it truly is. Besides, both cohorts are already larger than the previous generations, so there's no way that Millennials would end at 1989/90.
These are pretty good statements to make. The 2000s were the true decade for the Millennials, so I agree that most people feel the same way. Do you guys still the end the group at 1996 or has your views changed since you both made these posts?

Hmmm...I've looked at Wikipedia, and the majority of sources there define Millennials as ending in 1996.

I wonder if these sources were edited in by a 96er wanting to cram themselves into the last of the "cool VHS millennials", rather than the "spoiled entitled iPad plurals". :P

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/12/16 at 3:37 pm

Hmmm...I've looked at Wikipedia, and the majority of sources there define Millennials as ending in 1996.

I wonder if these sources were edited in by a 96er wanting to cram themselves into the last of the "cool VHS millennials", rather than the "spoiled entitled iPad plurals". :P
Probably so, but then again on other forums, I've seen people who are around Machine Head's, BChris's and Unconventional's ages that have either said the same thing or they move it up a little more because they somehow keep using the popularity of the interne as the cutoff. ;D

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/12/16 at 3:39 pm

It seems that every generation wants to be part of the "cool kids".

I've seen many, many people born in 1980-1984 (even extending to 86 in some cases) trying to shove themselves into the last of the "cool Gen Xers" rather than the first of the "spoiled whiny Millennials". :P

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/12/16 at 3:48 pm

I've seen many, many people born in 1980-1984 (even extending to 86 in some cases) trying to shove themselves into the last of the "cool Gen Xers" rather than the first of the "spoiled whiny Millennials". :P
Same here, but they have to understand that they're clearly not Xers. It's the same thing with the 1997-00 group as they shover themselves into being as well (even though they're barely part of the generation).

However, I can understand though because Gen X and Millennials (when they're not getting dumped on) are definitely cool generations to be apart of. I mean, Xers had grunge, hair metal, gangsta rap, new wave, and movies like the Breakfast Club while the Millennials had American Pie, pop-punk, Crunk rap, uptempo R&B, and indie music.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/12/16 at 9:23 pm

I can top that even. I've seen people born in 1990 complaining about "Millennials". ;D

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/12/16 at 9:31 pm

1983 and 1984 are indisputable Millennials to me but the earliest edge. 1982 is the last that can claim Gen X to me. 

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/12/16 at 9:32 pm

I can top that even. I've seen people born in 1990 complaining about "Millennials". ;D

S9RVS8cjNN0

Written By: JordanK1982 on 08/13/16 at 12:04 am

1982 is the last that can claim Gen X to me.

I completely agree with you.

Written By: 2001 on 08/13/16 at 12:20 am

Gen Y is 1982-2007.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/13/16 at 12:47 am

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

That's so hilarious since they don't even realize they are Millennials. ::)

1983 and 1984 are indisputable Millennials to me but the earliest edge. 1982 is the last that can claim Gen X to me. 
Nah, they're all Millennials, but they are the older ones.

Sorry Jordan! You're a Millennial ;)

Gen Y is 1982-2007.
No way! ;D No one from the 2000s is a Millennial. Gen Y is from the late 70s/early 80s to the mid/late 90s.

Check for new replies or respond here...