inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sophie B. Hawkins

Written By: Zeb on 01/14/11 at 7:32 pm

Sophie B. Hawkins was a recording artist from the 1990s and had two major hits to her name.  Her first hit was “Damn, I Wish I was your lover,” this came out in 92 when I was in second grade.  Her second hit was “As I lay me down” from 95 when I was in fifth grade.  I read on YouTube that the background voices are saying “who loves tacos?”  Just someone’s theory I guess.

Subject: Re: Sophie B. Hawkins

Written By: whistledog on 01/14/11 at 11:12 pm

Her success varied between North America and the UK.  I was never a big fan, but I did enjoy her songs when they came on the radio :)

1992 | Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover
1992 | California Here I Come
1993 | I Want You
1994 | Right Beside You
1994 | Don't Don't Tell Me No
1995 | As I Lay Me Down
1996 | Only Love (The Ballad of Sleeping Beauty)

Written By: nally on 01/15/11 at 1:20 pm

Sophie B. Hawkins was a recording artist from the 1990s and had two major hits to her name.  Her first hit was “Damn, I Wish I was your lover,” this came out in 92 when I was in second grade.  Her second hit was “As I lay me down” from 95 when I was in fifth grade. 

Yes, I remember both of those tracks. There was also "Only Love: The Ballad Of Sleeping Beauty", which was a minor hit in early '96 (from the same album as "As I Lay Me Down"), but didn't do too well on the charts.

I read on YouTube that the background voices are saying “who loves tacos?”  Just someone’s theory I guess.

Actually, many people thought that, but that's not correct. It's "ooh la kah koh", which is a foreign phrase that I don't quite know the meaning of.

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/15/11 at 1:33 pm

The only song that I liked from her was "Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover".  To me, that's a classic song. 

Written By: nally on 01/23/11 at 7:58 pm

Yes, I remember both of those tracks. There was also "Only Love: The Ballad Of Sleeping Beauty", which was a minor hit in early '96 (from the same album as "As I Lay Me Down"), but didn't do too well on the charts.

...and I hadn't heard it much since then, but I do think it is a rather underrated tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AIKXa63qbw

Written By: 80sfan on 01/23/11 at 8:01 pm

Oh God I love 'Damn, I wish I was your lover'! An amazing song.  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/malelovies.gif

Written By: zcrito on 02/13/11 at 6:43 pm

I never cared for
Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover.

But I always liked her 1995 song, As I Lay Me Down.
I was doing a lot of local interstate travel when it came out so I remember it well, and bought the CD it's on just a few years ago, too.

It's a "girly" song, but I like it.  ;D
Just another example of the good, varied and different kind of music that was being released in the '90s.

Written By: nally on 07/24/15 at 4:36 pm

Actually, many people thought that, but that's not correct. It's "ooh la kah koh", which is a foreign phrase that I don't quite know the meaning of.

According to Wiki, Sophie herself has admitted that it doesn't really mean anything.

The song features distinctive backing vocals, the repeated phrase "ooh la kah koh," sung by Hawkins herself. After initially explaining that this meant "wash your feet before you sleep" in an African language, Hawkins admitted that she actually made up the phrase while recording, and it has no particular meaning.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 08/04/15 at 11:23 pm

Oh God I love 'Damn, I wish I was your lover'! An amazing song.  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/malelovies.gif

I love it, also.

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/05/15 at 12:18 am

Sophie B. Hawkins was a recording artist from the 1990s and had two major hits to her name.  Her first hit was “Damn, I Wish I was your lover,” this came out in 92 when I was in second grade.  Her second hit was “As I lay me down” from 95 when I was in fifth grade.  I read on YouTube that the background voices are saying “who loves tacos?”  Just someone’s theory I guess.

I was 10 when I first heard As I lay me down and it was one of my favorites!

Written By: Ripley on 10/22/15 at 4:04 pm

I liked Damn I Wish I was Your Lover and the blocked from TV video as well

Written By: Dudefromthe 90s on 10/29/15 at 2:26 am

I liked Damn I Wish I was Your Lover and the blocked from TV video as well

This song is beautiful. I miss hearing it in 1995, when I was 12.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXWD1HjWI8M&list=PLB2412E4460AA66AF&index=12

Though I no longer live in Colorado, as I did in the 90s, I'm thinking of spending thousands (close to ten thousand, to move my family and furniture) to move back there (yes, it's that expensive to move back there).

I love that time, and I love the Denver area, where I grew up.

Hail Colorado, land of pot and awesomeness! (And pot was hugely popular decades before it was legal there!)

Written By: Dudefromthe 90s on 10/29/15 at 2:46 am

Spring 1997, when I was 14, was the first time I smoked pot, and it was in Colorado.

And it was awesome. And my friend's dad came home while we smoked up at his place, and then he asked us politely for a hit from his son's pipe. I was afraid he'd bust us, but really he just wanted a drag of our weed. And we gave it to him.

It was awesome! Then we listened to Stone Temple Pilots' "Trippin' on a Hole."

Written By: Howard on 10/29/15 at 2:36 pm

The only song I know is "As I Lay Me Down".

Check for new replies or respond here...