inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did any of you have an SNES in the 90s?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/15/11 at 3:35 pm

What was your favorite game? My favorites were Super Mario World, Donkey Kong, and Yoshi's Island.

Extremely memorable intro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDJoc8jlm-E

Subject: Re: Did any of you have an SNES in the 90s?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/15/11 at 3:37 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxeedVIIDCE&feature=related

This game was ultimate awesome.

Written By: Brad S on 01/15/11 at 6:23 pm

A better question is "Did any of you NOT have an SNES in the 90s?"

Written By: Mat1991 on 01/15/11 at 10:29 pm

I think I did. I know that there was one at my grandma's house. My cousin and I would play games on the SNES at my grandma's house all the time. Our favorite games were Super Mario World, The Simpsons: Bart's Nightmare, Street Fighters, and some other Mario games and games that involved fighting.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/15/11 at 10:29 pm

SNES was the first game system I owned. I remember playing Super Mario World very well, very nice memories.

Written By: whistledog on 01/15/11 at 11:29 pm

I never had an SNES, but I did rent one on occasion.  The best SNES game ever was 'Actraiser'.  The sequel 'Actraiser II', not so much as they took out the role playing and just had it straight action levels. 

but also not to forget what is (to me) still the greatest video game series of all time, I tip my hat to 'Super Double Dragon'

Written By: Ryan112390 on 01/16/11 at 12:54 pm

Yeah, we got one sometime between 1995 and 1998. I had Pitfall, Donkey Kong Country I and II, Super Mario World, and some others.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/16/11 at 1:05 pm

A better question is "Did any of you NOT have an SNES in the 90s?"

QTF

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/16/11 at 1:08 pm

I think I did. I know that there was one at my grandma's house. My cousin and I would play games on the SNES at my grandma's house all the time. Our favorite games were Super Mario World, The Simpsons: Bart's Nightmare, Street Fighters, and some other Mario games and games that involved fighting.

I used to go to the video store and rent games. Now here's a game I miss renting, even though it was tough to play at times:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJoMAW3poX8&feature=related

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/16/11 at 1:17 pm

Yeah, we got one sometime between 1995 and 1998. I had Pitfall, Donkey Kong Country I and II, Super Mario World, and some others.

I got my SNES when I turned 5 in 1991. Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country are definite classic video games. Donkey Kong Country had insanely good graphics at the time it was released (1994) as well as some of the most incredible gameplay you'll ever find. On Super Mario World, I went through so many secret levels and beat all of them in the "Top Secret Area", causing different colors in the map to appear. I never reached all 96 levels but came very close. I wish I had the game now (I have the SNES however) so I could reach all the levels.

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/16/11 at 1:29 pm

It's pretty amazing how much games cost back them ($40-$50) when nowadays you can download an emulator and some ROMs for free (just search online for instruction manuals). But I enjoyed SNES through most of the '90s. Even when the Nintendo 64 arrived, I still enjoyed SNES games until the end of the '90s for their "old school" look, as since most of SNES was 2D and N64 was 3D, it was quite a switch. Nowadays most games (especially sports and commons) can be found on eBay often for as little as $2 a piece.

Written By: Milkof1996 on 01/16/11 at 4:11 pm

If I had a SNES, this would probably be one of my favorites.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2TYCW5zyaE
Oh well, I'll always have my emulator

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/16/11 at 9:44 pm

It's pretty amazing how much games cost back them ($40-$50) when nowadays you can download an emulator and some ROMs for free (just search online for instruction manuals). But I enjoyed SNES through most of the '90s. Even when the Nintendo 64 arrived, I still enjoyed SNES games until the end of the '90s for their "old school" look, as since most of SNES was 2D and N64 was 3D, it was quite a switch. Nowadays most games (especially sports and commons) can be found on eBay often for as little as $2 a piece.

I remember they used to be pricey. However, I remember a free copy of Super Mario World coming with the SNES. Later on, I recall that Blockbuster and other video rental places were desperately trying to get rid of SNES games when they were being replaced by Nintendo 64 games. That's when I bought some SNES games for an incredible bargain. However, the values of the SNES games are going up due to their newfound collectibility. People are getting nostalgic and the games are retro in the world of electronics.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/16/11 at 10:17 pm

I remember N64 games were really pricey for a while some were like 80 bucks, this was like back in 1996. That's more than games cost today. I remember new PS1 games were usually like 40 bucks, then PS2/xbox/gc games were 50, and now ps3/360 games are 60 while Wii games are 50.

Written By: whistledog on 01/17/11 at 7:35 pm

The most expensive home console system was the Neo Geo.  The system itself cost in the area of $500-$600 with the cartridge games at about $299 a piece.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 01/17/11 at 9:22 pm

I never owned a SNES, but I own a NES, GameCube, GBA, and DS. I have played my cousins' SNES before, and I love Super Mario World, Super Mario All Stars, and Super Mario Kart.

Check for new replies or respond here...