inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 90's clothes

Written By: JaxRhapsody on 01/27/11 at 12:18 am

So one day on here I was looking at the 90's clothes pages and noticed a few things missing:

Those baggy jeans with the lil stripe down the sides
-I had a pair in elementary school but never had a real good pair.

Fila and LA Gear shoes
-Theres actually a store that still has some old original stock of both. Has the LA Gear boots, the all red Fila. Sadly none in my damn size!!! the shoes on display some of them you can see the glue and alot of them look just worn out being on display. God damn I want some.

Tommy Gear lanyards
-I know you can still get lanyards, but back when Tommy Hilfinger was big before he stated he didn't want us negros buyng his stuff and was reduced to selling bed spreads and linens they were big like the WWJD ones. I actually still had one up until a year or two ago when I was using it to free a lock, one end came loose. LOL the hook had a slight patina on it. Damn I want another one.

I cant think of anymore thats not there.

Subject: Re: 90's clothes

Written By: JaxRhapsody on 01/27/11 at 12:48 am

Not clothes but int he toy section HitClips are missing, God I need to find some of these and my player. Not to mention K'Nex god Those were the sheesh before they started adding lego type pieces

Written By: Mat1991 on 01/27/11 at 8:16 pm

From looking at many old yearbooks and photos from the '90s, I noticed that a lot of people tucked in their shirts. They'd wear a plain t-shirt tucked in their pants or shorts, and an unbuttoned flannel top over it.

I also noticed a lot of people wearing those plain t-shirts with the pockets positioned at the breast.

The general feel I get from '90s fashion is that it was, for the most part, very low-maintenance.

Written By: joeman on 01/27/11 at 9:16 pm

Some brand name styles that were big when I was in middle/high school:

Tommy Hilfiger
Polo
Ralph Lauren
Fubu
Calvin Klien

Flannel and Button down shirts were big, as where big baggy pants and cargo shorts.

Written By: RG1995 on 01/27/11 at 10:00 pm

Some brand name styles that were big when I was in middle/high school:

Tommy Hilfiger
Polo
Ralph Lauren
Fubu
Calvin Klien

Flannel and Button down shirts were big, as where big baggy pants and cargo shorts.
So I'm guessing the "preppy" look was big in the 90s?

Written By: joeman on 01/28/11 at 7:00 am

So I'm guessing the "preppy" look was big in the 90s?

Yes it was, as it was cool to wear Tommy Hilfiger shirts at the time.  At Middle School, people used to brag about shoes too, especially if you have Air Jordan sneakers.  I used to beg my parents at the time to buy my shoes that were over 100 dollars, and then having it fall apart within 6 months  :D.

I think the brands and styles went in all the way into 2002.  Once I got out of HS, I notice a huge change in fashion and music  :o.

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/28/11 at 8:33 pm

Here are the type of clothes that were popular when I was in middle school (1988-1991) and high school (1991-1995)

Cross Colours
Afrocentric clothing
Rayon shirts
Baggy dickies
Baggy clothes
Flannel shirts
Carhart Jackets
Timberlands
LA Gears
British Knights
OPP jackets
Corniche clothes
Triple Goose Down Jackets
Door knockers
Bell Bottoms
Chokers
Bright color clothes
Polka Dot clothes (dammit Kwame!)
Baby Doll Dresses
Penny Loafers
Blossom hats
Converse shoes
Acid washed jeans

Written By: bchris02 on 01/31/11 at 10:09 pm

Surprised nobody has mentioned Jncos.  They were all the rage from about 1997 through about 1999 at my school.  Then they went out of style about as fast as they came in.  I was still wearing them into 2000 and finally ditched them when I started to be made fun of. 

Written By: amjikloviet on 08/15/11 at 1:04 pm

Bodysuits and baggy jeans, Babydoll dresses. I remember in 95-96 plaid dresses and skirts were popular for a while.

Check for new replies or respond here...