inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hootie and the Blowfish

Written By: Creeder on 02/07/11 at 5:48 pm

I just listened to "Cracked Rear View" album and started wondering why they are so forgotten. I mean their first album went 16× multi-platinum (that sooo much) and its a damn good rock album btw.
Are they so painfully 90's that they can't be listenable by newer fans? They are just like "Huey Lewis and the News" from the 80s which are also forgotten.

Subject: Re: Hootie and the Blowfish

Written By: Mat1991 on 02/07/11 at 7:29 pm

I really like their song I Go Blind.

Written By: whistledog on 02/07/11 at 8:04 pm

Darius Rucker is singing country music now, and doing much better

Written By: joeman on 02/07/11 at 9:35 pm

Yes, you are right Whistledog, I remember seeing him a couple of years ago on TV performing his country hit.

Hootie and the Blowfish were popular during a transition stage imo.  I doubt they would have made it before 1996 or after 1996.  I still enjoy some of their songs even though I confuse them with Sister Hazel.

Written By: JTCool on 02/07/11 at 9:45 pm

I really like their song I Go Blind.

I second that!

Written By: whistledog on 02/08/11 at 12:38 am

I hadn't realized how brief their success was.  Only 6 US Top 40 hits?  Surely, they did better in the US Rock chart

1994 - Hold My Hand
1995 - Let Her Cry
1995 - Hey Hey What Can I Do
1995 - Only Wanna Be With You
1996 - Time
1996 - I Go Blind
1996 - Old Man and Me
1996 - Tucker's Town
1996 - Sad Caper
1998 - I Will Wait
1999 - Only Lonely

Written By: Creeder on 02/08/11 at 2:36 am

Hootie and the Blowfish were popular during a transition stage imo.  I doubt they would have made it before 1996 or after 1996.

That must be the right answer. We can also add Counting Crows to this category.

Written By: nicole1977 on 02/08/11 at 3:33 am

I like their song "Only Wanna Be With You".

Written By: wsmith4 on 03/07/11 at 1:56 pm

I liked "I Go Blind" and "Sad Caper"

Written By: nally on 03/07/11 at 2:01 pm

I hadn't realized how brief their success was.  Only 6 US Top 40 hits?  Surely, they did better in the US Rock chart

"I Go Blind" had hit the US Airplay chart, but not the main Pop Singles chart. I liked that one, as well as...

1994 - Hold My Hand
1995 - Let Her Cry

1995 - Only Wanna Be With You
1996 - Time

...all of which were tracks from their debut album Cracked Rear View.

Too bad their second album, Fairweather Johnson, wasn't quite as successful. However, I did enjoy "Old Man And Me/When I Get To Heaven" when it was a hit in the summer of '96.

Written By: tv on 03/07/11 at 5:24 pm

"I Go Blind" had hit the US Airplay chart, but not the main Pop Singles chart. I liked that one, as well as...

...all of which were tracks from their debut album Cracked Rear View.

Too bad their second album, Fairweather Johnson, wasn't quite as successful. However, I did enjoy "Old Man And Me/When I Get To Heaven" when it was a hit in the summer of '96.
I looked it up on wikipedia and "I Go Blind" hit #3 on the US Adult Contemprary Chart and #22 on the US AC Chart.

Written By: tv on 03/07/11 at 5:29 pm

I just listened to "Cracked Rear View" album and started wondering why they are so forgotten. I mean their first album went 16× multi-platinum (that sooo much) and its a damn good rock album btw.Are they so painfully 90's that they can't be listenable by newer fans? They are just like "Huey Lewis and the News" from the 80s which are also forgotten.
I think they got too popular too fast thats why had a short musical run like they did. I think they got popular fast because some music fans at the time didn't care for music that was grunge or gangsta rap and Hootie's arrival in the music scene filled that void. Its just a theory. The 90's even up to 1997 had a rep of grunge music being too popular.

Huey Lewis and The News had more longevity than Hootie did. I think Huey Lewis and the News songs were still on the charts in the early 90's although they were on the lower reaches of the Billboard Hot 100(like #40 at the time.)

Written By: tv on 03/07/11 at 5:36 pm

I remember Hootie came out with an album in 1998 and Music Choice a sattelite TV radio station had a channel dedicated to their new album for a short time. Of course the album flopped. I mean they just didn't fit in a world of rap, R&B, and teen-pop at the time. Mid 1994-to maybe mid 1996 was their era. Its kinda the time grunge was on the downswing after Kurt Cobain died and late 90's teen-pop wasn't around yet.

Written By: nally on 03/08/11 at 10:06 am

I looked it up on wikipedia and "I Go Blind" hit #3 on the US Adult Contemprary Chart and #22 on the US AC Chart.

It hit two positions on the same chart? Wait, I'm confused...

I am looking it up on Wiki now and it says #3 was on the Adult Top 40 chart. But you are right about #22 on the other chart. I also remember that it reached Casey Kasem's American Top 20 countdown and reached the top ten on there.

Written By: whistledog on 03/08/11 at 10:51 am

I am kind of surprised that Hootie and the Blowfish covered 'I Go Blind'.  The original 1986 version was by a Canadian group called 54-40, who, as far as I know, had zero success in the States.

Written By: nally on 03/08/11 at 4:46 pm

I am kind of surprised that Hootie and the Blowfish covered 'I Go Blind'.  The original 1986 version was by a Canadian group called 54-40, who, as far as I know, had zero success in the States.

I never even knew that it was a cover. And you're probably right about 54-40; I'd never even heard of 'em.

Written By: Satish on 03/09/11 at 12:32 pm

Hootie and the Blowfish were actually huge fans of 54-40. They used to do covers of "I Go Blind" and "Baby Ran" quite often when they were starting out.

I actually liked Hootie's songs back around 1995 and 1996 when they were really big, though it's pretty embarrassing to admit now, though. What were we all thinking?  ;D

Written By: wsmith4 on 03/09/11 at 12:49 pm

wow Hootie and Blowfish, huh?  I don't even remember them.  What was their favorite song?

Check for new replies or respond here...