inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who misses the melisma style of singing?

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/08/11 at 6:41 am

Not too long ago a NYTimes article stated how melisma-style singing, where a singer usually uses extra power to emphasize the lyrics of a melody, pretty much nowadays seems to be a relic of a bygone era given the absence of such songs on the radio in the past several years. It showed how Christina Aguilera in the later part of the era had her latest album flop (although it did have lots of autotune which alienated many fans), along with no Grammy nominations. The VH1 Divas specials in the late '90s/early '00s showcased the best of these singers as well. These songs really grabbed your attention when they were current given the wide range in dynamics, despite being mainly ballads. It was a time when vocal was more important than rhythm. But nowadays the reverse is true!

Here is that article for more details:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/26/arts/music/26browne.html

Subject: Re: Who misses the melisma style of singing?

Written By: nicole1977 on 02/08/11 at 3:49 pm

That style of singing ran the 90s from Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, SWV, Xscape, Celine Dion, etc. 

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/09/11 at 7:58 am

That style of singing ran the 90s from Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, SWV, Xscape, Celine Dion, etc. 

Actually, this style had its roots in the 1950s with stuff like Sam Cooke (You Send Me), Etta James (At Last), and inherited itself out of the '80s power ballad style (Irene Cara, Gloria Estefan, Deniece Williams, Richard Marx, and Anita Baker clearly show the development of melisma's rise) to reach its cresendo in the '90s. Michael Bolton, Luther Vandross, and early R Kelly also qualify for this style. By the early '00s, the quality material waned (Faith Hill's "There Will Be" from 2001's Pearl Harbor soundtrack was one of the last true melisma-style hits). Then comes Ashanti and Alicia Keys and the trend went back to normal singing and more on the accompiament and rhythm. But what caused the decline of this style, as unlike the Boy Bands phenomena which had a fairly clear ending, I believe a combination of events led to the decline and demise of the "melisma ballad era":

1. Such melisma artists were just "outmoded" by the newer "glam rap/sex rap" trends of the early '00s
2. The rise of ProTools and other technology renewed the emphasis on the rhythm, making the human element less important along with the rise of Autotne.
3. The lame quality of songs in the early to mid '00s that were simply overcliche, this caused the new Generation Y teenagers to view this stuff as "old people's music", feeling that anything without a hip hop or metal element is "too old".

Written By: nicole1977 on 02/09/11 at 3:31 pm

I feel you on the history of this style.  I'm a music historian myself.  I think that the melisma style of singing started like you said with Sam Cooke in the 50s.  When soul became popular in the 60s with Aretha Franklin (the queen of melismas), Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett, etc, the melisma style of singing became popular.  That's why I love music from the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/09/11 at 7:31 pm

Those woman and more can sing their butt off!  :D

Written By: nicole1977 on 02/10/11 at 11:44 am

Those woman and more can sing their butt off!  :D

Exactly.  Nowadays, when's the last time you heard women that sing like that?

Written By: 80sfan on 02/10/11 at 7:20 pm

Exactly.  Nowadays, when's the last time you heard women that sing like that?

The 90s was the decade of 'the voice'.

Celine, Mariah, Whitney, etc..

Written By: nicole1977 on 02/10/11 at 7:57 pm

The 90s was the decade of 'the voice'.

Celine, Mariah, Whitney, etc..

Yeah.  The 90s reminded me of the 70s.  The 90s were about voices more than rhythm.  In the 2000s, it all changed.  It's all about rhythm than voices, and the voices are being replaced by autotune. I think that the last time I heard melisma-style singing was the neo-soul movement in the late 90s/early 2000s.  When Ashanti and all of those people came out, now it's just plain old singing.  No emotion.  Only Beyonce and Christina Aguilera has that melisma-type singing, but they too had sold out and join the Lady GaGa phase.

Check for new replies or respond here...