inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite Alternative Song: February 1991

Written By: RG1995 on 02/18/11 at 7:48 pm

Because the Billboard Top 10 in February 1991, is too similar to January 1991, I decided to have you vote on Alternative Rock songs this week. This is the February 1991 Top 10 Alt Rock charts. More late-80's stuff because this was before Grunge exploded into the scene.

Subject: Re: Favorite Alternative Song: February 1991

Written By: whistledog on 02/18/11 at 8:15 pm

aniel Ash.  Would never expect to see him in a poll.  For that alone, I vote for him.  Long live Love and Rockets!

Written By: midnite on 02/18/11 at 9:27 pm

sorry had to go with Chris Isaak on this one.  The Jesus Jones song was so good, but the album was such a letdown.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/19/11 at 7:52 am

Wicked Game - Chris Isaak

..for me too!

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/19/11 at 8:47 pm

Going with Jesus Jones and the saddest song of the 1990s.  The world was supposed to end up a lot freer than how it actually played out, but for a couple of years (and a couple of albums) it was pretty neat.

As for the album Doubt, I dunno, International Bright Young Thing and Real, Real, Real were decent enough tracks.  It was the 90s, did you expect every track on the album to be awesome?  Three danceable singles off one album's pretty good.   With a nod to the next album Perverse, well, zeroes and ones almost got us there.

For you young'uns who don't get the whole early-90s optimism - the West had spent about 40 years worrying about a bunch of fanatical ideologues who actually had nukes.  Not just one or two, but thousands of 'em.  Whole world was gonna and in fire.  In the space of 2-3 years, every dictatorship collapsed and was replaced by throngs of people who just wanted to listen to our music and wear our blue jeans.

Imagine what's going on in Egypt and the rest of the post-9/11 scary-part-of-the-world, and imagine if the dictatorships had been actual military threats to us, and imagine if everyone on the street was waving an American flag.  That's kinda what the breakup of the Soviet Union and the Warsaw Pact felt like (from those of us living in the West :), and Jesus Jones captured the vibe beautifully.  

Subject: Favorite Alternative Song: February 1991

Written By: Dude111 on 03/03/18 at 12:51 pm

Right Here Right Now <<>> Jesus Jones

Check for new replies or respond here...