inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Fox Network in the 90s

Written By: ProfS on 02/27/11 at 4:40 pm

How many of you loved Fox Network in the 90s? That might have been the best network on TV at the time. They had the best shows; The Simpsons, King of the Hill, Married...with Children, Sliders, and so many others. That network was also one where you could see the 90s shift to the 00s. Remember all the shock shows like When Animals Attack, a surgery special (can't remember the name of that one), World's Most Shocking Moments, and shows like that were on starting about 1999? That started the shift to reality TV.

Subject: Re: Fox Network in the 90s

Written By: Mat1991 on 02/28/11 at 7:44 pm

I didn't really watch any of those shows in the '90s, because I was too busy watching Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon.  ;D

Anyway, Fox still has that Animation Domination block every Sunday night, which shows episodes of The Simpsons, American Dad, Family Guy, and Bob's Burgers. I look forward to that block every Sunday.

Written By: popguru85 on 02/28/11 at 11:34 pm

I didn't really watch any of those shows in the '90s, because I was too busy watching Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon.  ;D

Anyway, Fox still has that Animation Domination block every Sunday night, which shows episodes of The Simpsons, American Dad, Family Guy, and Bob's Burgers. I look forward to that block every Sunday.

Yea but still you had the X-Files, America's Most Wanted, Cops, Melrose Place, 90210, Party of Five, etc. and they also had kick ass cartoons like Bobby's World, The Tick, The X Men, Batman, etc.

Written By: FrankDank on 03/01/11 at 2:40 pm

Late 90s Fox was awesome. I loved all those exploitative shock shows...there was pretty much a new one every week. There was some religious one that "proved" that miracles were real, and had sheesh like a floating table and they assured everyone that it was 100% with no trickery involved. Great stuff.

Written By: joeman on 03/01/11 at 11:18 pm

Yea but still you had the X-Files, America's Most Wanted, Cops, Melrose Place, 90210, Party of Five, etc. and they also had kick ass cartoons like Bobby's World, The Tick, The X Men, Batman, etc.

That's true.  "Fox Kids" used to be on FOX actually until around 1993 or so.

Written By: ProfS on 03/01/11 at 11:39 pm

My favorite one of those shock shows was the extraterrestrial one. They showed what they claimed was an alien captured. I think this was also the time when Maury Povich opened the tombs in Egypt. Everyone kept comparing it to Geraldo Rivera's Al Capone vault fiasco. Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire was on in the late 90s as well. What happened to Fox Network? It was king in the 90s. It seems about the only thing left is The Simpsons and I can't stand that show anymore. It quit being funny in the late 90s, early 00s.

Written By: whistledog on 03/02/11 at 8:05 pm

FOX, the network that decided to piss off the censors by airing TV shows that would make priests hang themselves.

Written By: nally on 03/03/11 at 2:47 pm

That's true.  "Fox Kids" used to be on FOX actually until around 1993 or so.

Yes, I often watched it in the early 1990's, from 1990-92. They had cartoons such as "Tiny Toon Adventures", "Beetlejuice", and "Bobby's World" in the afternoon time slots.

Written By: joeman on 03/03/11 at 5:51 pm

Yes, I often watched it in the early 1990's, from 1990-92. They had cartoons such as "Tiny Toon Adventures", "Beetlejuice", and "Bobby's World" in the afternoon time slots.

So did I.  I really liked Beetlejuice the best, which is weird since the movie was nothing like the cartoon.

Written By: tv on 03/03/11 at 6:33 pm

I didn't watch it back then but "New York Undercover" was a real good cop show. I mean actors/actrresses like Jennifer Espisito, Jessie Martin, Johnnathan LaPaglia, Michael Michelle, Ice-T,  and Paul Guilfoyle got their start there I think.

Written By: nally on 03/03/11 at 10:48 pm

So did I.  I really liked Beetlejuice the best, which is weird since the movie was nothing like the cartoon.

Yeah, when I first saw it (the cartoon) I thought it seemed kinda weird at first, but as I watched a full episode of it, it was actually kinda funny. :D I haven't seen the film though.

Written By: popguru85 on 03/03/11 at 10:57 pm

On sundays they had a worlds funniest home videos show and NFL football in the fall. I also remember Futurama debuting and Family Guy starting up in 1999. The "shift" to reality competition shows started in 2000/2001 with shows like Temptation Island. I was looking through a book and my little sister finds it hard to believe that The Simpsons used to be on Thursday Nights and thanks to the internet i rediscovered In Living Color. 20 years later, some of the skecthes are dated but a good majority still hold up.

Written By: nally on 03/03/11 at 11:01 pm

^ Yes, I remember, Simpsons were on Thursday nights, from August 1990 until mid-1994. I often liked to try and watch 'em during that time.

Written By: popguru85 on 03/03/11 at 11:11 pm

I just popped in MAD-TV's first season and was suprised how much the first couple seasons borrowed from the magazine. They had animations like Spy vs. Spy and Parodies like Gump Fiction. It's a shame they fell into the SNL trap of recurring characters.

Written By: JaxRhapsody on 03/14/11 at 4:13 am

Not only that but there was another show kinda like Who's Line that aired after Mad TV. The Simpsons whoever is actually an 80's cartoon. Started out on a variety show in 87. But yeah Fox in the 90's was the sheesh. New York Undercover was one of my favorite show's. Aside from SouthLAnd I hate cop shows. Well I like Memphis Beat too. Most of the time when I spent the night over my Granny's house because she never bought(and still doesn't have) cable, it was usually up to Fox and UPN to give me something to watch. I was the only kid I knew that liked to watch informercials and the news. Remember Hard Copy?

Written By: 80sfan on 03/14/11 at 5:56 am

I loved the Fox Network up until about 2000.

Written By: ProfS on 03/14/11 at 8:07 pm

The Simpsons may have started out as a variety show in 87 and premiered its first full-length episode in 1989, but that show was 90s through and through.

Check for new replies or respond here...