inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What years were the early 90s recession?

Written By: 80sfan on 03/18/11 at 11:54 am

As you can tell, I have an interest in the economy (with the 80s thread on recession), especially with the big recession we're going through now.

But when was the recession in the early 90s? What years were they? When did the recession stop?

Subject: Re: What years were the early 90s recession?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/18/11 at 1:31 pm

Yes, check here

Written By: 80sfan on 03/18/11 at 1:32 pm

Yes, check here

Thank you.

Written By: youngerderek on 03/28/11 at 10:19 am

i can't remember, but i've heard it went from late 1990 to 1993.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/28/11 at 5:05 pm

i can't remember, but i've heard it went from late 1990 to 1993.

I think that by 1993, the economy was better.

I don't think it was even that bad in 1992, maybe the first half there was a recession?

Written By: bchris02 on 03/28/11 at 9:19 pm

The 1991 recession was worse than the 2001 recession but nothing compared to what we are going through today.  The 1991 recession was enough to oust the Reagan-Bush dynasty that had a remarkable 12 year reign.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/28/11 at 9:32 pm

The 1991 recession was worse than the 2001 recession but nothing compared to what we are going through today.  The 1991 recession was enough to oust the Reagan-Bush dynasty that had a remarkable 12 year reign.

In the future December 2007 to whenever this recession ends, we well call this era "The Great Recession".  :D

Written By: tv on 03/29/11 at 12:44 pm

In the future December 2007 to whenever this recession ends, we well call this era "The Great Recession".  :D
The current recession did end in August of 2009.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/30/11 at 1:10 am

A lot of people (including me) don't think that that's true and that we're still in a recession.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/30/11 at 1:20 am

It is best describe as that the UK is still in a recession.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/30/11 at 1:23 am

Yeah, Philip Eno, I don't believe it when the government says the recession is over. It definitely isn't over.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/30/11 at 1:26 am

Yeah, Philip Eno, I don't believe it when the government says the recession is over. It definitely isn't over.
Inflation is still on the up, along with unemployment, it is getting worse over here.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/30/11 at 1:52 am

Inflation is still on the up, along with unemployment, it is getting worse over here.

Inflation is up in America too. I heard somewhere that unemployment is getting better, but I don't believe it.

It's a worldwide economy!

Written By: youngerderek on 03/30/11 at 4:59 pm

It's COMPLETE BS the "recession" ended in 2009. I would say at the moment it is slightly better than it was in 2009 or 2010, but it's definitely not over even now.

Written By: bchris02 on 03/30/11 at 9:20 pm

The government usually calls the end of recessions long before the public finally feels recovery.  The 1990s recession ended in late 1991 but people didn't feel it until late 1992 into 1993.  Same with the 2001 recession.  Ended in November 2001, the public didn't feel recovery until late 2003 at the earliest.

Written By: tv on 04/01/11 at 6:24 pm

It's COMPLETE BS the "recession" ended in 2009. I would say at the moment it is slightly better than it was in 2009 or 2010, but it's definitely not over even now.
The reccession did end in August 2009 but Obama's policy's continue to drastically pro-long the recession. The recession started near the end of Bush's(W.) presidency and Obama is prolonging the recession big time with his healthcare bill, his buddy relationship with the environmental left, and surging inflation of the dollar.

Written By: tv on 04/01/11 at 6:27 pm

Yeah I have a good friend in the UK and basically the economic situation is the same in the UK as it is in the US right now with the high unemployment.

Written By: tv on 04/01/11 at 6:34 pm

Inflation is up in America too. I heard somewhere that unemployment is getting better, but I don't believe it.

It's a worldwide economy!
Yeah The Federal Reserve keeps on pumping money into the system in order to keep interests rates at 0% so that is pumping up inflation.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/01/11 at 9:22 pm

The reccession did end in August 2009 but Obama's policy's continue to drastically pro-long the recession. The recession started near the end of Bush's(W.) presidency and Obama is prolonging the recession big time with his healthcare bill, his buddy relationship with the environmental left, and surging inflation of the dollar.

We went from 10% unemployment to 8.8% unemployment so far, I guess we're making progress. But of course, 8.8 is still too big!

Check for new replies or respond here...