inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Simpsons

Written By: ProfS on 03/20/11 at 7:04 pm

Even though this show did premiere in 1989 in its sitcom form, I think this show was the most defining show of the 90s. It epitomized life during this decade. Even though it is still on, it tanked in 2000 and I think it was just not relevant anymore by this point.

Subject: Re: The Simpsons

Written By: whistledog on 03/20/11 at 8:11 pm

t tanked in 2000 and I think it was just not relevant anymore by this point.

Then don't watch it

Written By: RG1995 on 03/20/11 at 9:36 pm

No doubt better in the 90's

Written By: kevwa10191 on 03/20/11 at 9:56 pm

I use to love it up till about 10 years ago, now I can't stand it anymore.  Its a shame they keep renewing it because considering how huge it was originally, it deserved to go out with dignity, not the stinky mess it is now.

better for a show to go out on a good note.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/21/11 at 9:07 pm

I loved 90s simpsons and I thought it was still okay in the early 00s, by 2005 I didn't watch another episode again.

Written By: ProfS on 03/23/11 at 8:45 pm

Whistledog, did I say I watched it?

Written By: MrCleveland on 03/24/11 at 12:56 pm

I watched "The Simpsons" from 1997 to 2002.

When FOX renewed "The Simpsons" in 2002, I vowed NEVER to watch it again. Sometimes I HAD to watch "The Simpsons" because I was in the same room as everyone else, but the episode that I felt that "The Simpsons" jumped the shark was when Homer got a crayon out of his brain and he was smarter. It was sad that Homer became dumb again.

The other episode that gave me the turn-off of "The Simpsons" was "Blame it on Lisa". This episode angered a few Cariocas (Rio de Janerio Natives) and I thought it was stupid because in 1942 (60 years before this episode aired) Walt Disney and a few animators went to Brazil and basically made a Brazilian Stereotype named...Jose Carioca (He's the parrot in "The Three Caballeros"). Today, Jose carioca is STILL liked to many Cariocas while "Blame it on Lisa" is probably shelved in Brazil...I dunno, I've never been to Brazil nor Bahia (Salvador, Brazil).

Now I won't watch "The Simpsons" because it's the Wal-Mart of Prime-Time Television...you can't get rid of it!

Written By: 80sfan on 03/24/11 at 3:04 pm

I read on wikipedia  ;D that most people felt The Simpsons was passed its peak by the end of season 10. And by 2000, even fans have become disillusioned with the show.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/24/11 at 3:37 pm

Then don't watch it
I gave up watching The Simpsons when it became unfunny.

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/25/11 at 6:32 am

I read on wikipedia  ;D that most people felt The Simpsons was passed its peak by the end of season 10. And by 2000, even fans have become disillusioned with the show.

Maybe now that the 20-year "retro cycle" now works, we could return to the "good old days" of the Simpsons with an updated twist. However in terms of charachters, we're nearly a generation removed in real life. For instance, someone in 1990 who was 10 (the same age as Bart) would now be 31 today and many have kids of their own! This probably shows that the fans of Bart/Lisa then are probably mostly fans of Homer/Marge these days! However, the Nickelodeon show All Grew Up literally killed the Rugrats, and such changes would need caution. But many people may start to go back to the Simpsons and view it as a great show from a simpler time.

Written By: joeman on 03/25/11 at 6:53 am

Maybe now that the 20-year "retro cycle" now works, we could return to the "good old days" of the Simpsons with an updated twist. However in terms of charachters, we're nearly a generation removed in real life. For instance, someone in 1990 who was 10 (the same age as Bart) would now be 31 today and many have kids of their own! This probably shows that the fans of Bart/Lisa then are probably mostly fans of Homer/Marge these days! However, the Nickelodeon show All Grew Up literally killed the Rugrats, and such changes would need caution. But many people may start to go back to the Simpsons and view it as a great show from a simpler time.

While I don't really like today's Simpsons, making them into adults now would destroy them, or even replacing them with a similiar family.  Think Saved By the Bell when the gang went to College or a new class to replace them(yet both still had Screech...).

Written By: youngerderek on 04/05/11 at 4:07 am

i think they should just end the show, let it die with dignity.

Check for new replies or respond here...