inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1990s.....

Written By: GMC1960 on 03/23/11 at 2:09 pm

The worst decade ever. People call the 80's the decade that fashion forgot... well the 90's are the decade that EVERYTHING forgot. The 90's have consisted on reviving all the previous decades of the 20th century, not one thing in the 90's is entirely original.  ::)

Lots of former 90's kids think the 90's was the best, but they were being born in the 80's and missed out on the true fact that the 80's was a million times better! By the 90's, cartoons began to change to just pure goofy comedy crap. In the 80's, the innocence, charm, and adventure/plot stories were just so terrific. I never missed He Man and She Ra, Duck Tales, Muppet Babies, Inspector Gadget, Dennis the Menace, and so forth.

For some God damn stupid reason TV LAND is showing only 90's TV shows and that's ridiculous. 90's is actually very recent in time, nothing classic about it or "retro" when compared to the decades before 90's. They should do shows that go up to the 80's and stop there. The 70' and 80's were the final 2 decades of good TV. 90's TV started to go to hell real fast. 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's - when TV was good.

Someone mentioned in another website that there should be an "That '90s Show". I disagree. I dont think it would be any good. It would be like any other tv show. Theres nothing special about the 90's.  The 90's sucked. Well from what I remember. The 90s were uneventful and stifled by conformty, unlike the 70s. Thank god this isn't a real show. A period show about the 90s would be terrible. There's nothing really significant about the 90s to make a period show about it. At least not this soon after the 90s. Who knows, maybe in 20 years, people will all find a new love for boy bands and crappy fashion... I think with where everyone is at right now... we're sick to death of Clinton jokes, which would probably be a big part of a "That 90s Show"....if it were real.

I'm usually a man who gripes about the 1990's, so I can't believe I'm going to
come to the defense of a decade that seemed stifling (the 1990's, of course). I
just want people to know that this post is not an attack on the 1980's, which I
loved probably as much as anyone reading this post, nor am I saying that the
1990's were better than the 1980's (I would disagree with that assertion). I am
saying that, in retrospective, the 1990's didn't suck quite as bad as some
people suggest. Then again, the relative "suckitude" of a decade is entirely
subjective anyway. ;-)

Pop Culture in the USA back in the 1990s sucked in general.

Subject: Re: 1990s.....

Written By: RG1995 on 03/23/11 at 2:14 pm

Uuuum....yeah....no it didn't. Music was deiverse. Fashion was WAAAAAAY different than the 80's. Sitcoms were awesome. Wrestling reached a peak with WWF/WCW war. Grunge and Hip-Hop brought interesting stuff to the table. Late 90's had all the school shootings. Terrorism was widely seen(Domestic including). We had a war with Iraq and a bunch of confliscts(similar to the current Libya War) in Bosnia and Kosovo. Clinton was a pimp. OJ trial. Nickelodean vs. Cartoon Network vs. Disney when they showed cartoons. A LOT of stuuf happened.

Written By: GMC1960 on 03/23/11 at 2:17 pm

Um what?  ??? All of those stuff you typed there is what made the 90s sucked!

Written By: Mat1991 on 03/23/11 at 2:32 pm

I was born in the early '90s and I had a lot of fun growing up during that time period. I only speak for myself and nobody else, though.

Written By: RG1995 on 03/23/11 at 2:47 pm

Um what?  ??? All of those stuff you typed there is what made the 90s sucked!
You act as though nothing happened and it was a broing decade.

Written By: MrCleveland on 03/23/11 at 3:49 pm

I disagree...

The 90's started as a Grunge Decade when it came to music, then alternative kicked-in which was a pretty broad genre (It ranged between folky and grungy). Then there was the Bit Wars that occured in the 90's, there's even a vid for that....

0Q2Tn00ErZk

And then came the internet boom in the mid-90's and satelite TV started to come forward. There was still children playing outside and respecting others. And things were kinda well in the States and most of the world, basically the end of Pax Americana. (Peace in America).

The 2000's was chaotic! That's the decade that sucked ass!

Written By: joeman on 03/23/11 at 9:52 pm

I think it is a generational issue.  I will always remember the late 80s to early 10s as years in which I will enjoy.  I would probably hate the rest of the decade of the 2010s as I age though and hate other decades atferwards.

Written By: Shiv on 03/24/11 at 1:21 am

At least in the 90s ANIMATION (I don't like the word cartoon) and music were still intelligent and diverse, not dumbed-down like in the 00s.

90s fashion was extremely bland though, Ill give you that.

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/24/11 at 6:43 am

Want proof from the ACTUAL '90s? Some of the earliest "I miss the 80s" posts on inthe80s.com deal with how the '90s are are crappy decade. Some of the "Why you are an Eighties Fan" comments show that, even from people born as late as 1987 c. 1999 saying they wish they were born a bit earlier. Simply try this search:

http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=the+90s+suck

There's even one from this board about when MTV went downhill!

Sure, the '90s aren't as bad as the 21st Century, but they're NOTHING compared to the '80s!

Here's a topic from the '80s board on this very forum from August 1998 (before Britney), yet there is proof:

http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/inthe80s/bbs0/wwwboard_15.shtml Who Thinks that the 90's SUCK? I do.

Written By: MrCleveland on 03/24/11 at 12:29 pm

Want proof from the ACTUAL '90s? Some of the earliest "I miss the 80s" posts on inthe80s.com deal with how the '90s are are crappy decade. Some of the "Why you are an Eighties Fan" comments show that, even from people born as late as 1987 c. 1999 saying they wish they were born a bit earlier. Simply try this search:

Sure, the '90s aren't as bad as the 21st Century, but they're NOTHING compared to the '80s!

Here's a topic from the '80s board on this very forum from August 1998 (before Britney), yet there is proof:

http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/inthe80s/bbs0/wwwboard_15.shtml Who Thinks that the 90's SUCK? I do.

I myself wish that I was growing up in the 60's! The music, the culture, the events happening in the 60's...too bad there isn't a site called inthe60s.com yet!

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/24/11 at 3:39 pm

I disagree.

It was the 1340s when The Black Death, the most devastating pandemics in human history, peaked in Europe between 1348 and 1350.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/24/11 at 3:58 pm

I love the 1780s more than the 1790s and I think the 1760s were okay, but nothing compared to the 1780s!!!  :D :D :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/24/11 at 3:59 pm

I love the 1780s more than the 1790s and I think the 1760s were okay, but nothing compared to the 1780s!!!  :D :D :D
Of course the 1780s suffered with the French Revolution.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/24/11 at 4:01 pm

Really? I heard there was so much protest during that era. I think it was from 1789 to 1799.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/24/11 at 4:02 pm

I'd pick the French Revolution over The Black Death.  ::)

Written By: 80sfan on 03/24/11 at 4:04 pm

Britney came out in October 1998.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-u5WLJ9Yk4

Written By: Mat1991 on 03/24/11 at 4:23 pm

I find it amusing that those people said that the '90s had no identity, when it is so apparent to us now. I suppose a decade's identity truly becomes apparent in retrograde.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/24/11 at 4:25 pm

If it was not the 1990's we would not have the 2000's.

Written By: Mat1991 on 03/24/11 at 4:25 pm

Also, I'd so love to go back in time to that thread on inthe80s.com and write "You guys think the '90s suck? Just wait till the 2000s. The '90s will look like a golden age compared to the next decade!"  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 03/24/11 at 4:37 pm

Also, I'd so love to go back in time to that thread on inthe80s.com and write "You guys think the '90s suck? Just wait till the 2000s. The '90s will look like a golden age compared to the next decade!"  ;D

I bet there were people in the 80s that thought that the 80s sucked and thought that the 70s and 60s were a 'golden' age. It's a cycle that never ends! Round and round and round and round...

It's just that back then there was no internet.  :(

Written By: 80sfan on 03/24/11 at 4:39 pm

If it was not the 1990's we would not have the 2000's.

And without the 00s there wouldn't be the 2010s.

Written By: joeman on 03/24/11 at 7:48 pm

I find it amusing that those people said that the '90s had no identity, when it is so apparent to us now. I suppose a decade's identity truly becomes apparent in retrograde.

A lot of 90s trends last throughout the 2000s though, especially its core Zeitgiest.

Written By: chrismaster1 on 03/28/11 at 2:43 pm

Let me say this, YOU ARE WRONG BUSTER! The 90s was the best decade ever. In the 00's we had all this computer crap going. In the 90s, people actually went out and filmed commercials and tv shows and they didnt create it through their computer like we do today. The 80s, I will say that's a decade that I will have respect for. But only for music, TV in that decade in my opinion can go to hell. The 90s, is simply hands down the best decade. We had the best cartoons, game shows, everything! People who didn't grow up in the 90s won't understand that. But to the dumbass who posted the original article, when you diss the 90s, you are dissing us (people who grew up in the 90s). When you diss the 90s, you diss our childhood. Saying that the 80s was great, what the bull f***** heck? The 80s? seriously? What happened in the 80s that was great? We had a transgender superhero named He-Man that didn't last long. That's all you can come up with? I can give you a billion reasons why the 90s was so much better.

Written By: RG1995 on 03/28/11 at 3:57 pm

1990's are awesome. That's right. They ARE awesome  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 03/28/11 at 5:07 pm

Let me say this, YOU ARE WRONG BUSTER! The 90s was the best decade ever. In the 00's we had all this computer crap going. In the 90s, people actually went out and filmed commercials and tv shows and they didnt create it through their computer like we do today. The 80s, I will say that's a decade that I will have respect for. But only for music, TV in that decade in my opinion can go to hell. The 90s, is simply hands down the best decade. We had the best cartoons, game shows, everything! People who didn't grow up in the 90s won't understand that. But to the dumbass who posted the original article, when you diss the 90s, you are dissing us (people who grew up in the 90s). When you diss the 90s, you diss our childhood. Saying that the 80s was great, what the bull f***** heck? The 80s? seriously? What happened in the 80s that was great? We had a transgender superhero named He-Man that didn't last long. That's all you can come up with? I can give you a billion reasons why the 90s was so much better.

Amen. The 90s had to be one of the best decades for popculture.... ever! I loved watching TV and to be honest I'm not that big of a TV person. The music was diverse and amazing. Well, movies are still good today, but they were good in the 90s too!  ;D

Written By: DizzMcMinyard on 03/28/11 at 6:23 pm

Alright I was born in the 1984, and some stuff was good and some sucked. But comparatively, I would say that currently, music does suck, however the rest of what we have today is pretty awesome. I'll tell you what sucked about the 90s: Crappy technology comparatively, I remember being bored many a time in my childhood. Then again I had the misfortune of being born in a conservative household that wouldn't let me out of the house, lol :(
If I was in that same house today with the net and all, I could almost never leave the house, as nerdy as that sounds. The internet is mos def more social. There were some good movies and some good music, but I bet if you traveled back in time to the 90s, you'd be slightly bored. The 80s and beforehand would be far more interesting. The 90s with the exception of the grunge era, were kinda boring.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/28/11 at 7:26 pm

Alright I was born in the 1984, and some stuff was good and some sucked. But comparatively, I would say that currently, music does suck, however the rest of what we have today is pretty awesome. I'll tell you what sucked about the 90s: Crappy technology comparatively, I remember being bored many a time in my childhood. Then again I had the misfortune of being born in a conservative household that wouldn't let me out of the house, lol :(
If I was in that same house today with the net and all, I could almost never leave the house, as nerdy as that sounds. The internet is mos def more social. There were some good movies and some good music, but I bet if you traveled back in time to the 90s, you'd be slightly bored. The 80s and beforehand would be far more interesting. The 90s with the exception of the grunge era, were kinda boring.

And that's why me and a lot of other people in America are overweight!  ;D

Written By: bchris02 on 03/28/11 at 9:16 pm

The 1990s were one of the most diverse decades culturally.  Every year things were consistently changing.  Fashion, music, technology, etc was evolving almost too fast to keep up with.  It's really difficult to define '90s culture because it was so varied and diverse, unlike the '80s where things didn't really change much between the inauguration of Reagan and the first Gulf War. People sometimes forget that 1990 and 1991 still had a completely '80s feel, with big hair and synth pop.  By 1993, that had all changed radically, and by 1998, much of what we now consider '00s culture had taken hold.  The '90s were also a placid decade politically and economically in comparison with the '00s.  Sure not everything was rosey and the '90s had a definitive dark side (school shootings, goth culture, Marilyn Manson) but I would take the '90s back in a heartbeat over today. 

Written By: GMC1960 on 03/31/11 at 5:13 pm

But to the dumbass who posted the original article, when you diss the 90s, you are dissing us (people who grew up in the 90s). When you diss the 90s, you diss our childhood.

You didn't have to called me a "dumbass", you fudgeing idiot. The 90s sucks ass period.

Written By: whistledog on 03/31/11 at 7:04 pm

You didn't have to called me a "dumbass", you fudgeing idiot. The 90s sucks ass period.

Being called a dumbass is awesome.  You should be honoured. 

http://www.liquidmatrix.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/red-dumb-ass.jpg

Written By: joeman on 03/31/11 at 9:44 pm

The 1990s were one of the most diverse decades culturally.  Every year things were consistently changing.  Fashion, music, technology, etc was evolving almost too fast to keep up with.  It's really difficult to define '90s culture because it was so varied and diverse, unlike the '80s where things didn't really change much between the inauguration of Reagan and the first Gulf War. People sometimes forget that 1990 and 1991 still had a completely '80s feel, with big hair and synth pop.  By 1993, that had all changed radically, and by 1998, much of what we now consider '00s culture had taken hold.  The '90s were also a placid decade politically and economically in comparison with the '00s.  Sure not everything was rosey and the '90s had a definitive dark side (school shootings, goth culture, Marilyn Manson) but I would take the '90s back in a heartbeat over today. 

Exactly, I really hate it when people mention stuff about the 90s, they need things like Grunge music or Pokemon, when there was so much more to the decade than that.  For example, no-one mentions New Jack Swing and that has been popular for the first half of the 90s.

Written By: bchris02 on 03/31/11 at 11:12 pm

Exactly, I really hate it when people mention stuff about the 90s, they need things like Grunge music or Pokemon, when there was so much more to the decade than that.  For example, no-one mentions New Jack Swing and that has been popular for the first half of the 90s.

I don't think Grunge was as dominating over '90s culture as most people act like, especially in the late '90s.  Pokemon was a very late '90s fad, like 1999.  The early '90s had Ninja Turtles (an '80s holdover) and the mid-'90s had Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.  How can you forget them?

Written By: joeman on 04/01/11 at 7:04 am

I don't think Grunge was as dominating over '90s culture as most people act like, especially in the late '90s.  Pokemon was a very late '90s fad, like 1999.  The early '90s had Ninja Turtles (an '80s holdover) and the mid-'90s had Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.  How can you forget them?

I dunno about MMPR...I remember when the first show came out I was in 4th grade and got picked on for watching that show lol.  I did like the Green Ranger though but stopped watching after he joined the group.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?  Yes, I am a huge fan of the series, both new and old and comic book version.  I actually got the 80s cartoon all in a DVD somewhere :).  Did you know the voice of Shredder was Uncle Phil from Fresh Prince of Bell Air?

Written By: bchris02 on 04/01/11 at 1:45 pm

I dunno about MMPR...I remember when the first show came out I was in 4th grade and got picked on for watching that show lol.  I did like the Green Ranger though but stopped watching after he joined the group.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?  Yes, I am a huge fan of the series, both new and old and comic book version.  I actually got the 80s cartoon all in a DVD somewhere :).  Did you know the voice of Shredder was Uncle Phil from Fresh Prince of Bell Air?

MMPR was very popular in my school, but that was around the time of the movie. The show had been on a few years already at that point. It became uncool to watch it around the Turbo era for my age group, as I was in 5th grade in 1997. I think your age group just barely missed that fad.

Written By: joeman on 04/01/11 at 10:46 pm

MMPR was very popular in my school, but that was around the time of the movie. The show had been on a few years already at that point. It became uncool to watch it around the Turbo era for my age group, as I was in 5th grade in 1997. I think your age group just barely missed that fad.

It could have been a regional thing too.  I live in Florida and things here are a few years behind.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/05/11 at 3:48 am

Most of this is from 1998/99 - which was nineties, yes, but had a very similar feel to the majority of the 00s (pre-2006 or so). i was only born in 1991, so i can't really remember the real nineties that well.

Written By: GMC1960 on 04/08/11 at 3:51 pm

Being called a dumbass is awesome.  You should be honoured. 

http://www.liquidmatrix.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/red-dumb-ass.jpg

Idiot...

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/08/11 at 9:13 pm

Most of this is from 1998/99 - which was nineties, yes, but had a very similar feel to the majority of the 00s (pre-2006 or so). i was only born in 1991, so i can't really remember the real nineties that well.

1998 and 1999 felt like 2000 and 2001 to me but not the rest of the 2000s.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/08/11 at 9:15 pm

1998 and 1999 felt like 2000 and 2001 to me but not the rest of the 2000s.

yeah i agree. it felt nineties, but it did feel a lot more 'modern' than the majority of the 90s. i kind of think anything before 2001 seems quite dated now though.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/08/11 at 9:19 pm

yeah i agree. it felt nineties, but it did feel a lot more 'modern' than the majority of the 90s. i kind of think anything before 2001 seems quite dated now though.

I think 1998-2001 was its own mini-era to be honest. I think 2000 and pre 911 2001 were quite different from the rest of the 00s.
I remember thinking in 2000 and 2001 "The new millennium feels the same as it did 1998 and 1999".

Written By: youngerderek on 04/08/11 at 9:21 pm

I think 1998-2001 was its own mini-era to be honest. I think 2000 and pre 911 2001 were quite different from the rest of the 00s.
I remember thinking in 2000 and 2001 "The new millennium feels the same as it did 1998 and 1999".

yeah, actually i feel the 00s began a little bit prior to 9/11, probably right around the time 'Shrek' came out, but by the time 9/11 happened, the world has changed so much, that it's a good date to end the nineties as an era as opposed to a literal decade.

Written By: 70scarlover on 05/06/11 at 7:55 am

Shh... be quiet... or the pear-shaped car is gonna get ya!
http://img852.imageshack.us/img852/7062/r14pubpoire.jpg
On a serious note, I like that pear-shaped car, it looks far better than most late 70s cars. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...