inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are the nineties legit retro yet

Written By: youngerderek on 04/01/11 at 7:36 pm

1991, the true dawn of the nineties, is now a full 20 years ago. we all know about the 20 year rule for retro, however, does it apply for the 90s? or does 2011 still have too much in common with the '90s for the 90s to be retro now?

Subject: Re: Are the nineties legit retro yet

Written By: JTCool on 04/01/11 at 10:38 pm

I'd expect a big 80s comeback before a 90s ones. I think the reason people think there is a 90s revival is because right now we are kind of caught between trends of the 00s and those of past styles. When I see hair for women on tv it is bigger and has more volume to it than what I would see on tv ads 3 or 4 years ago. I think big hair is slowly coming back which is way we get some of those 90s styles coming back if only a short period of time. I don't really think the 00s had a big 80s retro feel to it maybe with music but most 80s things never really became popular again in the 2000s IMO.

Written By: joeman on 04/01/11 at 10:48 pm

I think things that were kind of corny in the 80s, like robots, would be modernized in this decade.  I also expect a comeback of yuppie-businessmen in the mid 2010s(assuming the economy gets better).

Written By: whistledog on 04/01/11 at 11:03 pm

Did you know Ron Howard is bald?

http://static.tvfanatic.com/images/gallery/ron-howard-picture.jpg

Written By: 80sfan on 04/01/11 at 11:43 pm

How old is he? He looks so different from his younger years.  :D

Written By: 80sfan on 04/01/11 at 11:45 pm

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9pzcZul5WAsd4B7vTQSommk1RJ9XO6u2YkEQM_gEaMeJ5lfohWQ&t=1

Yes, I remember the Power rangers. Here is a picture of them.

Written By: whistledog on 04/01/11 at 11:46 pm

How old is he? He looks so different from his younger years.  :D

He is 57 years old.  Hard to believe he looks like that, while his daughter looks like this ...

http://24celebs.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Bryce-Dallas-Howard-pictures-013.jpg    

Written By: 80sfan on 04/01/11 at 11:49 pm

He is 57 years old.  Hard to believe he looks like that, while his daughter looks like this ...

http://24celebs.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Bryce-Dallas-Howard-pictures-013.jpg    

Um.... they have the same red hair?  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/02/11 at 1:25 am

Yes

Written By: Kitkat1991 on 04/02/11 at 11:56 am

I think the early to mid 90s from like 1990-1996 are retro. Maybe even 1997 but 1998-1999 aren't retro enough for me.

Written By: snozberries on 04/02/11 at 12:30 pm

Hard to believe Clint Howard once looked like this

http://application.denofgeek.com/images/gb/clint.howard.jpg

when now he looks like this  :o

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_BEogiLoYMCk/TGjFsZxDMcI/AAAAAAAAAzY/N4wpGPLtxGw/s1600/10+Clint_Howard.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 04/02/11 at 12:35 pm

Although he did have a comb over at the age of 11 so the baldness isn't shocking.

http://celebritykids.name/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/clinthoward1.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/02/11 at 12:38 pm

Although he did have a comb over at the age of 11 so the baldness isn't shocking.

http://celebritykids.name/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/clinthoward1.jpg

The picture is showing, let me be an assistance here.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm66/Phil_O-Sopher/clinthoward1.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 04/02/11 at 12:45 pm

Thank you Philip not sure why the  url image didn't show. but I appreciate the back up assist! O0

Written By: whistledog on 04/02/11 at 5:19 pm

Hard to believe Clint Howard once looked like this

http://application.denofgeek.com/images/gb/clint.howard.jpg

when now he looks like this  :o

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_BEogiLoYMCk/TGjFsZxDMcI/AAAAAAAAAzY/N4wpGPLtxGw/s1600/10+Clint_Howard.jpg

Clint is quite the scary looking guy.  He actually knows that oo, and often plays off that.  He is best known for his appearances in movies directed by his Brother.

Bryce should do a movie where in it, her father and Uncle are played by Ron and Clint.  That would be cool.

Written By: snozberries on 04/02/11 at 5:27 pm

and Rance Howard can do a cameo as grandpa!!!  8)

http://blog.al.com/bob-carlton/2009/03/medium_Rance%20two.jpg

Written By: youngerderek on 04/02/11 at 6:40 pm

damn it's weird, Ron Howard looks like a young person who grew old!!!!  :D

anyways --- do you think it's been long enough that the 90's can be called 'retro'?

Written By: 80sfan on 04/02/11 at 6:55 pm

damn it's weird, Ron Howard looks like a young person who grew old!!!!  :D

anyways --- do you think it's been long enough that the 90's can be called 'retro'?

In my mind the 90s won't be retro really until the 2020s. It just feels too soon in the 2010s.

Written By: snozberries on 04/02/11 at 7:02 pm

did you know that a pregnant goldfish is called a twit?  it's true... google it...
:D

Written By: 80sfan on 04/02/11 at 7:08 pm

did you know that a pregnant goldfish is called a twit?  it's true... google it...

Yes, I actually do. I heard it on the radio once.  :(

Written By: snozberries on 04/02/11 at 7:10 pm

Yes, I actually do. I heard it on the radio once.  :(

I didn't know that.... I just found out today.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/02/11 at 7:13 pm

I didn't know that.... I just found out today.

I just found out about 4 weeks ago, so you're not too behind. I still don't know all 50 states yet!  ;D

Written By: Midas on 04/02/11 at 7:46 pm

So does that mean people who twitter are pregnant goldfishers?  :D

2 LEGIT 2 QUIT HEY HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Written By: snozberries on 04/02/11 at 7:47 pm

I just found out about 4 weeks ago, so you're not too behind. I still don't know all 50 states yet!  ;D

I think they all end in a y.... oh wait...maybe that's just the days of the week!  :D

Written By: whistledog on 04/02/11 at 8:03 pm

http://www3.whig.com/whig/blogs/ihavealottoshare/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/justin-bieber-justin-bieber-8699904.jpg

Written By: Emman on 04/02/11 at 9:29 pm

The early 90s are definitely retro, I mean compare 1991 to 2011. The mid 90s are getting there too, the late 90s are still a little too recent(only 12-14 years ago), but are very dated(spikey frosted tips, nu metal, ect.).

Written By: snozberries on 04/02/11 at 9:47 pm

Did you know..... that A theater manager in Seoul, Korea felt that The Sound of Music was too long, so he shortened it by cutting out all the songs.  :o

Written By: youngerderek on 04/02/11 at 10:08 pm

Did you know..... that A theater manager in Seoul, Korea felt that The Sound of Music was too long, so he shortened it by cutting out all the songs.  :o

that's off topic but pretty funny.  ;D

Subject: Re: Are monkeys flying out of yer butt yet??

Written By: Midas on 04/03/11 at 2:05 pm

I don't get it...what kind of papers do those teachers have you young whippersnappers write today?  Or is this a school debate topic?

I only ask because most people's answers here are, "Who cares?"  :D

Subject: Re: Are monkeys flying out of yer butt yet??

Written By: snozberries on 04/03/11 at 2:07 pm

I don't get it...what kind of papers do those teachers have you young whippersnappers write today?  Or is this a school debate topic?

I only ask because most people's answers here are, "Who cares?"  :D

this is why we need you to pop in more frequently Midas.... you speak the truth.... no go do that again in the 70s / 80s topic that's probably still on the front page!  ;D

Written By: lorac61469 on 04/03/11 at 3:37 pm

Heyyyy, I just noticed that Clint was sporting the Bieber 'do long before Bieber
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm66/Phil_O-Sopher/clinthoward1.jpghttp://photos.posh24.com/p/917568/z/justin_bieber/justin_bieber_hair.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 04/03/11 at 3:54 pm

Heyyyy, I just noticed that Clint was sporting the Bieber 'do long before Bieber
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm66/Phil_O-Sopher/clinthoward1.jpghttp://photos.posh24.com/p/917568/z/justin_bieber/justin_bieber_hair.jpg

thank you for that... I noticed that yesterday but forgot to post a pic!  ;D 

Written By: Shiv on 04/03/11 at 9:31 pm

90s pop culture was way too plain to ever become retro. But the technology, definitely.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/04/11 at 1:55 am

90s pop culture was way too plain to ever become retro. But the technology, definitely.

It's actually plainier than today's culture. today's culture has character, it's just a character I don't like.

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/05/11 at 7:14 am

It's actually plainier than today's culture. today's culture has character, it's just a character I don't like.
I am sure everything is plain, when you are learning to eat, walk and talk... and really life up until 5th grade is all sorta dull...

Perhaps it is your age that is guiding your perception - Just saying.  I went to college in the 90's and thought it was much more exciting and eventful than today's culture. But hey I am now working daily, and a parent. Just saying...

Written By: youngerderek on 04/05/11 at 8:56 am

I am sure everything is plain, when you are learning to eat, walk and talk... and really life up until 5th grade is all sorta dull...

Perhaps it is your age that is guiding your perception - Just saying.  I went to college in the 90's and thought it was much more exciting and eventful than today's culture. But hey I am now working daily, and a parent. Just saying...

very true. i dont really remember the cultural part of the 90s, save the tail end ...

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/05/11 at 9:06 am

Actually, I'd say the opposite. When you're a young kid everything seems amazing, magical, and out of this world.

Written By: snozberries on 04/05/11 at 11:40 am

Actually, I'd say the opposite. When you're a young kid everything seems amazing, magical, and out of this world.

Problem is you grow up and realize that it wasn't. From some reason (I blame your parents for coddling you) it's taking you far too long to accept and deal with reality. You keep yearning for what never was.

*when I say you I mean your generation.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/05/11 at 1:45 pm

Problem is you grow up and realize that it wasn't. From some reason (I blame your parents for coddling you) it's taking you far too long to accept and deal with reality. You keep yearning for what never was.

What's wrong with wanting things to keep their magic? Why do you want to force everyone to feel bleak all the time? Some things feel magical even in the here and now. I recognize the reality of now (some aspects I like, others I dislike)  but realize that now isn't the future. None of us know what the future holds. What's wrong with keeping that yearning and treasuring your favorite memories? Appreciating these things is a gift I'll treasure for the rest of my life.

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/05/11 at 5:04 pm

You're still a kid... Get to college live on your own, live, have fun, do this do that... Those are the times you will remember.  I do not remember anything fun from my 5th grade year. OH Yah I remember I liked going to the park, the swimming pool and riding my bike.  I did not have opinions in music, culture, or tv shows. Heck I was the youngest, I listened to what someone else had on.  Perhaps your generation, gets to choose more, as you get technology at a younger age.  But you will still not think it is so great when you get out and experience life yourself. 

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/05/11 at 5:05 pm

and that...  probably better stated than I  8)

Written By: snozberries on 04/05/11 at 5:07 pm

What's wrong with wanting things to keep their magic? Why do you want to force everyone to feel bleak all the time? Some things feel magical even in the here and now. I recognize the reality of now (some aspects I like, others I dislike)  but realize that now isn't the future. None of us know what the future holds. What's wrong with keeping that yearning and treasuring your favorite memories? Appreciating these things is a gift I'll treasure for the rest of my life.

Save this post and revisit in 15 years and you'll have the answer.

I never said everyone has to be bleak I just said there's a real world and it would be nice to see your generation step out of the past and engage in it

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/05/11 at 5:08 pm

and then the real world b-tch slaps you right in the nose...  Good luck, keep your dreams, your ideals, your beliefs.  But they will change, because you will realize what you were yearning and treasuring really didn't mean a dyam as what you NEED, Believe and want NOW...

Written By: snozberries on 04/05/11 at 5:08 pm

and that...  probably better stated than I  8)

Your point was clear. Probably falling on blind eyes but it was clear.  ;D

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/05/11 at 5:09 pm

I never said everyone has to be bleak I just said there's a real world and it would be nice to see your generation step out of the past and engage in it
O0

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/05/11 at 5:10 pm

Your point was clear. Probably falling on blind eyes but it was clear.  ;D
Didn't now the cartman was reading this  ;)

Written By: snozberries on 04/05/11 at 5:11 pm

Didn't now the cartman was reading this  ;)

Ha ha. His is a different issue entirely  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 04/05/11 at 5:14 pm

and then the real world b-tch slaps you right in the nose...  Good luck, keep your dreams, your ideals, your beliefs.  But they will change, because you will realize what you were yearning and treasuring really didn't mean a dyam as what you NEED, Believe and want NOW...

I think generation Y is extremely spoiled. And I'm a generation Yer. We grew up with better technology than previous generations and great economic times so it made us kinda whiny. I think some of them feel entitled even!

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/05/11 at 5:20 pm

Ha ha. His is a different issue entirely  ;D
Kids these day's just looking to see where they fit in... And I am just asking... Do you call yourself a child of the 70's or 80's?  This has always baffled me.  NEVER would I consider myself a 70's child, yes I was born early in the 70's but I did not care about the culture per se... Fashion was what my mother bought and laid out for me (heck my 1st grade picture brown dress, red tights, and turquoise shoes - WTH), music was what was on the radio, air conditioning was something my parents had in the front seat, I sat on the hump, couldn't cross the road (so I played in the Park, cemetary and block that I never had to cross a road to get to it)...    I always consider myself an 80's child, that is when I got my hair cut like Lady Di, started picking out my own clothes, cuffed my jeans, got a perm, HAD MALL BANGS (Dear God I miss those - someday they will come back), I bought Duran Duran, Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, and Van Halen, I bought my own Sweet Valley High books, and I got to watch MIami Vice and Saturday Night Live (OH and Friday Night Video's and SOLID GOLD on Sunday's)...  OH my I am off on a tangent, just wondering if I am the only person who thinks this?

Written By: snozberries on 04/05/11 at 5:50 pm

I never felt a need to label myself 70's or 80's i just have fond memories of both. I don't know that I was consciously aware of pop culture but I totally related to the world thru the shows I watched and the music i listened to.  I followed the shift accordingly and changed my opinions as the times changed.  I loved the 70s and 80s and I get nostalgic feeling when I watch movies like now & then or fast times etc. I just don't have an obsessive need to wallow in the culture of those eras. Nor to I analyze everything about and obsess about the differences of then vs now. Times keep changing. It's called evolution. It happens so accept it and move the frack on.

Written By: snozberries on 04/05/11 at 5:53 pm

I think generation Y is extremely spoiled. And I'm a generation Yer. We grew up with better technology than previous generations and great economic times so it made us kinda whiny. I think some of them feel entitled even!

That perception entitlement is what I blame the parents for. Seems everyone I encounter who was born just before (or at the beginning of) the 90's seems to think everything is for, because or about them.....which is totally ridiculous since everyone knows it's all only about me!!!! :D

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/05/11 at 5:58 pm

I never felt a need to label myself 70's or 80's i just have fond memories of both. I don't know that I was consciously aware of pop culture but I totally related to the world thru the shows I watched and the music i listened to.  I followed the shift accordingly and changed my opinions as the times changed.  I loved the 70s and 80s and I get nostalgic feeling when I watch movies like now & then or fast times etc. I just don't have an obsessive need to wallow in the culture of those eras. Nor to I analyze everything about and obsess about the differences of then vs now. Times keep changing. It's called evolution. It happens so accept it and move the frack on.
mmmm, I can see that...  I am not 80's obsessed, like I said before I think the best time of my life was probably the 90's (graduated high school, on my own, college, first jobs, some love life, didn't get married till Dec. 1999) I lived it up. And now, hey I am happy in 00's and 10's... I don't want to go backwards, even though my naturally curly hair could ROCK the mall bangs, I love change (even though somewhat fearful)...  Thanks 8)

Written By: snozberries on 04/05/11 at 6:03 pm

mmmm, I can see that...  I am not 80's obsessed, like I said before I think the best time of my life was probably the 90's (graduated high school, on my own, college, first jobs, some love life, didn't get married till Dec. 1999) I lived it up. And now, hey I am happy in 00's and 10's... I don't want to go backwards, even though my naturally curly hair could ROCK the mall bangs, I love change (even though somewhat fearful)...  Thanks 8)

You're also not 90's obsessed because you are an adult! Amazing concept huh. You appreciate your youth but recognize it's a thing of the past. The fond memories are something to cherish not hold on to for dear life.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/05/11 at 6:39 pm

That perception entitlement is what I blame the parents for. Seems everyone I encounter who was born just before (or at the beginning of) the 90's seems to think everything is for, because or about them.....which is totally ridiculous since everyone knows it's all only about me!!!! :D

I always thought the sun revolved around me. Time to go back to school!  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 04/05/11 at 6:42 pm

You're also not 90's obsessed because you are an adult! Amazing concept huh. You appreciate your youth but recognize it's a thing of the past. The fond memories are something to cherish not hold on to for dear life.

I think of memories like an album you go to to look at when you're nostalgic or bored.

Of course we can't remember everything because we're human, but we remember enough to have a feeling of what the era or decade was about.

Written By: snozberries on 04/05/11 at 6:56 pm

I always thought the sun revolved around me. Time to go back to school!  ;D

Check yourself son....this is my world I simply allow you to be a part of it  :D

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/05/11 at 7:01 pm

Precisely...  Who would want Hootie and the Blowfish forever ::)

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/05/11 at 7:05 pm

Check yourself son....this is my world I simply allow you to be a part of it  :D
HEY Q - Look over there it's Shemar Moore and he's getting undressed...

It should be safe now -

So we let her to believe  ;D

Written By: RG1995 on 04/05/11 at 7:40 pm

God, you act like our generation is the worst of all time because we all were "coddled little brats" who don't understand the real world. I could say the same thing about the Baby Boomers.

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/05/11 at 7:48 pm

God, you act like our generation is the worst of all time because we all were "coddled little brats" who don't understand the real world. I could say the same thing about the Baby Boomers.
Bwahahahahahaaa  - I am sure those born POST World War II children had all sorts of advantages...  That is why they worked hard for the American Dream... to make their children have 'more' than what they had...  Might want to look into your research again O0

and really - honestly... you haven't experienced the real world. That is what was said; come back in 15 years and then look back...

Written By: snozberries on 04/05/11 at 8:16 pm

I work at a university and stand by my opinion.

And read what 2kidsami said there's no comparison between the whiny generation  and baby boomers.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/05/11 at 8:29 pm

I work at a university and stand by my opinion.

And read what 2kidsami said there's no comparison between the whiny generation  and baby boomers.

I don't plan to go into the real world.... ever! I'm staying in my turtle shell safe and sound.  :(

Anyways, I read somewhere that people are staying at home with their parents at an even older age, 25 or so, these days.

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/05/11 at 8:31 pm

I don't plan to go into the real world.... ever! I'm staying in my turtle shell safe and sound.  :(

Anyways, I read somewhere that people are staying at home with their parents at an even older age, 25 or so, these days.
Partially due to the poor economy, I suggest - even after college, hard to find a job unless you are at the top of the class.  I teach high school, I also see the kids wanting starting pay of 40,000 a year (in Iowa) - um not gonna happen here. 

Written By: 80sfan on 04/05/11 at 8:33 pm

Partially due to the poor economy, I suggest - even after college, hard to find a job unless you are at the top of the class.  I teach high school, I also see the kids wanting starting pay of 40,000 a year (in Iowa) - um not gonna happen here. 

I see this a lot with my generation. It's that feeling of entitlement.

But at the same time, my generation is still young, just give it time and give us a chance.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/05/11 at 8:34 pm

im willing to work minimum until i am educated properly and find something (much) better.

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/05/11 at 8:38 pm

I see this a lot with my generation. It's that feeling of entitlement.

But at the same time, my generation is still young, just give it time and give us a chance.
True, with youth is also the idea of conquering the world with the flip of a wrist 8)  It's youth... 8)

I might add though, that no one will conquer the world by playing black ops 24/7 :P

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/05/11 at 8:40 pm

im willing to work minimum until i am educated properly and find something (much) better.
Just remember to take what you can get, even after educated... It is much better to work beneath you, than not work at all! Experience is experience, and companies like to see you pay your dues.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/05/11 at 8:41 pm

True, with youth is also the idea of conquering the world with the flip of a wrist 8)  It's youth... 8)

I might add though, that no one will conquer the world by playing black ops 24/7 :P

Harry Potter uses a wand with a flick of the wrist.  ::) ;D

Forget the university, I'm going to Hogwarts!

Written By: youngerderek on 04/05/11 at 8:41 pm

Just remember to take what you can get, even after educated... It is much better to work beneath you, than not work at all! Experience is experience, and companies like to see you pay your dues.

yep  :)

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/05/11 at 8:44 pm

yep  :)
This I see A LOT - I am not taking that job, it only pays ...  and I was told I would make ...  and I am not going to sell myself for nothing. I will just live at home and wait for the perfect job! ::) (don't get me started, it might start to get personal)

Written By: youngerderek on 04/05/11 at 8:45 pm

This I see A LOT - I am not taking that job, it only pays ...  and I was told I would make ...  and I am not going to sell myself for nothing. I will just live at home and wait for the perfect job! ::) (don't get me started, it might start to get personal)

Nah, I want a job, unemployment blows. I want money to travel!!

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/06/11 at 6:51 am

Some conversation holder's there...

Written By: RG1995 on 04/06/11 at 1:50 pm

Bwahahahahahaaa  - I am sure those born POST World War II children had all sorts of advantages...  That is why they worked hard for the American Dream... to make their children have 'more' than what they had...  Might want to look into your research again O0

and really - honestly... you haven't experienced the real world. That is what was said; come back in 15 years and then look back...
My generation will have a lot harsher world than our parents generation.

Written By: snozberries on 04/06/11 at 2:26 pm

Really? Do tell? And before you begin approx how old are your parents?

Written By: snozberries on 04/06/11 at 2:29 pm

You know what... I just looked at your profile. You're 15 years old. You have no idea about the world yet. Whatever you may currently be going thru (or your family) may be tough but it's a whole 'nother thing when you're the one solely responsible for your life. You are not there yet.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/06/11 at 4:26 pm

AAAAAaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Written By: 80sfan on 04/06/11 at 4:26 pm

;D

Written By: snozberries on 04/06/11 at 4:27 pm

;D

Cracked yourself up with that revelation did you???  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 04/06/11 at 4:29 pm

Cracked yourself up with that revelation did you???  ;D

Yes. Yes I did.  :(

Written By: snozberries on 04/06/11 at 4:43 pm

Yes. Yes I did.  :(

'scool you cracked meup too.  ;D

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/06/11 at 4:58 pm

Oh I am soo sure - typical teenage talk. You have it soo rough, instant information at your fingertips, instant entertainment, and oh you think work is going to be tough because you are going to have to do it...  Oh woe is me and I am bored...  ::)

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/06/11 at 4:59 pm

He's 15 (perhaps 16, depending on his birthday) - the 1995 gives it away... ANd the attitude

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/06/11 at 5:01 pm

Oh so his parents could be anywhere from 30 - 60 (typically) -

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/06/11 at 5:02 pm

You know what... I just looked at your profile. You're 15 years old. You have no idea about the world yet. Whatever you may currently be going thru (or your family) may be tough but it's a whole 'nother thing when you're the one solely responsible for your life. You are not there yet.

LOL - this is the point I was trying to make.  Typical teenager, everything sucks...  Well I hate to tell you, you are living some of your best parts of life... AND then things get REALLY sucky

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/06/11 at 5:13 pm

Oh I am soo sure - typical teenage talk. You have it soo rough, instant information at your fingertips, instant entertainment, and oh you think work is going to be tough because you are going to have to do it...  Oh woe is me and I am bored...   ::)

Jobs are being outsourced, illegal immigration is on the rise, the value of the dollar is falling, and social security is running out.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/06/11 at 5:14 pm

LOL - this is the point I was trying to make.  Typical teenager, everything sucks...  Well I hate to tell you, you are living some of your best parts of life... AND then things get REALLY sucky

The teenage years aren't always the best of your life. They're often pretty rough.
Teenagers aren't always ignorant and many have struggled through hardship.

Written By: Emman on 04/06/11 at 5:37 pm

Oh I am soo sure - typical teenage talk. You have it soo rough, instant information at your fingertips, instant entertainment, and oh you think work is going to be tough because you are going to have to do it...  Oh woe is me and I am bored...  ::)

I think he has a good point, the younger generations are going to be faced with peak oil, peak coal, overpopulation, out-dated economic system(one that depends on constant growth), our whole way of life is going to change dramatically without "cheap" oil, and no, alternatives(wind, solar, ect.) will not be enough.

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/06/11 at 5:38 pm

The teenage years aren't always the best of your life. They're often pretty rough.
Teenagers aren't always ignorant and many have struggled through hardship.
Yep know all about it!  Child of a one parent family, dad wasn't around, my mother was a beautician, no health insurance - I am a chronic asthmatic, I babysat 35 hours a week to help pay for groceries, clothes, and medicine.  We were never on welfare or food stamps, the park was my best friend, I didn't go to prim or have a car (cause I didn't have the money)... Applied to college and paid for all 4 (& I made sure I got out in 4) years myself!  I

Even with it all, they were easier than life now!  I know how to work and for that I am thankful!

Written By: 80sfan on 04/06/11 at 5:44 pm

Yep know all about it!  Child of a one parent family, dad wasn't around, my mother was a beautician, no health insurance - I am a chronic asthmatic, I babysat 35 hours a week to help pay for groceries, clothes, and medicine.  We were never on welfare or food stamps, the park was my best friend, I didn't go to prim or have a car (cause I didn't have the money)... Applied to college and paid for all 4 (& I made sure I got out in 4) years myself!  I

Even with it all, they were easier than life now!  I know how to work and for that I am thankful!

Real life sounds rough.

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/06/11 at 5:50 pm

Jobs are being outsourced, illegal immigration is on the rise, the value of the dollar is falling, and social security is running out.
And parents didn't have jobs with health insurance, their retirement funds have been taken away, they learned to live on less, food was mire expensive, along with clothing (unless they made their own), only 1 person worked, only 1 car, houses were smaller...  minimum wage was much less, they were paid much less..., more difficult to get credit, striking was a norm.... 

It is cyclic, until you look at the whole economic picture, you will be blind too it!

It is Americas need for more, easier and cheaper that has driven it the way it is!  People buy walmart instead of Doing with less and buying American!  Our greed is where we are at!

And I work in CTE (career and technical education). America has a huge demand for skilled trades (welders, builders, plumbers, sewer, garbage/recycling, foods industry...) but again these jobs are below many's standards...

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/06/11 at 5:57 pm

I think he has a good point, the younger generations are going to be faced with peak oil, peak coal, overpopulation, out-dated economic system(one that depends on constant growth), our whole way of life is going to change dramatically without "cheap" oil, and no, alternatives(wind, solar, ect.) will not be enough.
Till  people start to realize they need to live with less, that is going to be the case!  Nucleur is the cheapest energy source there is, but yet America has not built a facility since 1977.  Europe is light years ahead if us, and they have had expensive oil for years... They seem to survive!

Written By: youngerderek on 04/06/11 at 7:55 pm

That's unfortunate, but not everyone had it as rough as you did. The facts are, Gen Y has more challenges than the Baby Boomers and Gen Xers did.

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/06/11 at 8:15 pm

That's unfortunate, but not everyone had it as rough as you did. The facts are, Gen Y has more challenges than the Baby Boomers and Gen Xers did.
And yet someone doesn't want us to generalize  ::)

Hey I did not have it rough... my mother loved me, she never beat me, and I know how to raise my children and work (no matter what the job is!  Money is Money... to sit and wait for a perfect job - not an option)  8)

Written By: snozberries on 04/06/11 at 8:28 pm

The economy sux. We're at war. Life is tough still we have more resources than they did during and after the depression.

Derek it'd be nice if you expanded on your position rather than just writing general statements with no substance.

Sami I love ya but you're having a bad and it's showing.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/06/11 at 8:36 pm

The economy sux. We're at war. Life is tough still we have more resources than they did during and after the depression.

Derek it'd be nice if you expanded on your position rather than just writing general statements with no substance.

Sami I love ya but you're having a bad and it's showing.

Welll .... can my generation expect to buy a house before we're 30, if ever? Did the Boomers and Xers have to compete with billions of people overseas? Did your generation come of age during a depression?

look im not moping, im just saying my generation is not as (economically) fortunate as yours.

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/06/11 at 8:44 pm

Welll .... can my generation expect to buy a house before we're 30, if ever? Did the Boomers and Xers have to compete with billions of people overseas? Did your generation come of age during a depression?

look im not moping, im just saying my generation is not as (economically) fortunate as yours.
Look at the Early 90's global recession...  yes there were disadvantage was then as well

Written By: RG1995 on 04/06/11 at 8:57 pm

1.) I know what you're thinking, how can some whiny 15 year old punk know anything about this crap? Im simply interested in decades, music, politics, the future, etc, etc. That's why I like this site. It's fun. I hate when people bash on my generation for being spoiled, stupid, slackers, etc, etc. Why did the Baby Boomers say about Gen X? What did the WWII-Gen say about the Baby Boomers? They said they were spoiled and laizy too and probably still are.

2.) You have no idea what my situation is. I'm not some spoiled teenage idiot who cries over the smallest of things like not getting money from my parents or school. I don't ask for much because I know my parents are in debt and I don't really need anything that is expensive.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/06/11 at 9:05 pm

Look at the Early 90's global recession...  yes there were disadvantage was then as well

nothing compared to today.

Written By: snozberries on 04/06/11 at 9:21 pm

guess you've never heard of the 1980's recession...

Written By: 80sfan on 04/06/11 at 9:34 pm

I have this aching feeling in my stomache that the economy won't get better until at least 2020 (maybe longer). I don't think we're going into a depression, but it'll be a while until there's any stability in the economy at all.

Written By: snozberries on 04/06/11 at 9:40 pm

I have faith it will turn around sooner than that.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/06/11 at 9:48 pm

I have faith it will turn around sooner than that.

Haven't unemployment rates gone down from 10% to about 8.8% already?

Written By: snozberries on 04/06/11 at 9:49 pm

Haven't unemployment rates gone down from 10% to about 8.8% already?

I think so... although I still know people out of work  :-\\ 

Written By: Shiv on 04/06/11 at 10:45 pm

The economy won't get better until outsourcing is stopped or limited.

Written By: JTCool on 04/07/11 at 9:55 pm

I think it's a little unfair to gain up on someone just because they are 15. Ageism goes both ways. I don't think our generation is any different than a lot of the ones that came before, but a lot of teens are struggling to find jobs right now. My mom was born in the mid-1950s and said that this has so far been the worst recession she's ever seen and this is coming from someone who hasn't lost her job but seen a lot of others get laid off. Saying that, I know it's not just young people that are hurting but we can't forget teens are struggling as well. I've applied at almost every place in my town (which is a decent size town) and still haven't even gotten interviews or a job (and I've never had a DUI, minor, or convicted of any other crime.) Back to our generation being cuddled, I don't think that stereotype really fits a lot of teens today especially if their parents are hurting finacially because the kids/teens are also hurting. I think it's just kind of recurring that when a new generation starts becoming teens or younger adults, older generations will start putting negetive stereotypes to sum up a whole group of people. Baby Boomers had the whole counter culture thing in the 60s/70s. Gen X(the name already makes them sound bad) had the slacker/rebellious thing going and I've heard many older people say they are also very spoiled/selfish, Gen Y also has the same thing going for them, and so on.

Written By: snozberries on 04/07/11 at 10:02 pm

I wouldn't say we were ganging up on the 15 yr old I just know (FROM EXPERIENCE) that your generation is going to see the world a whole lot differently in a couple of years.

As for the coddling.... I have been working at my university since 1996 and the kids get progressively worse... the kids coming in who were born 89-92 seem to be the worst lot yet... 

Written By: 80sfan on 04/07/11 at 10:12 pm

I wouldn't say we were ganging up on the 15 yr old I just know (FROM EXPERIENCE) that your generation is going to see the world a whole lot differently in a couple of years.

As for the coddling.... I have been working at my university since 1996 and the kids get progressively worse... the kids coming in who were born 89-92 seem to be the worst lot yet... 

What do they do exactly that is bad? Are they overly rebellious?

Written By: snozberries on 04/07/11 at 10:37 pm

What do they do exactly that is bad? Are they overly rebellious?

well yes... but that's not it  ;D 

there's a sense of entitlement that I have never witnessed I can give you a few examples but know I'm dealing with this crap daily so there are hundreds more....

- girl loses her notebook with all her notes for a class... she was notified by Lost and Found that the notebook was there (3 weeks prior) and given the hours that she can pick it up. She calls on a saturday (lost and found is closed) 3wks after she was notified and says she wants her notebook. I inform her that lost and found is closed and alarmed and we can't get in she tells me that her final is monday and she needs the book. I tell her it's too bad she didn't make arrangements when she was first called three wks prior. she hangs up and calls back another line thinking it's another department. I tell her the message is going to be the same no matter who she calls.... 10 minutes later daddy calls to yell at me and tell me his daughter needs the book to study and i explain to him she had three weeks to pick it up and there is no possible way to get in lost and found on  a weekend.

- a man calls because his daughter called him crying. it was the first week of school and she's a freshman. She is having a hard time adjusting to being away from home. classes are hard and she hasn't made friends yet and she was just cited by one of my officers for a traffic violation. Daddy wanted me to make the ticket go away because his daughter was upset.

-a woman called because her daughter was cited and released for forgery. she said her daughter was straight A student who would never do anything wrong. I ask what the cite was for and it turns out the girl was caught using a forged parking permit... seems lame I know but the parking permits carry the state of CA seal and it is a felony to forge the state seal.  I explain to the mom that it's a crime to forge the CA seal and she says she knows but her daughter is a good kid who had her bike stolen and needed to get to class that day and it's not right that her daughter is going to have a record because she made a mistake...

-a man called because his daughter called him the night before to say that someone was in her apartment. I asked when the daughter called him and he said the night before. I asked why his daughter didn't call the police and he said that she called home because she didn't know what else to do. I asked why he didn't tell her to call the police last night. He said the man had left. I informed the dad that burglars frequently walk into unlocked apartments and if they see someone there they pretend it's the wrong apt.  Had the girl (or dad) called when the incident occurred we could've caught a burglar.

- mom calls yelling at me... seriously screaming at me like someone ran over her child....why? because the kid  got his bike impounded for parking it illegally.... really.... wtf....

speaking of illegally parked bikes... we have 16,000 bikes on campus...maybe more.  and the kids seem to think they can just leave them where they want...there are regulations and whenever an illegally parked bike gets impounded the kid comes in all puffed up and adamant that our bike enforcement employees stole their bike... no dumbass - you got your bike impounded because you did not want to follow the rules

-how about the kids shocked that the purse, wallet, computer, bike or whatever is stolen when they walk away from it from it for longer than 5 minutes?  and the number of times I have to tell parents every week that they cannot report a crime for their child who is over the age of 18. The person only person who can report a theft is the victim of said theft..... and there are invariably two reasons why mommy or daddy call.....
            1) the kid is "too busy" - we are open 24hrs. it takes 20 mins to file a report....
            2) (my favorites)  They don't know how  or they don't know the number.....  amazing .... the parents managed to find the 
                number to the police dept...and no... it's not 9-1-1 not for a cold theft report.  and for the ones who don't know how to file 
                report? this is an excellent time for them to learn.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/07/11 at 10:55 pm

there's a sense of entitlement that I have never witnessed I can give you a few examples but know I'm dealing with this crap daily so there are hundreds more....

- girl loses her notebook with all her notes for a class... she was notified by Lost and Found that the notebook was there (3 weeks prior) and given the hours that she can pick it up. She calls on a saturday (lost and found is closed) 3wks after she was notified and says she wants her notebook. I inform her that lost and found is closed and alarmed and we can't get in she tells me that her final is monday and she needs the book. I tell her it's too bad she didn't make arrangements when she was first called three wks prior. she hangs up and calls back another line thinking it's another department. I tell her the message is going to be the same no matter who she calls.... 10 minutes later daddy calls to yell at me and tell me his daughter needs the book to study and i explain to him she had three weeks to pick it up and there is no possible way to get in lost and found on  a weekend.

- a man calls because his daughter called him crying. it was the first week of school and she's a freshman. She is having a hard time adjusting to being away from home. classes are hard and she hasn't made friends yet and she was just cited by one of my officers for a traffic violation. Daddy wanted me to make the ticket go away because his daughter was upset.

-a woman called because her daughter was cited and released for forgery. she said her daughter was straight A student who would never do anything wrong. I ask what the cite was for and it turns out the girl was caught using a forged parking permit... seems lame I know but the parking permits carry the state of CA seal and it is a felony to forge the state seal.  I explain to the mom that it's a crime to forge the CA seal and she says she knows but her daughter is a good kid who had her bike stolen and needed to get to class that day and it's not right that her daughter is going to have a record because she made a mistake...

-a man called because his daughter called him the night before to say that someone was in her apartment. I asked when the daughter called him and he said the night before. I asked why his daughter didn't call the police and he said that she called home because she didn't know what else to do. I asked why he didn't tell her to call the police last night. He said the man had left. I informed the dad that burglars frequently walk into unlocked apartments and if they see someone there they pretend it's the wrong apt.  Had the girl (or dad) called when the incident occurred we could've caught a burglar.

- mom calls yelling at me... seriously screaming at me like someone ran over her child....why? because the kid  got his bike impounded for parking it illegally.... really.... wtf....

speaking of illegally parked bikes... we have 16,000 bikes on campus...maybe more.  and the kids seem to think they can just leave them where they want...there are regulations and whenever an illegally parked bike gets impounded the kid comes in all puffed up and adamant that our bike enforcement employees stole their bike... no dumbass - you got your bike impounded because you did not want to follow the rules

-how about the kids shocked that the purse, wallet, computer, bike or whatever is stolen when they walk away from it from it for longer than 5 minutes?  and the number of times I have to tell parents every week that they cannot report a crime for their child who is over the age of 18. The person only person who can report a theft is the victim of said theft..... and there are invariably two reasons why mommy or daddy call.....
            1) the kid is "too busy" - we are open 24hrs. it takes 20 mins to file a report....
            2) (my favorites)  They don't know how  or they don't know the number.....   amazing .... the parents managed to find the   
                number to the police dept...and no... it's not 9-1-1 not for a cold theft report.  and for the ones who don't know how to file 

I read the whole thing and I wonder, was it this bad 15 years ago?

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/07/11 at 10:58 pm

We've all heard the traditional version of the quote.

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

But I can't authenticate it, and I just can't see Socrates using a word like "dainties" (even in translation), and especially not after meeting these dudes.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/schmutzig/TOUR%20PHOTOS/68e69c95.jpg

But how 'bout this?

"when the young are to be silent before their elders; how they are to show respect to them by standing and making them sit; what honour is due to parents; what garments or shoes are to be worn; the mode of dressing the hair; deportment and manners in general."
 - Plato/Socrates, The Republic, Book 4

" ...Yes, I said, he lives from day to day indulging the appetite of the hour; and sometimes he is lapped in drink and strains of the flute; then he becomes a water-drinker, and tries to get thin; then he takes a turn at gymnastics; sometimes idling and neglecting everything, then once more living the life of a philosopher; often he-is busy with politics, and starts to his feet and says and does whatever comes into his head; and, if he is emulous of any one who is a warrior, off he is in that direction, or of men of business, once more in that. His life has neither law nor order; and this distracted existence he terms joy and bliss and freedom; and so he goes on."
 - Plato/Socrates, The Republic, Book 8

(I'm sorry.  Are the -360s retro? :)

Was it this bad 15 years ago?  25 years ago?  It was this bad 2500 years ago.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/07/11 at 11:02 pm

We've all heard the traditional version of the quote.

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

But I can't authenticate it, and I just can't see Socrates using a word like "dainties" (even in translation), and especially not after meeting these dudes.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/schmutzig/TOUR%20PHOTOS/68e69c95.jpg

But how 'bout this?

"when the young are to be silent before their elders; how they are to show respect to them by standing and making them sit; what honour is due to parents; what garments or shoes are to be worn; the mode of dressing the hair; deportment and manners in general."
 - Plato/Socrates, The Republic, Book 4

" ...Yes, I said, he lives from day to day indulging the appetite of the hour; and sometimes he is lapped in drink and strains of the flute; then he becomes a water-drinker, and tries to get thin; then he takes a turn at gymnastics; sometimes idling and neglecting everything, then once more living the life of a philosopher; often he-is busy with politics, and starts to his feet and says and does whatever comes into his head; and, if he is emulous of any one who is a warrior, off he is in that direction, or of men of business, once more in that. His life has neither law nor order; and this distracted existence he terms joy and bliss and freedom; and so he goes on."
 - Plato/Socrates, The Republic, Book 8

(I'm sorry.  Are the -360s retro? :)

Was it this bad 15 years ago?  25 years ago?  It was this bad 2500 years ago.

Wow, so I guess it's nothing new. But it doesn't suck any less. I'm sorry Snoz.  :-\\

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/08/11 at 12:37 am

Wow, so I guess it's nothing new. But it doesn't suck any less. I'm sorry Snoz.  :-\\

And for what it's worth, so am I.  I just try to keep it in perspective.  (I've got it easy because I don't have to deal with it on a daily basis.)

http://thepaincomics.com/By%20the%20Time%20We%20Get%20to%20Pluto.jpg

Hey, it could be worse.  (Clicky to embiggen

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/08/11 at 7:09 am

Precisely! 

The teenage problems are very similar, and teenagers over the years have had a "dramatic" approach to the world.  Then in a few years (depending on the route they take) the "real world" will come and views will do a 180 and things will look entirely different.

Written By: snozberries on 04/08/11 at 9:44 am

I read the whole thing and I wonder, was it this bad 15 years ago?

it was a little bad but not on this scale...I started noticing a trend about 10 yrs ago but honestly this is the worst I've seen it and I can't imagine it getting much worse....

I saw a Time Warner commercial - girl skyping her dad because something in her apartment isn't working and making lots of noise.  She says "we tried everything"  Dad says "Unplug it"..... funny but seriously when did kids stop thinking for themselves?

Written By: snozberries on 04/08/11 at 9:45 am

Wow, so I guess it's nothing new. But it doesn't suck any less. I'm sorry Snoz.  :-\\

me too... but thanks.

Written By: snozberries on 04/08/11 at 2:26 pm

alright.... here's  one that happened today...

guy walks in because he wants a copy of his report. He was arrested at least a month ago. His court date is Monday... why does he wait until the friday (at lunch) before his court case to meet with a lawyer...and then get mad at me because what he wants is not available....  ::) 

also I was reminded of a girl who texted and facebooked her friends telling them that she "couldn't take it anymore and they would find her suicide note in the drawer of her res hall"  Of course I got flooded with calls and sent the officers to check on her.... the "suicidal" girl was not in her residence hall but waiting in the lobby to see who would show up looking for her.  ::) 

then you have the girls (always freshman) who call 911 because they want an ambulance because they are menstruating and can't handle the pain...

I wish I was making this stuff up!

these are the things about this generation that annoy the crap outta me! >:(

Written By: gMC1960 on 04/08/11 at 3:53 pm

In my mind the 90s won't be retro really until the 2020s. It just feels too soon in the 2010s.

Agreed.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/08/11 at 3:54 pm

Only time will tell.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/08/11 at 4:50 pm

guy walks in because he wants a copy of his report. He was arrested at least a month ago. His court date is Monday... why does he wait until the friday (at lunch) before his court case to meet with a lawyer...and then get mad at me because what he wants is not available....  ::) 

also I was reminded of a girl who texted and facebooked her friends telling them that she "couldn't take it anymore and they would find her suicide note in the drawer of her res hall"   Of course I got flooded with calls and sent the officers to check on her.... the "suicidal" girl was not in her residence hall but waiting in the lobby to see who would show up looking for her.  ::) 

then you have the girls (always freshman) who call 911 because they want an ambulance because they are menstruating and can't handle the pain...

The girl that was 'suicidal' obviously just wanted attention.

The girls who were menustrating are a joke.  ::)

All I have to say is wow...just wow!  ;D

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/08/11 at 5:33 pm

2) (my favorites)  They don't know how  or they don't know the number.....   amazing .... the parents managed to find the   

also I was reminded of a girl who texted and facebooked her friends telling them that she "couldn't take it anymore and they would find her suicide note in the drawer of her res hall"  Of course I got flooded with calls and sent the officers to check on her.... the "suicidal" girl was not in her residence hall but waiting in the lobby to see who would show up looking for her.  ::) 

This tells me that my students get no better when they enter college  :P

:\'(

Written By: snozberries on 04/08/11 at 5:46 pm

This tells me that my students get no better when they enter college  :P

:\'(

well on the bright side at least some of your students will make to college tho I'm pretty sure based on what I've seen the standards have been really lowered. 

I was training a dispatcher (you may have remembered me beating my head during her training because she didn't really possess much common sense) ---not tribbles but after tribbles.... anyway she was a student here and her sister was a high school senior.  the trainee told me I should read her sister's essay on the TV show Lost because of my TV addiction.  (and let me just say this- in the interest of time I don't capitalize often nor do I spend a lot of time on my spelling when I post here but I do know the rules of grammar and follow them in the real world...

okay so the girl's 5 page paper went something like this.  High School Senior.

Lost is a really good TV show that airs on ABC. It takes place on a magical island where lots of mysteries occur. I really like Lost because there is good writing there. There are a lot of mysteries where strange things happen all the time. 

The main characters on Lost are Jack, Kate and Sawyer. Jack is a doctor and he is a good guy.  Kate is a fugitive and Sawyer is a con artist. They are bad people who got trapped on the island when their plane crash but now they are kind of good.

I think everyone should watch Lost because it's a really good show.

That was the first page... seriously  ::)  and she got into the University that accepted me and that I was so proud to get a degree from  ::) ::) :P

Written By: 80sfan on 04/08/11 at 6:43 pm

it was a little bad but not on this scale...I started noticing a trend about 10 yrs ago but honestly this is the worst I've seen it and I can't imagine it getting much worse....

I saw a Time Warner commercial - girl skyping her dad because something in her apartment isn't working and making lots of noise.  She says "we tried everything"  Dad says "Unplug it"..... funny but seriously when did kids stop thinking for themselves?

I think part of it is the technological boom, especially the internet, it made people more lazy and more crazy!  :D

I noticed that about 10 years ago highschoolers started having cell phones. I also noticed that by about 1999/2000 most people had internet. Sure, the internet boom started circa the mid-90s, but by 1999/2000 most people had it.

Written By: snozberries on 04/08/11 at 6:49 pm

lazy definitely the case.... not to make this a day about my bitching about this generation but just to give you guys an idea on why I'm so bitter....

a guy just came in looking for his cell phone. He was arrested and for some reason the officer took his phone. The phone is not here, the officer is on his days off. The dude is pissed that I don't know about his phone (it happened a week ago). 

I don't know what to tell you (at 430 on a friday) you can call the officer on Monday when he returns and/or you can check with Lost and Found... they will be open on Monday as well...  ::)

sorry this is inconvenient for you ... maybe if you hadn't done something illegal (or paid your traffic ticket on time) then whatever it was you did bad wouldn't have gone to warrant... and perhaps, if you hadn't sped or ran a stop a sign causing my officer to pull you over you wouldn't have been arrested on that warrant for that Failure to Appear or unpaid fine... and you know then you'd still have your phone...

Written By: 80sfan on 04/08/11 at 7:04 pm

lazy definitely the case.... not to make this a day about my bitching about this generation but just to give you guys an idea on why I'm so bitter....

a guy just came in looking for his cell phone. He was arrested and for some reason the officer took his phone. The phone is not here, the officer is on his days off. The dude is pissed that I don't know about his phone (it happened a week ago).   

I don't know what to tell you (at 430 on a friday) you can call the officer on Monday when he returns and/or you can check with Lost and Found... they will be open on Monday as well...  ::)

sorry this is inconvenient for you ... maybe if you hadn't done something illegal (or paid your traffic ticket on time) then whatever it was you did bad wouldn't have gone to warrant... and perhaps, if you hadn't sped or ran a stop a sign causing my officer to pull you over you wouldn't have been arrested on that warrant for that Failure to Appear or unpaid fine... and you know then you'd still have your phone...

Your rants are amusing, but you should put them in the rants thread, LOL.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 04/08/11 at 7:08 pm

Your rants are amusing, but you should put them in the rants thread, LOL.  ;D

I like them here that way when some 15 or 19 yr old asks why I'm so bitter I can say  GO LOOK AT PAGE 8!  >:(

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/08/11 at 8:16 pm

well on the bright side at least some of your students will make to college tho I'm pretty sure based on what I've seen the standards have been really lowered. 

I was training a dispatcher (you may have remembered me beating my head during her training because she didn't really possess much common sense) ---not tribbles but after tribbles.... anyway she was a student here and her sister was a high school senior.  the trainee told me I should read her sister's essay on the TV show Lost because of my TV addiction.  (and let me just say this- in the interest of time I don't capitalize often nor do I spend a lot of time on my spelling when I post here but I do know the rules of grammar and follow them in the real world...

okay so the girl's 5 page paper went something like this.  High School Senior.

Lost is a really good TV show that airs on ABC. It takes place on a magical island where lots of mysteries occur. I really like Lost because there is good writing there. There are a lot of mysteries where strange things happen all the time. 

The main characters on Lost are Jack, Kate and Sawyer. Jack is a doctor and he is a good guy.  Kate is a fugitive and Sawyer is a con artist. They are bad people who got trapped on the island when their plane crash but now they are kind of good.

I think everyone should watch Lost because it's a really good show.

That was the first page... seriously  ::)   and she got into the University that accepted me and that I was so proud to get a degree from  ::) ::) :P
and why after I read that to I visualize a girl with her head cocked to the side saying "and Oh mah Goyd" mouth open still after she speaks...  ::)

Trust me we try as teachers, give them the rubric, give them the criteria - give them the good samples, the bad samples  - and we get the easiest they can get done... NOT ALL, I have some over achievers, but definitely not many...

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/08/11 at 8:20 pm

I think part of it is the technological boom, especially the internet, it made people more lazy and more crazy!  :D

I noticed that about 10 years ago highschoolers started having cell phones. I also noticed that by about 1999/2000 most people had internet. Sure, the internet boom started circa the mid-90s, but by 1999/2000 most people had it.
texting, t9 and abbreviations have REALLY become a problem in the written form of communication. Kids in high school today (in my school) do NOT know how to write cursive...  Note taking (when I get them to take notes) is Sooooo slow, cause they are printing it all. My 3rd grader has only spent a week on cursive, and they will not touch it again.  :-\\

I have started taking off extra points if a student answers a question IDK...  Minus 2 thank you!

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/08/11 at 8:22 pm

I like them here that way when some 15 or 19 yr old asks why I'm so bitter I can say  GO LOOK AT PAGE 8!  >:(

LOL... The worst thing is - you only get the worst cases...  The good kids never see you  - Bwahahahahahaha 8)

Written By: youngerderek on 04/08/11 at 8:47 pm

Damn some of you guys really seem to HATE young people. Anyways, let's get back on topic.

Do you think it depends on the subject? For example, I doubt 90s cars would be considered retro, but a 90s video game certainly is.

Written By: snozberries on 04/08/11 at 8:48 pm

LOL... The worst thing is - you only get the worst cases...  The good kids never see you  - Bwahahahahahaha 8)

That's so true!!!

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/08/11 at 9:37 pm

Damn some of you guys really seem to HATE young people. Anyways, let's get back on topic.

Do you think it depends on the subject? For example, I doubt 90s cars would be considered retro, but a 90s video game certainly is.
Then what is Atari??? I would say a bag phone is vintage...  Not sure about the 90's cell phone - probably junk! 

In order for something to be vintage, I think it needs to be an original model....  Not really sure

Written By: JTCool on 04/08/11 at 11:18 pm

Why I still want to read more rants on people doing dumb things, I don't think that gives a whole generation the stereotype of being dumb and not being able to use common sense. I'm guessing for all the young people that come to you with dumb issues there are just as many young people who avoided or solved their own problems themselves.

Written By: Shiv on 04/08/11 at 11:23 pm

I dunno, have you seen the new cars that have come out recently?

Written By: youngerderek on 04/09/11 at 12:14 am

I dunno, have you seen the new cars that have come out recently?

90s cars would more be 'junk' than retro (same with 80s cars, aside from maybe like the DeLorean or something). when you think retro cars, you still think of 60s cars.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/09/11 at 6:11 pm

4nIUcRJX9-o

IDK, his BFF Jill?

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj259/denlor12/bff_jill.jpg

Karma for having the self-restraint not to do the right thing.

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/10/11 at 9:16 pm

The '90s "retrometer" as of 2011

RETROMETER

10= Far out, another planet, "they don't make 'em like that anymore"!
7= Old school, but not really "ancient".
5= Getting there, but still reasonably modern
2= Too new, except for some geeks who notice a bit of a change
0= Seems like yesterday!

Music:
Rap= 9 (1990-1991), 7 (1992-1993), 5 (1995-1997), 3 (1998-1999)
Rock= 10 (1990), 8 (1991), 6 (1992-1994), 4 (1995-1996), 3 (1997-1998), 2 (1999)
R&B= 8 (1990-1991), 6 (1992-1994), 5 (1995-1997), 3 (1998-1999)

Fashion:
6 (1990-1991), 4 (1992-1996), 2 (1997-1999)

Movies:
9 (1990-1992), 7 (1993-1994), 5 (1995-1997), 2 (1998-1999)

Video Games
10 (1990-1991), 8 (1992-1994), 5 (1995-1999)

Written By: Emman on 04/11/11 at 12:26 am

The '90s "retrometer" as of 2011

RETROMETER

10= Far out, another planet, "they don't make 'em like that anymore"!
7= Old school, but not really "ancient".
5= Getting there, but still reasonably modern
2= Too new, except for some geeks who notice a bit of a change
0= Seems like yesterday!

Music:
Rap= 9 (1990-1991), 7 (1992-1993), 5 (1995-1997), 3 (1998-1999)
Rock= 10 (1990), 8 (1991), 6 (1992-1994), 4 (1995-1996), 3 (1997-1998), 2 (1999)
R&B= 8 (1990-1991), 6 (1992-1994), 5 (1995-1997), 3 (1998-1999)

Fashion:
6 (1990-1991), 4 (1992-1996), 2 (1997-1999)

Movies:
9 (1990-1992), 7 (1993-1994), 5 (1995-1997), 2 (1998-1999)

Video Games
10 (1990-1991), 8 (1992-1994), 5 (1995-1999)

I'm not sure the '90s "fashion" and look can date that much at all, especially how minimal and plain it was, it is called the "anti-fashion" decade after all(I'm mostly talking about the late '90s though). The '90s fashion could probably fit neatly into any of the recent decades since the '60s(besides very baggy pants, sloppy, homeless grungy look ect.). I think we're just now starting to move out of the moderate(but clean) look of the early/mid '00s into a more colorful indie-ish style or the suave, classic '40s-ish look.

But yeah mainstream rock music has changed the least since the end of the '90s(someone might make an argument for emo though), but mainstream rock music is kind of irrelevent in 2011 anyways.

Written By: Davester on 04/11/11 at 12:50 am

You guys are forcing this nostalgia stuff...just let it happen...

You're not supposed to plan it out ahead of time.  It's supposed to sneak-up and sucker punch you, then make-off with your wallet and sneakers...

Written By: youngerderek on 04/11/11 at 4:44 am

You guys are forcing this nostalgia stuff...just let it happen...

You're not supposed to plan it out ahead of time.  It's supposed to sneak-up and sucker punch you, then make-off with your wallet and sneakers...

True.

I think some people are kind of forgetting how colorful some 90s fashion was. Even the grunge was surprisingly colorful. Does anyone wear overalls anymore (we also called them 'suspenders')? Up to 1994, maybe even 1995 as well, colorful tones dominated. It really was more like 1995/96 up to about 2005 that dark colors ruled.

Written By: Shiv on 04/11/11 at 7:35 am

90s cars would more be 'junk' than retro (same with 80s cars, aside from maybe like the DeLorean or something). when you think retro cars, you still think of 60s cars.

80s cars are so old fashioned looking now its crazy to think that they're still less than 30 years old (well except for 80's and 81's)..

I dunno man, my first car was a 1999 Honda CRV (drove it from 2007 till I was broadsided in 2009 >:() and even that was already pretty old school by 2007. It didn't have ANY of the technology of cars today.

Two 90s cars I can think of that actually still look pretty modern are the 1996-99 Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable and the late 90s mercury cougar.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/11/11 at 7:47 am

80s cars are so old fashioned looking now its crazy to think that they're still less than 30 years old (well except for 80's and 81's)..

I dunno man, my first car was a 1999 Honda CRV (drove it from 2007 till I was broadsided in 2009 >:() and even that was already pretty old school by 2007. It didn't have ANY of the technology of cars today.

Two 90s cars I can think of that actually still look pretty modern are the 1996-99 Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable and the late 90s mercury cougar.

yeah to me, cars manufactured prior to 1992 look very old, cars from 1992 to 2001 look somewhat old and cars from 2002 to present are more or less modern cars.

Written By: snozberries on 04/11/11 at 9:42 am

Suspenders:
http://guestofaguest.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/suspenders.jpg

overalls:
http://media.onsugar.com/files/2010/04/15/1/336/3367719/d4cd298b3356eac6_overalls2.jpg

overalls in the UK:
http://www.closetradecc.co.za/images/pics/snicker6003overalls.jpg

Written By: youngerderek on 04/11/11 at 9:48 am

oh, i forgot there was a difference!!! it has been about 15 years  ;D

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/11/11 at 5:00 pm

True.

I think some people are kind of forgetting how colorful some 90s fashion was. Even the grunge was surprisingly colorful. Does anyone wear overalls anymore (we also called them 'suspenders')? Up to 1994, maybe even 1995 as well, colorful tones dominated. It really was more like 1995/96 up to about 2005 that dark colors ruled.
In 1994 and 95 - you were like 2 and 3 years old.  Every kid wears Osh Kosh, and we don't like putting our toddlers in drab colors.  Granimals still come in a variety of bright colors.  8)

Written By: youngerderek on 04/11/11 at 9:53 pm

In 1994 and 95 - you were like 2 and 3 years old.  Every kid wears Osh Kosh, and we don't like putting our toddlers in drab colors.  Granimals still come in a variety of bright colors.   8)

yeah but like, even older people wore overalls in the nineties.

Written By: 90ssongs on 04/19/11 at 4:15 am

I am not surte if everything from the 90s is legit retro but there the music is for sure.

We are seeing loads of comebacks, TV shows about 90s music, radio stations and shows which just play 90s music and websites which are very popular too (even though I do say myself ;) )

I am not too sure that the fashion or food has quite made it yet - but I suppose it is really down to each persons opinion

Got me thinking though!

Written By: youngerderek on 04/19/11 at 12:52 pm

I am not surte if everything from the 90s is legit retro but there the music is for sure.

We are seeing loads of comebacks, TV shows about 90s music, radio stations and shows which just play 90s music and websites which are very popular too (even though I do say myself ;) )

I am not too sure that the fashion or food has quite made it yet - but I suppose it is really down to each persons opinion

Got me thinking though!

of course the food isn't retro lol, aside from a few of the snacks or something!

Written By: Louise1978 on 04/26/11 at 2:12 am

I think the early 90's are definitely retro and possibly.I'm not sure about the mid 90's but definitely not the late 90's.They still feel a bit too recent and not much different to now.

Written By: *taylor on 04/26/11 at 6:29 am

I definitely think the 20 year rule counts. I think a lot of teenagers and young adults think nostalgia for their childhood makes the late 90's retro but i think nostalgia and retro are two different things in this case.

Written By: Shiv on 04/26/11 at 10:30 am

I think the early 90's are definitely retro and possibly.I'm not sure about the mid 90's but definitely not the late 90's.They still feel a bit too recent and not much different to now.

The late 90s are very dated today. Nu Metal? The mid 90s still hold up pretty well though.

Written By: joeman on 04/26/11 at 7:06 pm

The late 90s are very dated today. Nu Metal? The mid 90s still hold up pretty well though.

I think the mid 90s are very dated after watching the movie Powder again.  Great movie, and had a childhood story on it, but to me it seemed very dated, from the clothes to how people reacted in everyday situation.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/17/11 at 2:28 am

I think the early '90s are retro, but after that it still seems to recent to be retro which imo is older than "old school". Most of the '90s are still in that old school 15ish years ago category.

Check for new replies or respond here...