inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Was the 90s the first decade with gorey cartoons?

Written By: youngerderek on 04/12/11 at 10:04 am

I can't think of any cartoon before The Simpsons that had graphic violence (blood, innards, etc). However I'm sure there were, maybe some Japanese anime or something?

Subject: Re: Was the 90s the first decade with gorey cartoons?

Written By: Shiv on 04/12/11 at 10:53 am

Disney's The Black Cauldron (1985) was originally very gory, but it was all cut out at the last minute because the execs didn't want Disney's family image to be tarnished. Apparently, if released in its original intended form, it would have earned an R rating  :o

Written By: Milkof1996 on 04/12/11 at 1:58 pm

Fist of the North Star, Which debuted in 1983, is one of the Goriest Animes/Mangas I've ever seen. The main character, named Kenshiro can simply touch one's pressure points with the tip of his fingers, and with his special powers, and after his famous quote "You're already dead" the foe will die in many brutal and humiliating ways, including one's spine snapping inside him, and body explosions! This anime also invented manly tears.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/19/11 at 7:38 pm

Disney's The Black Cauldron (1985) was originally very gory, but it was all cut out at the last minute because the execs didn't want Disney's family image to be tarnished. Apparently, if released in its original intended form, it would have earned an R rating  :o

I found a picture of one of the deleted scenes. Disturbing stuff!!! Yeah the only Disney movie with blood I can think of is the Lion King, and that was only a scratch.

Written By: Crawford Crow on 04/19/11 at 10:56 pm

"Heavy Metal" (1980) and I'm sure there were independant cartoons from the 1960's & '70's that were gorey

Written By: Shiv on 04/20/11 at 11:40 pm

I found a picture of one of the deleted scenes. Disturbing stuff!!! Yeah the only Disney movie with blood I can think of is the Lion King, and that was only a scratch.

In Beauty and the Beast, towards the end, theres a shot of the Beast with blood running down his side (right after Gaston stabs him and falls off the castle).

Also I think, although Im not certain, in The Little Mermaid, Usula bleeds after the ship mast is rammed through her.

Written By: SuperDude526 on 04/22/11 at 6:58 pm

Heavy Metal.  From the 80's, I believe.

Written By: Shiv on 04/22/11 at 8:11 pm

Heavy Metal.  From the 80's, I believe.

Haha, I have that on VHS. What a bizarre, f'd up movie.

Written By: SuperDude526 on 04/22/11 at 9:48 pm

I first saw it when I was 12.  Thank God it didn't have any effect on my psychological development! :D

Written By: joeman on 04/25/11 at 10:22 pm

This cartoon reminds me of this topic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3zOpDn3Kb0

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/22/11 at 12:27 am

No. 1963 -- Edward Gorey

The Gashleycrumb Tinies

http://ops.tamu.edu/x075bb/poems/gorey/k.jpg

http://www.jimu.net/photos/images/gashlycrumb_-_h.gif

http://www.navdeepsinghdhillon.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/x.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...