inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do the 90s Disney movies compare to the ones made from the 1930s to '60s?

Written By: youngerderek on 04/19/11 at 11:41 pm

imo they are just as good. but the ones from the 2000s are not.

Subject: Re: Do the 90s Disney movies compare to the ones made from the 1930s to '60s?

Written By: RG1995 on 04/20/11 at 12:16 am

imo they are just as good. but the ones from the 2000s are not.
Lion King, Aladin, Little Mermaid, Mulan, Pocahantas(or however you spell it), etc, etc...

1990s Disney was one of their best eras.

Subject: Re: Do the 90s Disney movies compare to the ones made from the 1930s to '60s?

Written By: 80sfan on 04/20/11 at 1:35 am

From 1989 to 1999 was a nice 10 year run for them.

Written By: Mat1991 on 04/20/11 at 5:35 am

There were three "golden eras" for Disney:

The first one, which lasted from 1937 to 1942, was Walt Disney's breakthrough with full-length animated films, starting with Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and ending with Bambi.

The second one, which lasted pretty much the entire 1950s, was due to the end of World War II (during which time Disney only made "packaged" films which weren't held to the same calibre as his other films). It was during this period that other classic Disney movies such as Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty were released.

After Walt Disney's death in 1967, the '70s and the '80s would churn out films that were either of mediocre quality or good without being considered "classics." This is known by some as the "dark ages" of Disney.

The third golden age began in 1989 with the release of The Little Mermaid, which sparked the Disney Renaissance of the 1990s.

Basically, the Renaissance of the 1990s was a golden age for Disney, but it wasn't the only one.

I'd say that, since the beginning of the 2000s, Disney is currently in the middle of an "in-between" period. Since the huge successes of both The Princess and the Frog (2009) and Tangled (2010), it's possible that another "golden age" may be upon us, but it's too soon to tell. Many Disney fans are feeling a great deal of frustration because of Disney's use of CGI and almost complete abandonment of traditional animation.

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/20/11 at 9:55 am

Another aspect of the "three golden eras" is the stuff beyond the feature films. The first era (I like to call that the true golden age) had dozens of great Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Pluto, and Goofy shorts- basically as classic as Disney gets!

The second era (I call that the "silver age") had Disney moving into television (Mickey Mouse club, Wonderful World Of Disney) as well as the opening of Disneyland, and just before Walt's death, the envisionment of Disney World and Epcot Center. The relationship with Walt Disney Co. and ABC began in earnest in this era as well. This era came to an abrupt halt when Walt died.

The third era (I call that the "bronze" age to parallel with the comic book eras) had more TV-oriented cartoon series (The Disney Afternoon and when the Disney Channel was at its best), as well as the opening of MGM (now Hollywood Studios), the Animal Kingdom, and Disneyland Paris.

This current in between era will likely be known as the "Pixar era". It will also be blamed for cheesy live action shows/music like Hanna Montana and the Jonas Brothers.

Written By: nupur on 04/20/11 at 12:33 pm

The 90's animated films were amazing. I really, really love The Princess and the Frog more than I had expected, too, though! Watching it felt like watching something along the lines of Aladdin, in terms of the humor and the characters. Aladdin is my all time favorite Disney movie.

Written By: Shiv on 04/20/11 at 11:34 pm

The 90s Disney movies were epic. Like they were literally epics...huge budgets, huge soundtracks, state of the art special effects, incredible animation, everything about them was big. The only downfall was that they used the same basic story line over and over  :-\\

Regardless, Tarzan is the last Disney classic, at least unless another golden age comes along.

I was glad to see The Princess and the Frog, being a huge traditional animation lover and all.

As for CGI, I'm pretty sick of it at this point. It's pretty cool in its own right, but how it completely replaced traditional animation and its beauty and richness and art, I will never understand. The two should be able to coexist.

Written By: Louise1978 on 04/26/11 at 2:09 am

I loved the 90's Disney animations.I was eleven when The Little Mermaid was released.I was a teen when the other great movies from that decade came out but being young at heart I enjoyed Aladdin,The Lion King and Beauty and the Beast.

Written By: *taylor on 04/26/11 at 6:32 am

I've actually never liked any of the 90's Disney movies. The ones from the 80's and before have always been better to me (:

Check for new replies or respond here...