inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When do you think the late 90s/ very early 00s will be "old school"?

Written By: Kitkat1991 on 04/29/11 at 1:02 pm

I ask this because the time period from like 1998 to about 2001  doesn't  feel dated. I know pop culture was vastly different, but it doesn't have that "old vibe" like the early 90s or even the 80s.

Subject: Re: When do you think the late 90s/ very early 00s will be "old school"?

Written By: Emman on 04/29/11 at 2:50 pm

But it does feel dated(at least to me).

Subject: Re: When do you think the late 90s/ very early 00s will be "old school"?

Written By: Shiv on 04/29/11 at 3:51 pm

Depends on how much change happens in the '10s.

Either way I'd say in another 10 years.

Written By: Mat1991 on 04/29/11 at 4:09 pm

Personally, the late '90s and - to a certain extent - the early '00s feel a little "old school" to me. Whenever I look at pictures from that era, I get a slight retro vibe. It could be that I was in elementary school during that time and, now that I'm in college, my perception of time is affected because of that.

Written By: Emman on 04/29/11 at 5:32 pm

I'd say most of the popular music of that time is dated, especially nu-metal and the R&B styled rap music(remember Ja Rule ;D), the sound was just more laid-back. The whole dynamic of music is very different, 2010 was a very weird year in my opinion, it was the first year in my experience that rock music was not popular in the top 40. I really doubt rock music will be very relevant in the '10s, making the '10s a very different decade from the '50s-'00s. I guess if someone(who was into the pop culture at the time) from 2001 came to 2011 and listened to the popular music, they'd probably remark on how futuristic and techno it sounds :D. I'd say the fashion looked the least different during most of the '00s, with 2008 being the year fashion started to look noticablly different from that period.

Written By: Mat1991 on 04/29/11 at 7:41 pm

I'd say most of the popular music of that time is dated, especially nu-metal and the R&B styled rap music(remember Ja Rule ;D), the sound was just more laid-back. The whole dynamic of music is very different, 2010 was a very weird year in my opinion, it was the first year in my experience that rock music was not popular in the top 40. I really doubt rock music will be very relevant in the '10s, making the '10s a very different decade from the '50s-'00s. I guess if someone(who was into the pop culture at the time) from 2001 came to 2011 and listened to the popular music, they'd probably remark on how futuristic and techno it sounds :D. I'd say the fashion looked the least different during most of the '00s, with 2008 being the year fashion started to look noticablly different from that period.

I actually disagree with your remark on fashion. From what I observed from the mid to late '00s, fashion seemed very angsty (presumably from emo's influence on the era), yet at the same time a lot dressier. For example, women's fashion took a more feminine turn starting around the mid '00s. While some '90s trends stayed strong throughout much of the '00s, I disagree completely on the notion that fashion for much of the '00s was no different from the '90s. In fact, I think it was very different from the '90s.

Written By: Emman on 04/29/11 at 7:50 pm

I actually disagree with your remark on fashion. From what I observed from the mid to late '00s, fashion seemed very angsty (presumably from emo's influence on the era), yet at the same time a lot dressier. For example, women's fashion took a more feminine turn starting around the mid '00s. While some '90s trends stayed strong throughout much of the '00s, I disagree completely on the notion that fashion for much of the '00s was no different from the '90s. In fact, I think it was very different from the '90s.

Yeah you're right, the "fit" of clothes became tighter too in the '00s compared to the loose, sloopy '90s.

Written By: Shiv on 04/29/11 at 8:52 pm

Yeah you're right, the "fit" of clothes became tighter too in the '00s compared to the loose, sloopy '90s.

For women. Baggy was still in for men up until recently.

Written By: Shiv on 04/29/11 at 8:57 pm

. The whole dynamic of music is very different, 2010 was a very weird year in my opinion, it was the first year in my experience that rock music was not popular in the top 40. I really doubt rock music will be very relevant in the '10s, making the '10s a very different decade from the '50s-'00s.

The 10s are going to suck balls then  :P

Written By: joeman on 04/30/11 at 1:17 am

Personally around 2015 or so when the teenagers of that era(born in the mid 80s) are in their early 30s.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/30/11 at 1:25 am

Not until at least 2020.

Written By: Louise1978 on 04/30/11 at 5:13 am

Depends on how much change happens in the '10s.

Either way I'd say in another 10 years.

I agree.In another 10 years 2001 will be 20 years ago.I think the late 90's early 00's period really will look dated by then,just like the early 90's look dated now.

Written By: Derek Younger on 04/30/11 at 6:30 am

I would already say they are a little bit old school, but if you mean feel like another era, my guess would be around 2016 or 2017. 2001 was definitely a key year, something changed then, and I'm not just saying that because of 9/11, there was a distinct cultural change from late 90s culture to 2000s culture that year. December of 2001 felt similar already to up to 2007, and January of 2001 wasn't all that different from 1996.

I think the reason anything after 1996 still feels kind of "new" is because a lot of late 90s things are still popular, such as Britney Spears, South Park, Eminem, The Real World, Family Guy, Justin Timberlake (he hasn't had a hit since 2006 but SexyBack is still considered a pretty new song).

obviously the late 90s wasn't exactly like today, many people still didn't have the Internet, and those who did it was almost all dial-up, cell phones were still relatively uncommon compared to today, certainly not essential items, music like Chumbawamba, the Spice Girls and Eiffel 65 wouldn't get anywhere today, or really even anywhere after 2001. nobody was saying "epic fail" in the 90s or before 2005 even.

still i think you have to go back about 15 years, to 1996, to get to a time that is in any meaningful way, a different era from today (1996 was still kind of pre-internet). i remember the mid 90s, it was definitely a 20th century feel.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 04/30/11 at 7:10 am

Certain kinds of pop music, the whole post-grunge thing, and straight hair on women never really changed much from the late 90's. Although the wavy curls thing caught on, straight hair is still everywhere. Most everything else was certainly different from the late 90's. At least half the music, most clothes, men's hairstyles, Much better technology etc.

Written By: Derek Younger on 04/30/11 at 7:16 am

Certain kinds of pop music, the whole post-grunge thing, and straight hair on women never really changed from the late 90's. Although the wavy curls thing caught on, straight hair is still everywhere. Most everything else was certainly different from the late 90's. At least half the music, most clothes, men's hairstyles, Much better technology etc.

Is it fair to say 'straight hair' is a 90s holdover though? i mean afterall, through most of history, straight hair on women was the fashion. curls and perms were a deviation from the normal.

after all. you dont see any women with Rachel hair anymore.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 04/30/11 at 7:19 am

I guess, but in the mid-80's, up until the mid-90's, the straight hair thing wasn't in.

Written By: Kitkat1991 on 04/30/11 at 7:34 am

Certain kinds of pop music, the whole post-grunge thing, and straight hair on women never really changed much from the late 90's. Although the wavy curls thing caught on, straight hair is still everywhere. Most everything else was certainly different from the late 90's. At least half the music, most clothes, men's hairstyles, Much better technology etc.

I always thought crimped hair was a late 90s/ early 00s thing because i remember seeing many women, pop stars,  and even kids in my elementary  school with it.  I don't see many women with crimped hair now. I don't even think they make crimping irons anymore.

Written By: SuperDude526 on 04/30/11 at 8:26 am

I'd say anything pre-9/11 feels pretty dated to me already.  It really was a different time.

Written By: Mat1991 on 04/30/11 at 5:50 pm

Is it fair to say 'straight hair' is a 90s holdover though? i mean afterall, through most of history, straight hair on women was the fashion. curls and perms were a deviation from the normal.

after all. you dont see any women with Rachel hair anymore.

I don't think straight hair on women was really fashionable until the 1960s. It was probably sparked by hippie women, who just let their hair grow out naturally without styling it in any way. Long, straight hair really caught on in the 1970s.

Prior to straight hair becoming the norm, women were expected to style their hair in various ways.

Written By: Louise1978 on 05/01/11 at 12:02 am

I always thought crimped hair was a late 90s/ early 00s thing because i remember seeing many women, pop stars,  and even kids in my elementary  school with it.  I don't see many women with crimped hair now. I don't even think they make crimping irons anymore.

I haven't seen crimping irons for years.I remember that crimped hair fad in the late 90's.I had a crimping iron too.Only the straight hair look has carried over from the 90's.I remember perms being popular in the early to mid 90's but I don't see anyone with them anymore either(except for old ladies lol).

Written By: Midas on 05/03/11 at 8:26 pm

Now.  NO!! wait--

Now.

Written By: whistledog on 05/03/11 at 10:29 pm

Now.  NO!! wait--

Now.

naw man, it's now.  Or wait a second.  No now.

Written By: whistledog on 05/03/11 at 10:30 pm

naw man, it's now.  Or wait a second.  No now.

No wait.  Now.  No

Ok, now.

Written By: Midas on 05/03/11 at 11:52 pm

Wait--did it happen?  Did I miss it? 

When did this happen?

Written By: SuperDude526 on 05/04/11 at 6:31 am

Wait--did it happen?  Did I miss it? 

When did this happen?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzO4BSTnkgg

Written By: yelimsexa on 05/04/11 at 6:37 am

Anyway, I still feel appalled whenever something from the Internet/cellphone era feels "old school", as it just seems "too modern" with respect to current trends. The early '90s are a different story as landlines were used for over 95% of calls and the Internet wasn't yet commercialized and only used mainly at top secret places. Then again, one person's trash is another person's nostalgia (for instance, Baby Boomers appalled when the '80s became oldies, but Gen Xers of course love it.) The teens of that era are still in their mid-late '20s so it's a bit too soon. Generally, most nostalgia starts with childhood memories as one generation has children, so that indulging in the memories of the parents' youth can pass it on to their children, then as the parents' kids grow up, the nostalgia generally moves toward stuff when they were teens to pass it on to their children to prepare their children to be proper teens.

Written By: 90ssongs on 05/05/11 at 4:44 am

I think that it all depends on how old you were during that era - if you were quite young then it will feel Old School, however, I think if you are older it will feel very much the same. This is largely due to older people beginning to become "set in their wys" with regards to taste in fashion music and technology.

Written By: SuperDude526 on 05/05/11 at 7:10 am

I suppose that's true in a way; I feel that way about the early to mid-00s (in terms of being set in my ways).

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/07/11 at 9:05 pm

Ok, now.

p5PiXt6INSM

Nyao?

Written By: Brian06 on 05/11/11 at 2:59 am

I think it is definitely "old school", which I'd say is 10-20 years ago. I don't take "old school" as meaning ancient per se, it's more like a more recent gone by era that is definitely dated now and that's exactly where the turn of the millenium era would stand.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 04/24/12 at 9:29 pm

Is it really just me? I find late 90s definitely old school. Like super old school that I don't even see much of a distinction from the 80s. XD You can tell when you see clips from the late 90s that the resolution is much poorer than now and fashion is hugely different. Music also very different (From 2007 it was also different) Late 90s is very, very different from now in term sof fashion and I notice that a lot. Early 00s up to 2002 seem very old school to me too. I'd say anything "90s" is definitely old school.  :P

Written By: Howard on 04/25/12 at 6:47 am

In about 10-15 years.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 04/29/12 at 5:06 am

Is it really just me? I find late 90s definitely old school.

It's probably because you were just in the first half of your single digits during that time. I don't think it's that different actually. Definetly dated, but not 'old school'.

And you don't see a distinction from the 80's? You could see differences even in the early 90's ::)

Written By: amjikloviet on 05/22/12 at 2:35 pm

The late '90s feel very dated to me, and I know this because back then I was in my late teens. When I look back to 1996 or 1997 it does seem dated and old...even 1998 does.

This is sort of off topic everyone, but I really miss that mid to late '90s dance music sound :-\\ Anyone else or is it just me? *sigh* I wish music still sounded like that.

Written By: Howard on 05/22/12 at 7:12 pm

I would wait another 5-10 years before the 90's/00's become really "old school".

Written By: belmont22 on 10/30/12 at 4:06 pm

I was listening to Eminem's first album from 1999 and it sounds pretty dated to me, the references and everything. I'd say it's kinda already there. It's not dated like the 80s or early 90s but it's long enough ago you can separate it from current trends and recognize it.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/30/12 at 4:10 pm

Weird Al's 1999 album Running With Scissors is old enough that a teenager today probably wouldn't get at least half the references about Eddie Vedder, Sarah Michelle Gellar, AOL, etc.

Written By: warped on 10/30/12 at 4:36 pm

No wait.  Now.  No

Ok, now.

I agree with the 2nd "now"

Written By: Headphones1989 on 10/30/12 at 4:57 pm

I was listening to Eminem's first album from 1999 and it sounds pretty dated to me, the references and everything. I'd say it's kinda already there. It's not dated like the 80s or early 90s but it's long enough ago you can separate it from current trends and recognize it.

My Name Is - Eminem would be very out of place would seem awkward next to stuff in the charts today.

In my opinion, it only takes about 10-12 years for something to become 'old school'.

Written By: Jquar on 10/30/12 at 7:04 pm

I think people should watch Office Space from 1999 and I'd be surprised if anyone told me that it doesn't feel kind of old school now.

I mean, considering that more than 10 years have passed the pop culture of that era is easily mostly dated by now. A lot of tech stuff gets dated after 4-6 years.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/30/12 at 9:16 pm

Eminem's first album does sound dated as well as his second.  I really miss the sound of hip hop in the early '00s.

Written By: popguru85 on 11/12/12 at 12:11 pm

It kind of already is. WWE is focusing the new game on The Attitude Era. Boy Meets World may be getting a reboot. South Park is Still going strong. These things were the late 90's to me.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/12/12 at 12:13 pm

It kind of already is. WWE is focusing the new game on The Attitude Era. Boy Meets World may be getting a reboot. South Park is Still going strong. These things were the late 90's to me.

It's practically the new Simpsons now. Can't believe it's still on after 15 years, and it's in contract to make it to at least 2016. It's not quite as relevant but there's still plenty of people who keep up with it, it's amazing.

Written By: popguru85 on 11/12/12 at 12:25 pm

It's practically the new Simpsons now. Can't believe it's still on after 15 years, and it's in contract to make it to at least 2016. It's not quite as relevant but there's still plenty of people who keep up with it, it's amazing.

It is amazing it's been on the air this long but an episode from 1998 compared to one from 2012 is a huge paradigm shift. The show back then was more focused on stuff the kids would say and fart jokes. Now there seems to be more of a focus on social satire or making fun of pop culture

Written By: belmont22 on 11/12/12 at 12:26 pm

It is amazing it's been on the air this long but an episode from 1998 compared to one from 2012 is a huge paradigm shift. The show back then was more focused on stuff the kids would say and fart jokes. Now there seems to be more of a focus on social satire or making fun of pop culture

Yes it's more or less a commentary on social issues. Essentially a glorified comic strip. Hypothetically speaking it could be made until Matt and Trey die.

Written By: popguru85 on 11/12/12 at 12:45 pm

Yes it's more or less a commentary on social issues. Essentially a glorified comic strip. Hypothetically speaking it could be made until Matt and Trey die.

It seems that Matt and Trey aren't solely relying on South Park to make them $$$. The Broadway musical is doing very well and the Team America Movie made them some decent $$$.

Check for new replies or respond here...