inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 90s: A lighter time to film.

Written By: Ryan112390 on 05/18/11 at 4:44 pm

Back in the 90s, a lot of campy, dumb, even cheesy films were released and pretty much accepted; some were even pretty popular. Compare the 90s Batman to today's vision of him as a prime example of the shift in mindset. Does anyone agree that, at least in film, the 1990s were a lighter time period? It seems today we crave darker, grittier, and more realistic films, whereas back in the 90s campy and cheesy escapism was still acceptable.

Subject: Re: The 90s: A lighter time to film.

Written By: joeman on 05/18/11 at 9:42 pm

Back in the 90s, a lot of campy, dumb, even cheesy films were released and pretty much accepted; some were even pretty popular. Compare the 90s Batman to today's vision of him as a prime example of the shift in mindset. Does anyone agree that, at least in film, the 1990s were a lighter time period? It seems today we crave darker, grittier, and more realistic films, whereas back in the 90s campy and cheesy escapism was still acceptable.

The Batman series in the 90s sucked, except for the ones that starred Michael Keaton.  Come on, Jim Carey as the riddler?  And don't get me started with Seal's  Kiss From The Rose..

I liked the 00s Batman because he is suppose to be a really dark character and was much closer to the Batman from Frank Miller comics. 

Written By: Ryan112390 on 05/19/11 at 12:48 am

The Batman series in the 90s sucked, except for the ones that starred Michael Keaton.  Come on, Jim Carey as the riddler?  And don't get me started with Seal's  Kiss From The Rose..

I liked the 00s Batman because he is suppose to be a really dark character and was much closer to the Batman from Frank Miller comics. 

Yeah, the point wasn't which is better--I was just using it to illustrate what I see as a big difference in the public's taste in film from then to now. I miss campiness and cheesiness and escapism in film.

Written By: yelimsexa on 05/19/11 at 6:49 am

Yeah, the point wasn't which is better--I was just using it to illustrate what I see as a big difference in the public's taste in film from then to now. I miss campiness and cheesiness and escapism in film.

It was, but definately pales in comparison to the '80s cheesiness/escapism. The '90s were really a transition between the cheesiness of '80s films and the CGI/darker/less fantasy looking films of the early 21st century. In 1990, you had Home Alone and Pretty Woman, and even Ghost is sort of "escapist" compared to more recent horror films. But 1998 had Armageddon and 1999 had the Matrix which was nothing like the feel of the early '90s and are still by no means "cheesy" to most.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 05/20/11 at 3:16 am

I don't think 90s movies had as many clear trends as the 80's and '00's. Light comedies, horror-comedies, Dark, edgy movies, and disaster action movies. That's about it. I don't even think there were nearly as many sequels as the 80's and 00's.

Written By: Ryan112390 on 05/26/11 at 6:46 pm

I don't think 90s movies had as many clear trends as the 80's and '00's. Light comedies, horror-comedies, Dark, edgy movies, and disaster action movies. That's about it. I don't even think there were nearly as many sequels as the 80's and 00's.

The 90s seems to be like...If the 80s was the party, the 90s was the hangover, or the clean up.
The excess and turbulence of the 80s was replaced with just...pleasant, albeit boring, content. Peace and plenty, which seems much less interesting to people than decadence and tragedy.
In everything from music to fashion to mindsets, the '90s was a stripped down decade compared to the 60s, 70s, 80s or 00s. A very laid back decade. That's what makes it utterly different pop culture wise. Except for the early early 90s--where a lot of the 80s stuff was held over--nothing really SHOUTS at you as being either really amazing or utterly ridiculous in terms of '90s pop culture, for the most part.  I mean there are some exceptions--like the Macarena--but I can't think of any others at the minute.

It just seems like in the '90s we settled in a peaceful, prosperous time and did nothing but whatever needed to be done, and relaxed. Even the ferocity of American politics in the 90s couldn't dim the quiet fun of the decade.

Written By: Shiv on 05/26/11 at 8:55 pm

I wouldn't really call 90s movies "cheesy", aside from how every childrens/family movie had to be a musical.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/26/11 at 9:40 pm

I thought the 4 Batman films in the 90s were alright. I didn't like the 4th one much though.

Written By: delaford321 on 05/30/11 at 8:55 pm

Armageddon not cheesy? Creditably voided.

Check for new replies or respond here...