inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did you go see Titanic in theatres in 1997/1998 ?

Written By: 80sfan on 05/23/11 at 11:57 pm

I didn't. I saw it on video when it came out in 1998.

Okay I'll admit it. I liked the film, but I didn't love it.

How about you...did you see it in theatres?

Subject: Re: Did you go see Titanic in theatres in 1997/1998 ?

Written By: joeman on 05/24/11 at 12:32 am

I didn't. I saw it on video when it came out in 1998.

Okay I'll admit it. I liked the film, but I didn't love it.

How about you...did you see it in theatres?

Yes, saw it with my family.  Was pretty awkward seeing it with your dad a movie which showed naked boobies, especially when it was coming from a PG-13 movie.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/24/11 at 12:46 am

Yes, saw it with my family.  Was pretty awkward seeing it with your dad a movie which showed naked boobies, especially when it was coming from a PG-13 movie.

Awkward is right. Wow. :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/24/11 at 1:29 am

No, I refused to!

Too long and the awful sining at the end.

Written By: gibbo on 05/24/11 at 5:41 am

I also couldn't bring myself to part with actual money to see it (at the time). I saw it many years later (on free-to-air tv).  I still cannot believe that this movie was at the top for all those years.  :o   The soppy love story angle ruined a perfectly good disaster  >:(  ... but,  it was a happy ending when Leonardo slipped away beneath the icy waters. At least they couldn't be together!

I enjoyed the earlier 1953 'Titanic' with Clifton Webb, Barbara Stanwyk and the young Robert Wagner. With the men singing 'Nearer My God To Thee' as the ship sank...

Written By: Brian06 on 05/24/11 at 7:17 am

Yeah I went with my Dad.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/24/11 at 7:24 am

Awkward...but nice nonetheless.  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 05/24/11 at 7:27 am

I also couldn't bring myself to part with actual money to see it (at the time). I saw it many years later (on free-to-air tv).  I still cannot believe that this movie was at the top for all those years.  :o   The soppy love story angle ruined a perfectly good disaster  >:(  ... but,  it was a happy ending when Leonardo slipped away beneath the icy waters. At least they couldn't be together!

I enjoyed the earlier 1953 'Titanic' with Clifton Webb, Barbara Stanwyk and the young Robert Wagner. With the men singing 'Nearer My God To Thee' as the ship sank...

It was number one until Avatar came out in '09.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/24/11 at 7:28 am

No, I refused to!

Too long and the awful sining at the end.

I'm not a big fan of the song myself.  :(

Written By: Mat1991 on 05/24/11 at 10:06 am

I was only six years old when the movie came out, but my parents went to see it in theaters. They bought it on video when it was released and they only let me watch part two (probably because of the sex and nudity in part one).

Written By: Shiv on 05/24/11 at 11:19 am

I was only six years old when the movie came out, but my parents went to see it in theaters. They bought it on video when it was released and they only let me watch part two (probably because of the sex and nudity in part one).

Same. My mom only let me watch up until the ship sank. She thought the aftermath of the sinking (with all the dead people floating in the water and Rose and Jack's "goodbye" and stuff) would have been too disturbing for me. She was probably right...when I finally got around to seeing that part around age 17, I almost cried, and I never cry at movies.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/24/11 at 12:24 pm

I pressed the 'Forward' button when I saw it on video with my brother.  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 05/24/11 at 12:25 pm

Same. My mom only let me watch up until the ship sank. She thought the aftermath of the sinking (with all the dead people floating in the water and Rose and Jack's "goodbye" and stuff) would have been too disturbing for me. She was probably right...when I finally got around to seeing that part around age 17, I almost cried, and I never cry at movies.

Actually, I gotta admit, there were parts that were kinda sad.  :\'(

Written By: tamra1989 on 05/24/11 at 1:43 pm

Yes, I saw it with my mom.

Written By: whistledog on 05/24/11 at 8:41 pm

I never saw it.  I didn't see all the rage as I would rather have seen a movie where you didn't know the ending already.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/24/11 at 9:05 pm

lol I saw it three times opening weekend.  I went once by myself Friday, then one of my friends said they wanted to see it.  So... ok, we saw it (on Saturday.)  Then the next day (Sunday) another friend wanted to go see it.  After that I was Titanic'd to death.  Haven't wanted to see it since, and I still shudder when I accidentally hear Celine Dion's song somewhere.  I did stand in line with my gay friend when the video was released (yes, it was a midnight sale - the first official time that Blockbuster could sell it.)  Yes, I bought a copy (but never watched it, since I rarely watch stuff I buy.  Yes, it's a sickness.)  So I finally ended up donating the video to the library I worked at where it was rented a few times.  At least somebody got my money's worth.  :D

Written By: 80sfan on 05/24/11 at 9:48 pm

lol I saw it three times opening weekend.  I went once by myself Friday, then one of my friends said they wanted to see it.  So... ok, we saw it (on Saturday.)  Then the next day (Sunday) another friend wanted to go see it.  After that I was Titanic'd to death.  Haven't wanted to see it since, and I still shudder when I accidentally hear Celine Dion's song somewhere.  I did stand in line with my gay friend when the video was released (yes, it was a midnight sale - the first official time that Blockbuster could sell it.)  Yes, I bought a copy (but never watched it, since I rarely watch stuff I buy.  Yes, it's a sickness.)  So I finally ended up donating the video to the library I worked at where it was rented a few times.  At least somebody got my money's worth.   :D

Wow, I think more than 2 times is a bit much, Lol.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/24/11 at 9:48 pm

I never saw it.  I didn't see all the rage as I would rather have seen a movie where you didn't know the ending already.

I never thought of it that way.

Written By: whistledog on 05/24/11 at 10:59 pm

You know what I thought was stupid about the idea of making a Titanic movie?  There were too many possibilities.

1517 people died on the Titanic, so theoretically, you could make 1517 different movies about the Titanic, each one with the same ending. 

Written By: gibbo on 05/25/11 at 4:10 am

It was number one until Avatar came out in '09.

Another mystery to me ... Avatar was a good special effects/3D film ... but not THAT good!  I guess if it's about box office $s .. then the additional 3D price pushed up it's worth.  :-\\  I can't believe that it is based on bums on seats!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/25/11 at 5:29 pm

Another mystery to me ... Avatar was a good special effects/3D film ... but not THAT good!   I guess if it's about box office $s .. then the additional 3D price pushed up it's worth.  :-\\  I can't believe that it is based on bums on seats!

Also look at the era Avatar came out in, much of the other stuff that came out in theaters were remakes of remakes of remakes of 70's television.  Anything that wasn't a remake stood a good chance of making a pretty good buck just from people disgusted with other stuff available in theaters.  ::)

Written By: Ryan112390 on 05/26/11 at 6:50 pm

I got the soundtrack sometime around '98 or '99. Don't remember seeing the film. It doesn't mean I  didn't see it, but I don't remember it.
A few films stick out for me from 1997 to 1998: The Lost World (saw in theatres and got all the toys associated with it for Christmas 1997); Armageddon (my friend had a poster for it; we rented it; I loved it); Men in Black (got it on VHS); George of the Jungle (saw it in theatres); Flubber (saw it in theatres; got toys from it around my birthday or Christmas 1998).

Written By: 80sfan on 05/26/11 at 7:26 pm

I got the soundtrack sometime around '98 or '99. Don't remember seeing the film. It doesn't mean I  didn't see it, but I don't remember it.
A few films stick out for me from 1997 to 1998: The Lost World (saw in theatres and got all the toys associated with it for Christmas 1997); Armageddon (my friend had a poster for it; we rented it; I loved it); Men in Black (got it on VHS); George of the Jungle (saw it in theatres); Flubber (saw it in theatres; got toys from it around my birthday or Christmas 1998).

Cool.

I so remember The Lost World toys at Blockbuster! I even bought one because I was obssessed with dinosaurs back then. And yes, I even bought the Titanic soundtrack in '98 I think.

Written By: Step-chan on 05/30/11 at 5:22 pm

I never did.

Only saw it on cable and honestly didn't care for it.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/30/11 at 10:04 pm

I never did.

Only saw it on cable and honestly didn't care for it.

I know A LOT of people who absolutely either hate it or don't care for it!! I liked it though, but it isn't a kind of movie that would make the top of my list.  ::)

Written By: 80sfan on 05/30/11 at 10:06 pm

Yes I have seen it in the theatre, that was in early '98 and had the movie soundtrack too at the time!

There was a time in early '98 where Celine Dion started getting on my nerves because of the darn theme song being so popular! Lol.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/01/11 at 12:36 pm

There was a time in early '98 where Celine Dion started getting on my nerves because of the darn theme song being so popular! Lol.
There is nothing wrong with the rest of the soundtrack music, it is the closing song that gets me going!

Written By: 80sfan on 06/01/11 at 2:11 pm

There is nothing wrong with the rest of the soundtrack music, it is the closing song that gets me going!

The Titanic phenomenon helped Celine become extremely popular during the time!

Written By: whistledog on 06/01/11 at 4:23 pm

I went to watch Titanic at your mom's house.  We didn't end up watching the movie at all :P

Written By: 80sfan on 06/01/11 at 4:42 pm

I went to watch Titanic at your mom's house.  We didn't end up watching the movie at all :P

;D ;D

My mom would be 50 at the time of Titanic's release.

Written By: SpaceHog on 07/23/11 at 1:23 am

Saw it in theaters. I'm also writing a prequel to the movie focusing on Rose's family.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/23/11 at 2:24 am

Saw it in theaters. I'm also writing a prequel to the movie focusing on Rose's family.

Cool!

Written By: Louise1978 on 07/24/11 at 4:17 am

No.I first saw the movie on video.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/25/11 at 12:08 am

I read a really good sequel fanfic online, it was about Rose's life afterwards.  She became a seamstress and Molly Brown helped her out later in the story.  I wish I knew what it was called now...  :-\\

Written By: SpaceHog on 07/25/11 at 12:31 am

I read a really good sequel fanfic online, it was about Rose's life afterwards.  She became a seamstress and Molly Brown helped her out later in the story.  I wish I knew what it was called now...  :-\\

I have Christopher Walken playing her father.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/25/11 at 1:03 am

No.I first saw the movie on video.

Me 2.

Written By: wsmith4 on 07/26/11 at 9:01 am

I saw the original 37 times in the theater.  The sequel I only saw 22 times.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/26/11 at 10:37 am

I saw the original 37 times in the theater.  The sequel I only saw 22 times.

;D

Written By: amjikloviet on 08/07/11 at 7:18 pm

I saw in on video as well, regret that I didn't go watch it at the cinema like everyone else did at the time.

Written By: Tia on 08/07/11 at 9:22 pm

i did. i liked it, but haven't felt a driving need to see it again.

a little blooper: i know you can see this on the big screen, i dunno if it comes across on blu-ray/dvd/vhs, but the first establishing shot of the titanic sailing, with the long-shot vistas of the crewpeople etc. walking on deck, are done with mid-90s quality CGI and they look SO STUPID. it's awesome.

Written By: wsmith4 on 08/10/11 at 10:11 am

i did. i liked it, but haven't felt a driving need to see it again.

a little blooper: i know you can see this on the big screen, i dunno if it comes across on blu-ray/dvd/vhs, but the first establishing shot of the titanic sailing, with the long-shot vistas of the crewpeople etc. walking on deck, are done with mid-90s quality CGI and they look SO STUPID. it's awesome.

YES! I noticed this too.  The movements are so rigid and fake... DUMB

Written By: King Tut on 08/10/11 at 5:38 pm

I saw it 2 times.

Written By: robodog on 08/11/11 at 1:15 pm

It's just one of those movies I have no interest in. I wouldn't watch it even if it was on TV for free.

Written By: nally on 08/11/11 at 1:24 pm

It's just one of those movies I have no interest in. I wouldn't watch it even if it was on TV for free.

I had no interest in it, either. However, I did see a widescreen version on video while it was still playing in theaters. Still, it's not anything I'd be dying to watch again.

Written By: Starde on 08/14/11 at 8:01 pm

First saw it with my mom on that 2 tape VHS set sometime in late '98 or '99. I believe it's coming out in theaters again in 3D on the 100th anniversary of the sinking in April 2012 next year.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/15/11 at 1:24 am

This film was on TV last Saturday night, I saw about 20 minutes of it, but could not face the rest of it.

Written By: Tia on 08/16/11 at 8:37 am

This film was on TV last Saturday night, I saw about 20 minutes of it, but could not face the rest of it.
yeah, "titanic" isn't everyone's brand of humor. Personally i prefer less physical comedy.

Written By: lorac61469 on 08/16/11 at 9:52 am

I never saw it in the theaters but have seen it on DVD/TV.  It drives me nuts how many times say "Jack" and "Rose".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRqK96LehXE

Written By: Tia on 08/16/11 at 10:11 am

i am now completely off topic but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp1RTGZxBTw

Written By: wsmith4 on 08/16/11 at 10:14 am

That was very clever!  Never noticed how many times they said each other's names before.

I was incredibly shocked at the end, when the boat sank completely.  I truly thought they were all going to be somehow saved by the Lusthitania

Written By: 80sfan on 08/18/11 at 9:36 pm

You're heart is definitely not fond of Titanic..... your heart will go on and on....  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/19/11 at 1:22 am

You're heart is definitely not fond of Titanic..... your heart will go on and on....  ;D
My heart goes on when the television is switched off.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/19/11 at 9:00 am

My heart goes on when the television is switched off.

Or changed to another channel!  :-X

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/19/11 at 3:02 pm

Or changed to another channel!  :-X
Too true

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/19/11 at 11:33 pm

I blew it off thinking it was a chick flick.  Boy, was a wrong.  I wish I'd gone to see it on the big screen.  Wonderful film.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/20/11 at 2:10 am

The film Titanic does contain one of my favourite mistakes, the hands sketching Rose are clearly too old to belong to Jack. (They actually belong to director James Cameron.)

Written By: nupur on 08/23/11 at 11:09 am

I was 7 years old in 1997 and, for some reason, I was dying to go see Titanic in theaters. My mom took me to see it (my brother, who is a year older than me, might have come along, too). All I can say is I was hugely disappointed. For one, the movie was incredibly long for a 7 year old; I got bored. My mom just said, "Don't look," for the couple awkward scenes. The worst part about seeing it when I was so young was that I didn't understand the point of the story. I followed the plot just fine, but I didn't feel any sort of emotional connection to the story. I was also quite angry at older-Rose when she dropped that giant blue diamond over the side of the boat (I still kind of am).

I watch the movie now and I really enjoy it. Sometimes it'll be playing on TV and I just get sucked into it. I love watching young Leo and Kate act together.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/23/11 at 1:37 pm

...For one, the movie was incredibly long for a 7 year old;...
It is incredibly long for anyone of any age!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/15 at 4:44 pm

No, I refused to!

Too long and the awful singing at the end.
I still refuse to watch the end of the film!

Also, the film is now unbelievable for having a fictitious story within a true event.

Written By: Howard on 08/07/15 at 4:51 pm

I watched it when it came to videotape.

Written By: nally on 08/07/15 at 9:44 pm

I still refuse to watch the end of the film!

I'm with you; I don't think I even want to watch any part of it again. Earlier in this thread I mentioned seeing it once, on videotape, and for me that was enough.

Also, the film is now unbelievable for having a fictitious story within a true event.

All the more reason it doesn't really interest me.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/07/15 at 9:50 pm

I'm with you; I don't think I even want to watch any part of it again. Earlier in this thread I mentioned seeing it once, on videotape, and for me that was enough.

Well, they try to make the Titanic attack accurate enough to realize how terrible it was. Even over a hundred years later, we still find it to be one of the saddest British-American tragedies.

Written By: nally on 08/07/15 at 9:55 pm

Well, they try to make the Titanic attack accurate enough to realize how terrible it was. Even over a hundred years later, we still find it to be one of the saddest British-American tragedies.

It certainly was, yes. :\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...