inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pining over the late 90s now

Written By: 80sfan on 05/24/11 at 11:41 pm

Lately, I've been really pining over the 1997 to 2001 era or the late 90s era.

I was between age 9 to 12 so that could've contributed to the rosy outlook I have for the late 90s. Also, the economic boom of the mid 90s to early 00s gave the era an optimistic and sunny feel.

What was happening in your life during the late 90s? Was a good time or bad time for you? Or was it neutral/normal for you?

Subject: Re: Pining over the late 90s now

Written By: Emman on 05/25/11 at 12:46 am

I didn't like the late '90s too much(school problems, family drama, teen-pop), but I am very fond of the early '00s(2000-2002).

Written By: joeman on 05/25/11 at 9:27 am

Lately, I've been really pining over the 1997 to 2001 era or the late 90s era.

I was between age 9 to 12 so that could've contributed to the rosy outlook I have for the late 90s. Also, the economic boom of the mid 90s to early 00s gave the era an optimistic and sunny feel.

What was happening in your life during the late 90s? Was a good time or bad time for you? Or was it neutral/normal for you?

I'd extend the era to 2002 as I see it as an epilogue year rather than a new era.

Anyways, I was 12-17 in that era, and yes it did shape me a lot.  My brother graduated HS in 1997 and went to college at that time.  I finished middle school and went to HS by the end of the decade.   Honestly, I don't really remember Middle School all that much anymore, as nothing stuck a chord to me.  However, in 8th grade I do remember the whole Columbine incident, and some stupid kid coming in the next day wearing a trench-coat.  Had new neighbors of a kid my age, and moved from not to far from Columbine.   I do feel Columbine played a huge part in our generation.

Y2K was important as I was/still am big with computers.   I remember seeing ads on Best Buy prices for Y2K based products and how people bought into them.  Did like New Years Eve 1999, as Limp Bizkit did a cover of Prince's "1999."   I started working around 2000 at Publix Supermarkets.  Started smoking when I was 14 because I thought that was what the cool kids do and started smoking pot around the final year of 2000.  Got kicked out of school before 9/11, for reasons I don't want to explain right now, and moved to an adult school where I graduated a year earlier(was suppose to graduate in 2003).  Had my first girlfriend, and was crushed  :\'(.

As far as fashion goes...I was wearing flannel and admittedly baggy jeans.  While Nu-Metal was popular at the time, not a lot of people I know listened to it.  However the fashion was there as I knew people with braided hair, tattoos and piercings.  Most of the people I know listened to rap like Xzbit and Master P(remember him? lol).  As fas myself goes, I was listening to Alternative music, Stone Temple Pilots, Rob Zombie, Creed(don't hate!), Korn, and Linkin Park. I watched Dawson's Creek, 7th Heaven, Attitude-Era WWF, Mission Hill, and other good shows in that era.

9/11 was pretty big deal thing for me.  To me, it changed a lot people's perspective on America, as it is no longer looked as invincible.   I remember going on the Internet seeinga video of American Jets getting revenge against Osama Bin Laden with Drowning Pool's "Bodies" playing.  We were all behind Bush and America.  The hate between the Muslims were big, as there were reports of them getting killed in America by disgruntled citizens.   People were pissed, and school was canceled the day after.

For me personally, late 2002 was a new chapter of my life as I went to college and had a lot of fun.  I'd personally take 2003-early 2007 over the early 00s, but I will always remember the early 00s being a very crucial part of my life.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/25/11 at 11:00 am

I didn't like the late '90s too much(school problems, family drama, teen-pop), but I am very fond of the early '00s(2000-2002).

Your late 90s sounds like my late 00s. Family drama, school problems. Except there was little teen pop in the late 00s.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/25/11 at 11:10 am

I'd extend the era to 2002 as I see it as an epilogue year rather than a new era.

Anyways, I was 12-17 in that era, and yes it did shape me a lot.  My brother graduated HS in 1997 and went to college at that time.  I finished middle school and went to HS by the end of the decade.   Honestly, I don't really remember Middle School all that much anymore, as nothing stuck a chord to me.  However, in 8th grade I do remember the whole Columbine incident, and some stupid kid coming in the next day wearing a trench-coat.  Had new neighbors of a kid my age, and moved from not to far from Columbine.   I do feel Columbine played a huge part in our generation.

Y2K was important as I was/still am big with computers.   I remember seeing ads on Best Buy prices for Y2K based products and how people bought into them.  Did like New Years Eve 1999, as Limp Bizkit did a cover of Prince's "1999."   I started working around 2000 at Publix Supermarkets.  Started smoking when I was 14 because I thought that was what the cool kids do and started smoking pot around the final year of 2000.  Got kicked out of school before 9/11, for reasons I don't want to explain right now, and moved to an adult school where I graduated a year earlier(was suppose to graduate in 2003).  Had my first girlfriend, and was crushed  :\'(.

As far as fashion goes...I was wearing flannel and admittedly baggy jeans.  While Nu-Metal was popular at the time, not a lot of people I know listened to it.  However the fashion was there as I knew people with braided hair, tattoos and piercings.  Most of the people I know listened to rap like Xzbit and Master P(remember him? lol).  As fas myself goes, I was listening to Alternative music, Stone Temple Pilots, Rob Zombie, Creed(don't hate!), Korn, and Linkin Park. I watched Dawson's Creek, 7th Heaven, Attitude-Era WWF, Mission Hill, and other good shows in that era.

9/11 was pretty big deal thing for me.  To me, it changed a lot people's perspective on America, as it is no longer looked as invincible.   I remember going on the Internet seeinga video of American Jets getting revenge against Osama Bin Laden with Drowning Pool's "Bodies" playing.  We were all behind Bush and America.  The hate between the Muslims were big, as there were reports of them getting killed in America by disgruntled citizens.   People were pissed, and school was canceled the day after.

For me personally, late 2002 was a new chapter of my life as I went to college and had a lot of fun.  I'd personally take 2003-early 2007 over the early 00s, but I will always remember the early 00s being a very crucial part of my life.

I won't hate you for liking Creed. I actually like them. They sold so millions so there had to be a ton of people who liked or still do like them.  ;D

By mid-2001 I was starting adolescence so the innocent outlook wore off for me.

Written By: sonikuu on 05/25/11 at 2:53 pm

You must be around the same age I am.  I also am nostalgic for the late 90s and very early 00s.  I remember being addicted to Pokemon, watching wrestling every week (WWF and WCW), being a huge Nintendo fan, etc.  My mom always had VH1 or MTV on in the mornings when I was getting ready for school.  Since they still played music videos in the morning hours back at that time, that's how I became familiar with a lot of the music of the day.  My most fond childhood memory though was when me and the rest of fifth grade went on "science camp" (in retrospect, there wasn't much science or maybe I just don't remember that part) for a weekend.  It was awesome: first time to be away from my parents from that long, hanging with other kids in our cabins, telling stories around a campfire, etc.

My childhood came to an end in 2001.  The combination of starting seventh grade at a junior high with none of my friends plus 9/11 basically started a newer, less innocent time for me, personally.  While in retrospect there are certain aspects of late 2001-2003 that I liked, I would never personally go back and relive the era.  For the most part though, I was out of touch with the pop culture of the day and didn't become "in touch" again until 2004, when things started looking up.

Of course, not all of it is nostalgic.  I never liked Spongebob at all and felt even at 10 years old that Nickelodeon was on the downhill slide by 1999, heck even 1998 as I was watching mostly reruns by that point.  Also, in retrospect, signs of the end of my childhood years were actually popping up in the first half of 2001, when puberty started to works its "magic", if you will, on me and the rest of sixth grade.  Despite that, those years were great years for me and I'll always have an attachment to them.  I used to say they were the "best years of my life", but so far the early 2010s have surpassed them.

Written By: 00s_teen on 05/26/11 at 3:43 am

Late 90s, they were less interesting than the early 90s, but my life was happier than now (2006-2011). What I really miss, however is 2000-2005.

Written By: kitkat1991 on 05/26/11 at 8:53 am

I was 6-10 during 1997-2001. I am actually nostalgic for 1998-2001. Those are my core kid years for some  reason. i have been thinking about that time period.  Of course things seemed great because i was little. I liked WWF/WCW, I miss the teen pop era 1999-2001.  I was heavily into that, just like kids that were my age.  I enjoyed the early 00s greatly. I conside 9/11 the death of my childhood. I was only 10, but I felt a huge shift in everything, it was really weird.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/26/11 at 10:23 am

The late '90s was like my early adolescence/junior high years, I turned 12 in 1999. I really think the turn of the millennium was a great era overall, not everything was great but there was much more optimism in the atmosphere back then. It started dying right after 2000 came and went and was dead forever on the morning of September 11, 2001. I was kind of a nerd and big with computers, always have been. Lots of big tech firsts for me back then, first digital camera, first cell phone, first dvd player. A lot of things that we take for granted today were just coming up in the late '90s. I had a PS1 too, which I got back in '96. I remember playing Crash Bandicoot, Gran Tourismo, Castlevania, Tomb Raider in those days. I also got a Dreamcast the day it came out in 1999, it had amazing graphics for that time though it ended up flopping was a cool system that was ahead of its time. Y2K was exciting and a big deal, I had a few T-Shirts and I made a video for New Year's Eve. Jim mentioned Columbine which I remember well, I was actually in a hospital that day about to get my appendix out and I'll never forget watching the events of Columbine on TV before I got wheeled off for surgery. Also remember a kid having a "hit list" later that school year at my own school and getting expelled. Musically I was just getting deep into music and I embraced pop, r&b, alternative rock. I liked some boy band songs, TLC, 702, Destiny's Child, Aaliyah, Christina Aguilera, Third Eye Blind, Creed, Eminem, Matchbox Twenty, 3 Doors Down. I especially gravitated to that r&b pop style which became the foundation of my music tastes, songs like "No Scrubs" just make me feel good.  ;D Overall I would very important era in my life and memorable even with it's downfalls. This is just mostly about the late '90s and not the early 2000s which I consider a separate albeit related era.

Written By: Shiv on 05/26/11 at 10:38 am

I was socially awkward for most of my childhood, so I didn't have too many friends then. I did hang out with these 2 kids, one had like, anger issues and was really into all the nu metal, the other was into Blink 182 and stuff.

My sister loved teen pop.

TV was still pretty good then. Most of the nicktoons were still going strong, the Disney Channel was still the Disney Channel and Spongebob was still new and hadn't started sucking yet.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/26/11 at 11:24 am

You must be around the same age I am.  I also am nostalgic for the late 90s and very early 00s.  I remember being addicted to Pokemon, watching wrestling every week (WWF and WCW), being a huge Nintendo fan, etc.  My mom always had VH1 or MTV on in the mornings when I was getting ready for school.  Since they still played music videos in the morning hours back at that time, that's how I became familiar with a lot of the music of the day.  My most fond childhood memory though was when me and the rest of fifth grade went on "science camp" (in retrospect, there wasn't much science or maybe I just don't remember that part) for a weekend.  It was awesome: first time to be away from my parents from that long, hanging with other kids in our cabins, telling stories around a campfire, etc.

My childhood came to an end in 2001.  The combination of starting seventh grade at a junior high with none of my friends plus 9/11 basically started a newer, less innocent time for me, personally.  While in retrospect there are certain aspects of late 2001-2003 that I liked, I would never personally go back and relive the era.  For the most part though, I was out of touch with the pop culture of the day and didn't become "in touch" again until 2004, when things started looking up.

Of course, not all of it is nostalgic.  I never liked Spongebob at all and felt even at 10 years old that Nickelodeon was on the downhill slide by 1999, heck even 1998 as I was watching mostly reruns by that point.  Also, in retrospect, signs of the end of my childhood years were actually popping up in the first half of 2001, when puberty started to works its "magic", if you will, on me and the rest of sixth grade.  Despite that, those years were great years for me and I'll always have an attachment to them.  I used to say they were the "best years of my life", but so far the early 2010s have surpassed them.

I agree with everything you said except I like Sponge Bob. I think he's funny in a stupid way of course.
I am 22 (turning 23 this November).

Written By: 80sfan on 05/26/11 at 11:26 am

The economy peaked on March 10, 2000. I learned that recently. No wonder there was such a feeling of optimism in the air.

Check for new replies or respond here...