inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hotshots I and II

Written By: joeman on 05/30/11 at 11:21 pm

Anyone ever watched the movie series?  They were a cheesy, lighthearted movie that stars Charlie Sheen.  It was interesting how the comedy was back then, as I can't imagine this movie be pulled off today.

Subject: Re: Hotshots I and II

Written By: whistledog on 05/31/11 at 1:47 am

Hot Shots: Part Deux had a Robocop spoof ... Miguel Ferrer, who played Bob Morton in 'Robocop', plays Commander Harbinger, and in one scene, when you see Topper's body count, he at one point reaches the level of Robocop.

Richard Crenna also pays hommage to his Colonel Trautman role in the Rambo Trilogy, this time as a character named Colonel Denton Walters.  In the 1950's TV series 'Our Miss Brooks', Richard Crenna played a character named Walter Denton

Also watch for the 'Apocalypse Now' spoof:  When the crew are out on the boat, Topper's thoughts get mixed up with that of Captain Ben Willard (played by Martin Sheen) in a nearby boat.  As the two boats pass, Topper and Ben both stand up and say "I loved you in Wall Street"

Ryan Stiles also appears in both Hot Shots! films but as different characters.  In the first one, he plays Topper's father who was killed by the hunter after the plane crash, and in the 2nd one, he plays Rabinowitz.

Rabonowitz:  I'm looking forward to blowing up something for you, sir!
Topper:  I'm looking forward to your explosions

Jon Cryer was also in the first Hot Shots!.  Hmm. Charlie Sheen, Jon Cryer and Ryan Stiles?  Sounds like "Two and A Half Men" ... Wait a second ...

In the Season 8 episode of 'Two and a Half Men' where Alan (Jon Cryer) burns down the house, Herb (Ryan Stiles) says to Charlie:  "You're a real maverick"
He may not be a maverick, but he did spoof Tom Cruise's Top Gun character of Maverick in Hot Shots!

Check for new replies or respond here...