inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why did the Chevy Chase show fail?

Written By: joeman on 05/30/11 at 11:23 pm

Apparently Chevy Chase career went to a downward spiral in the 90s when his talk show kicked off and lasted for 6 weeks.   Why did it fail?  The Family Guy answer seems to be "no junk no soul."

Subject: Re: Why did the Chevy Chase show fail?

Written By: whistledog on 05/31/11 at 1:28 am

A:  It was on the FOX network in late night.  Who watches the FOX network at that time?
Had it of been a daytime talk show, it might have succeeded. After his show was cancelled, he still continued to have Box office success:  'Man of the House', 'Snow Day' and 'Orange County' were all hits.

He has made a nice comeback with 'Community' on NBC and the hit 'Hot Tub Time Machine'. 

Written By: danootaandme on 05/31/11 at 1:59 am

It wasn't funny

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/31/11 at 2:09 am

Because, as Johnny Carson is alleged to have said, "Chevy Chase couldn't ad-lib a fart at a baked bean dinner." :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/31/11 at 10:32 am

It wasn't funny

Remember Charles Grodin's show?  You'd think he was totally stoned!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/grommit.gif

Because, as Johnny Carson is alleged to have said, "Chevy Chase couldn't ad-lib a fart at a baked bean dinner." :D

"I'm Chevy Chase, and you're not!"
Chevy is a comic actor.  If the camera is on him, he has to be the center of attention.  Makes for poor hosting.  Whether or not Carson said that, the sentiment is true.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/31/11 at 10:35 am

It wasn't funny

I love your subtly! ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/01/11 at 7:13 pm

Chevy Chase interviews Robert De Niro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiiuivDi234

Stupid, stupid interview, especially considering A Bronx Tale is one of my all-time favorite movies. I mean, of all the things you could ask De Niro about that film, you're gonna ask him about learning how to drive the bus?

Really, Chevy?!?  ::) ::) ::)

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/12/11 at 8:06 pm

I watched a bunch of the shows when they aired... the big advantage they squandered was that they were on at 11 when the rest of the shows started at 11:30.  Since I have never cared for network news (I'll take a paper or now a news website over TV news any day) it was one of the few things on that wasn't news or a 20 year old rerun. 

The shows were dreadful.  Light on comedy bits, and even those were bad.  Chevy had clearly done no practice interviews ahead of time and was just bad at reading people.

Check for new replies or respond here...