inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Were the '90s a good time for you?

Written By: Ryan112390 on 06/25/11 at 2:45 pm

In retrospect, were the '90s a good time for you?
In my life lookling back, it seems for me the 90s were a period of false, fragile prosperity--a period of financial prosperity and a seeming calm, but really something of a gilded age, at least for my family. Prosperity and good times with an underbelly of horrible times and turbulence.

From all I've heard and seen, it seems the geuninely best period, for my family in the 90s, was from about 1994-1997, or perhaps 1994-1996. The early '90s (1991-1993) were turbulent, dark years; the middle 90s were a period of peace, prosperity, a lot of fun and positive activity, good memories. It began to fall apart around 1996, however, a lot of things in my family did. In 1996 my sister moved out, my closekniit family of uncles and aunts began to move away from each other, all moving to separate states, my own family (parents and myself) went through a major move in late 1996 that in the long run has proven to have been a horrid idea. In 1997, the upheavel of '96 hadn't really set in yet and there was a lot of activity--vacations, work on the new house we had, etc--so it seemed like the good times had continued. By 1998 and 1999 it was back to that dark, turbulent feeling that the early 90s was.

I can't really go into much detail except to say that the actions of one man and a rising and falling cycle of addiction on his part had a lot to do with the early and late 90s being dark. The mid 90s was the most "clean" period and as such was a great time for my family and myself.

Subject: Re: Were the '90s a good time for you?

Written By: Mat1991 on 06/25/11 at 4:47 pm

I was eight years old when the '90s ended. It was a very fun time for me. I remember playing video games on the Super Nintendo with my cousin, watching Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon shows, and going to see all the new Disney movies that were released during that time.

I was so preoccupied with other things that I never really paid attention to the news. I think the only news story I somewhat paid attention to was the death of Princess Diana, though that was partially because I was fascinated by the fact that she was a princess.

Written By: ladybug316 on 06/25/11 at 7:12 pm

I was in my 20's in the 90's.  It was a very good time for me  ;)

Written By: Louise1978 on 06/25/11 at 10:25 pm

I preferred the second half of the 90's.I turned 18 in 1996.I was working and able to go out to clubs and drink alcohol(I'm from Australia and the legal drinking age is 18).I had more independence and freedom than the early part of the 90's.I didn't have a great high school experience so that ruined the early years of the 90's for me.I liked the music,tv shows and movies from that time though.So much better than what's on offer now.The 90's pop culture was great.

Written By: Midas on 06/28/11 at 12:15 am

Me too :D

Written By: JohnAvery94 on 06/28/11 at 1:58 am

My Memories in the 90s, from Age 2 to 5, 1996 to 1999 were epic. Read my 1994 Debate trend to see my memories from those epic times.

Written By: JaxRhapsody on 06/28/11 at 4:23 am

No one wants to read that crap. I love the 90's I was a kid with all the good TV. Not everything was great my life wasn't grand-you know like we didn't have money. I had the general 90's youth, mother no father. But hey I didn't pay attention too much as a kid so whatever's clever. I wish I could relive it at an older age, like my age now. Sometimes I think the worst thing about the 90's is remembering it. Makes me sad as I face these new years. I feel like somebody born in the 1880's facing the new century.

Written By: karen on 06/28/11 at 6:11 pm

I got married, graduated from university and my daughter was born so I'd say it was a pretty good decade

Written By: nupur on 06/29/11 at 8:03 pm

The 90's were the bomb. I grew from the age of 0 to 10. No worries, just kid stuff. It was a beautiful time. I don't know whether or not I would have enjoyed the 90's as much if I was an adult during that time. Probably not.

Written By: nicole1977 on 06/30/11 at 1:43 pm

I preferred the second half of the 90's.I turned 18 in 1996.I was working and able to go out to clubs and drink alcohol(I'm from Australia and the legal drinking age is 18).I had more independence and freedom than the early part of the 90's.I didn't have a great high school experience so that ruined the early years of the 90's for me.I liked the music,tv shows and movies from that time though.So much better than what's on offer now.The 90's pop culture was great.

Your story sounds like my life in the 90s.  I like the whole 90s culture as far as music, TV shows, movies, concerts that I went to, and all that, but as far as life in general in the 90s, in the early 90s when I was in high school, it wasn't a great experience for me.  I didn't have a lot of friends when I was in high school.  I was kinda awkward.  I was picked on a lot in high school in the early 90s, and my family made fun of me for not being like the other teenagers at that time.  The mid to late 90s were better as far as experiencing life is concern.  I entered adulthood when I turned 18 in 1995,  graduated out of high school in 1995, went to college in 1995 (even though I didn't finish it, it's a long story).  I had more fun in the mid to late 90s because I was out of high school.  I hated high school.  I went to clubs in the mid to late 90s, had my first job in the mid to late 90s.  I too LOVE the 90s culture, the style, the fashion, and the music from that era was OFF THE CHAIN, especially R&B music.  I will choose the 80s culture as a child and the 90s culture as a teen and 20-something over today's culture any day, and that's real talk!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/30/11 at 3:30 pm

The 1990s was basically a transitional period for me. 

The first few years of the decade, I was in limbo. I was trying to heal from my abusive first marriage (that ended in 1988), and coming to terms with the fact that my plans for the future (spending 20 years in the military) didn't happen and that some day I may eventually lose my vision. I also entered into a long term relationship-not exactly a good one-but a very bizarre one. I also worked at a job that really sucked (data entry).

Then in 1992, I went back to school and my life changed. I met the love of my life but we didn't start dating until 1995 and I finally moved in with him in 1998. Yeah, the decade had it's ups & downs but over all I have to say that it was good. I came out of that transitional time so much better and life has been wonderful since. 

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 06/30/11 at 6:28 pm

My Memories in the 90s, from Age 2 to 5, 1996 to 1999 were epic. Read my 1994 Debate trend to see my memories from those epic times.

Why couldn't you have posted those here?  Oh right because it was not a thread you started ::)

I know he was banned.  I just like getting his goat LOL

Written By: Shiv on 06/30/11 at 8:51 pm

I was eight years old when the '90s ended. It was a very fun time for me. I remember playing video games on the Super Nintendo with my cousin, watching Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon shows, and going to see all the new Disney movies that were released during that time.

I was so preoccupied with other things that I never really paid attention to the news. I think the only news story I somewhat paid attention to was the death of Princess Diana, though that was partially because I was fascinated by the fact that she was a princess.

Same.

Growing up during the Disney Reneissance was sick. Such quality films those were.

It was the pre-9/11 era. People were nowhere near as paranoid as they are today.

Written By: returnofthedarko on 07/01/11 at 12:36 pm

ehhh, they were alright. i am growing fonder of the nineties as time passes on and they continue to diverge and seem stranger and more different from present times. weird how that happens

Written By: fusefan on 07/02/11 at 5:08 pm

I can only remember '94 and later, and what I do remember is being picked on a lot as a kid and really hating school. And my parents argued with each other until they got divorced in '99. So not really.  :P

Written By: 80sfan on 07/02/11 at 5:44 pm

I don't remember 1990 at all!

I remember bits and pieces of 1991 and 1992, like being carried at age 3 by my dad, going to a picnic with the rest of the family in the summer of 1992, or my 3rd birthday where my mom bought me a cake with a train on it! I remember early 1993 where my parents bought me a Bart Simpsons doll! It was more like a stuff animal than a doll!

Once we get to about Spring of 1993 is when I can finally remember 100% of my memories.

1993 was when I began Pre-school, but nothing else special happened.
1994 was a little more eventful with my mother getting her first car (we moved to America in 1991) and didn't have to share with my older brother anymore. Also, I remember watching Power Rangers in the autumn of 1994 and 'Bobby's World'.
I remember going to the stores buying a lot of toys with my parents in 1995 and also I remember renting the Lion King on video in the Summer of 1995 and also, I remember the Summer being extremely hot in 1995. I was obssessed with the Simpsons in 1995 and 1996!
1996-1998 was my favorite years of the 90s. By 1997 I had outgrown all my toys, but I was still interested in Foxx Kids though. I remember there was a HUGE snowstorm in October of 1997 in Nebraska. 1996, I made 2 friends, but had a falling out after 3 months! 1998 was great and I was interested in music by then cause I listened to the Top 40 a lot in 1998. And yes, even though I was only 9, I do remember the Clinton/Monica Lewinsky Scandal of 1998!  ;D
I went to the pumpkin patch for the first time in the fall of 1998.

1999- I went jetskiing a lot in the summer and got obssessed with Pokemon that year! I went out and played a lot with my friends in the Spring of 1999.

Overall, the 90s was a very rosy and good decade for me, but it could've been because I was a little kid so I am a little bias.

This rosy outlook on life went on until the fall of 2000 when I started Jr. High and puberty set in! LOL.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/06/11 at 10:40 pm

The '90s would have been a great time to be in your 20s.  It also was a great time to be a kid but a not-so-great time to be a teenager.

Written By: nicole1977 on 07/07/11 at 6:42 pm

The '90s would have been a great time to be in your 20s.  It also was a great time to be a kid but a not-so-great time to be a teenager.

When it comes to being a teenager, that can be  said about ANY decade.  A teenager goes through peer pressure and what have you.  I doesn't have anything to do with being a teenager in the 90s.  I have some no-so-pleasant times in the early 90s, but I also have a lot of good memories and good times in the early 90s as well.  If anything, I think that teenagers in the late 90s have it harder than teenagers in the early 90s.  Trust me, I was there.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/07/11 at 6:53 pm

I was in the 5th grade in 1995.

Student teaching that is.  :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: joeman on 07/07/11 at 7:49 pm

I was in 5th grade in 1995...

You were probably my teacher then lol.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/08/11 at 12:06 pm

I was in 5th grade in 1995...

You were probably my teacher then lol.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Karma for making me laugh.

Cat

Written By: Milkof1996 on 07/08/11 at 11:39 pm

I guess the 90s was a good time to be a fetus too?

Written By: Creeder on 07/11/11 at 5:22 pm

I'm born in 1989 so I was a kid in the 90's. And that was the last good decade to be a kid. Great music, movies, games...
The 90's in my country were a time of great economic and political crises and transition from communism to democracy, but I didn't care at the time.

Written By: gmann on 07/13/11 at 4:55 am

No significant complaints here. I started the decade in high school and ended it finally graduating from college. I got my first semi-respectable job in my field and met the love of my life. All in all, the 90's were a good time for me. 

Written By: amjikloviet on 08/05/11 at 7:01 pm

Were until 98, 1991 was probably the worst year for me. I will say yes and no.

Written By: Matthew Davis on 08/10/11 at 5:00 pm

I was born in 92, i can only remember the years 95 through 99. And for those years ive been around family alot. watched alot of nickelodeon rented alot of barney tapes, and mighty morphin power rangers tapes. yep its not something i brag about now. i remember me and my cousin playing outside, jumping on trampoline pretending to be power rangers. watching disney movies. my very first day at school, and how fun it was.being in kindergarden and having my first girlfriend.So was the 90s a good time for me? As far as i can remember it sure was. i just wish i was here throughout the whole decade and remember all the other good things that happened like: the rise of grunge, Beverly hills 90210, buying metallicas black album, when it first came out, go to woodstock 94 and 99, be part of the generation x era. i just wish i had a time machine to go all the way back to 90 and see how the world was in the first 2 years and then the year i was born then relive my childhood.

Written By: robodog on 08/11/11 at 1:22 pm

I was severely depressed throughout much of the 90s. They weren't a time I'd want to go back to. There were a few good times, but the bad largely outweighed the good.

Written By: 00s_teen on 08/12/11 at 6:23 pm

90s music sucked and it sucks even more now. i never liked it then, and I don't like it now. 80s and early-mid 00s music is far better imo.
I also didn't like the way people dressed. When it comes to my personal life, well, for the most part the 90s were so-so, but some years sucked. The best years from the 90s were 1992-1994, when I was in kindergarten. In fall 1995 I started school and I got a friend that proved to be real bad company. Guy made me escape classes at school. He moved away in 1997 or so, but my next class friend also made me skip classes. 1995-2000 was not a good period for me, it was not terrible, but a very dull time as a whole. I hated the music my peers listened (Spice Girls, Britney, etc.), I didn't like the fashion. And cars looked like balloon looking crap, they were too ovoid. IMO, in 2001 things got way better music- and fashion-wise. Also, in the early-mid 00s my life got a lot better.

Written By: 00s_teen on 08/12/11 at 6:40 pm

When it comes to being a teenager, that can be  said about ANY decade.
That's true but just for some people. I remember my early teen years (2001-2004/5) when I was 13-16 more fondly than my childhood. My life was way better than when I was a child in the 90s. I was more aware of the world around me, yet didn't have the responsibilities of adults yet.

Written By: King Tut on 08/12/11 at 6:47 pm

90s music sucked and it sucks even more now. i never liked it then, and I don't like it now. 80s and early-mid 00s music is far better imo.
I also didn't like the way people dressed. When it comes to my personal life, well, for the most part the 90s were so-so, but some years sucked. The best years from the 90s were 1992-1994, when I was in kindergarten. In fall 1995 I started school and I got a friend that proved to be real bad company. Guy made me escape classes at school. He moved away in 1997 or so, but my next class friend also made me skip classes. 1995-2000 was not a good period for me, it was not terrible, but a very dull time as a whole. I hated the music my peers listened (Spice Girls, Britney, etc.), I didn't like the fashion. And cars looked like balloon looking crap, they were too ovoid. IMO, in 2001 things got way better music- and fashion-wise. Also, in the early-mid 00s my life got a lot better.

There is still good music out today. Don't look for Britney or Bieber or Kanye or Gaga or Rebecca Black. The good music is harder to find, but it's still there. Don't expect another Elvis or Beatles or Elton or Michael Jackson though.

Written By: kitkat1991 on 08/13/11 at 8:19 am

I only remember bits and pieces 1995, I remember 1996-1999 vividly though. I remember going to the movies with my bro and father to see the power rangers movies in '95 when i was 4, that's all  I remember. 1996 is when my mom almost burned the house, i'm not gonna go into that, but we were evacuated. I remember spice girls, but was too young for them. 1997 is when I started 1st grade, which wasn't good. 1998-1999 was decent. I watched my parents fight all the time though. I am grateful that my parents got me everything i wanted, but their relationship really effected me as a child.

Written By: Bobby on 09/03/11 at 9:57 pm

For me, 1990 and 1991 were special years but after 1991 I had some horrible years to come. Sadly, I never liked the 1990s as a result but things turned around as the decade drew to a close.

Check for new replies or respond here...