inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Roaring Gorilla Toy (Mid-Nineties) help identifying

Written By: Morton100 on 07/05/11 at 10:23 pm

Hello, I'm new here.

Anyway I'm wondering if anyone has any information or the name of the toy I'm about to describe. It was a Battery Operated Silverback Gorilla. Had a button on belly, and (on/off) switch on foot. Once switched on, the gorilla would walk (w/wheels on feet) it's eyes would flash red, it's arms would raise and it would open it's mouth and give out a mechanic sounding roar. It was made of plastic, and had rubber hands. It's size was quite large for a toy, around the same size as Big Frank (Playskool) from the nineties. I'm not sure if it was made by a popular brand but I'd take a chance and say it was since I first bought it from Toys R Us.

Made in the mid-nineties. I remember getting it at around 97...

I'd really appreciate any info!   :)

Subject: Re: Roaring Gorilla Toy (Mid-Nineties) help identifying

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/07/11 at 9:26 pm

Anyway I'm wondering if anyone has any information or the name of the toy I'm about to describe. It was a Battery Operated Silverback Gorilla. Had a button on belly, and (on/off) switch on foot. Once switched on, the gorilla would walk (w/wheels on feet) it's eyes would flash red, it's arms would raise and it would open it's mouth and give out a mechanic sounding roar. It was made of plastic, and had rubber hands. It's size was quite large for a toy, around the same size as Big Frank (Playskool) from the nineties. I'm not sure if it was made by a popular brand but I'd take a chance and say it was since I first bought it from Toys R Us. 

Long shot: This little fella on eBay?  Plush, but he's battery-operated, walks, and roars.  But I don't think that mouth opens.

Another long shot: Based on the date, maybe a variation on Optimus Primal?

Did it look more like a real gorilla, or more like a cartoon/anime gorilla?

Written By: Morton100 on 07/07/11 at 11:56 pm

Long shot: This little fella on eBay?  Plush, but he's battery-operated, walks, and roars.  But I don't think that mouth opens.

Another long shot: Based on the date, maybe a variation on Optimus Primal?

Did it look more like a real gorilla, or more like a cartoon/anime gorilla?

He was quite realistic for a toy, he was made of plastic but the plastic had a fur pattern. I remember he was in a big box with a try me button.

Written By: Jim on 10/16/11 at 3:25 pm

Hello, I'm new here.

Made in the mid-nineties. I remember getting it at around 97...

I'd really appreciate any info!   :)

Hi;

It would appear as though I too am seeking info on what sound to me to be the same toy. Except, the on/off swith is on the back. It stands 13 in. tall and its eyes light up GREEN. I can not find any manufacturers name on it what so ever.
I thought it dated back to the 60's, but  I could be wrong. If you would like a picture, or have any new information, please contact me a ....  tgt@cogeco.ca

Check for new replies or respond here...