inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did you listen to Grunge in the early to mid-90s?

Written By: 80sfan on 07/08/11 at 1:11 am

I was too young and born in '88, but I love Nirvana. I haven't listened to any other grunge bands though.

But did any of you listen to grunge in the 90s?  :D

Subject: Re: Did you listen to Grunge in the early to mid-90s?

Written By: joeman on 07/08/11 at 7:58 am

I was too young and born in '88, but I love Nirvana. I haven't listened to any other grunge bands though.

But did any of you listen to grunge in the 90s?  :D

My brother started listening to it when I was 6 years old.  I knew what it was at the time but didn't understand the whole grunge movement until I was a freshmen in HS.  Unfortunately, I found out the meaning of Pearl Jam's Jeremy then and this was a few months after Columbine.

When I was 10, I had a Blind Melon cd, not grunge, but alternative.  There was an alternative station down here until the mid 2000s when it turned into rap.

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/08/11 at 8:53 am

Yup!  Love it!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/10/11 at 11:53 pm

I listened to music from the Olympia underground in the mid-'80s:  Green River, Mudhoney, Killdozer, Flipper, U-Men, The Minituemen, Nirvana...My sister tried to sell me on this stuff home from college back east.  I said no thank you.

Written By: whistledog on 07/11/11 at 12:22 am

I hated Grunge, as it was mostly guys with deep voices that sounded like they were on suicide row.  I love a good song with loud guitars, but I found Grunge music quite depressing at times.

Written By: Emman on 07/11/11 at 1:10 am

I honestly fail to see how grunge was considered fresh(even in '91) and original, alot of mainstream rock from the late '70s onward is just repackaged versions of punk(new wave, grunge, pop punk, emo). I even fail to see what was so completely original about punk music from the '70s too, I was reading an interview on the disco architect Giorgio Moroder and he said punk was just basically regurgitated '60s garage rock, I completely agree. I find it very laughable that people even think grunge makes the '90s music scene "unique", the '90s g funk and '00s crunk sound is even more original than grunge. ;D I guess perception really does make reality.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/11/11 at 2:27 am

I would listen to some other grunge bands.  :o Nirvana is good but really they're overrated. Try some Alice in Chains and Soundgarden, and some other alternative bands like Smashing Pumpkins and Garbage. It's not really surprising that I like grunge since I grew up with post-grunge in my teens and grunge is just the original (better) version of that. My music taste has grunge, teen pop and hip-hop influences very much a product of when I got into music in the late '90s-early 2000s. I don't really like emo because all the male emo singers sound (and look) like girls to me and if I want to listen to girls...I'll listen to actual girls.  :D

Written By: 80sfan on 07/11/11 at 2:36 am

I hated Grunge, as it was mostly guys with deep voices that sounded like they were on suicide row.  I love a good song with loud guitars, but I found Grunge music quite depressing at times.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kurt Cobain was depressed. I like him and his music, but I'm just sayin'.

Written By: joeman on 07/11/11 at 9:03 am

I wouldn't be surprised if Kurt Cobain was depressed. I like him and his music, but I'm just sayin'.

He was depressed though...he was always talking about how he has a pain in his stomach and was a big heroin junkie.

Written By: Creeder on 07/11/11 at 5:15 pm

Not back then, but I listen to grunge since 2009.

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/11/11 at 7:59 pm

The fact that he blew his brains out is a big clue  :o

Written By: Davester on 07/13/11 at 3:37 am

I liked some alternative rock at that time, the popular radio friendly stuff, which would later be called grunge.  I don't even think grunge bands referred to their work as grunge...

Hmm...come to think of it radio friendly alternative rock is a contradiction in terms, right..?

But grunge in the early '90s?  Never heard of it.  I just considered all of it hard rock...

Written By: gmann on 07/13/11 at 4:50 am

Listened to a bit of Nirvana and Mudhoney in those days, but I was mostly into punk/new wave/indie rock from the 70's and 80's. Maxwell, I think I may be your long lost cousin.  ;)

Written By: wsmith4 on 07/26/11 at 8:57 am

I have a grudge against grunge.  Sometimes there isn't enough time in the day to listen to Nirvana, but I hate Kurt Cobain.

Check for new replies or respond here...