inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did Eurodance die out in the US?

Written By: SpaceHog on 07/23/11 at 12:35 am

I personally think it occurred in 1997 because the last Eurodance song I can remember is Rhythm of Love by DJ Company. I remember the song was immensely popular in mid to late 1997 and then faded away into obscurity.

Subject: Re: When did Eurodance die out in the US?

Written By: whistledog on 07/23/11 at 12:50 am

Rhythm of Love was 1995.

I'd say by 2000 or 2001, as one of the last groups i recall that brought Eurodance to the table were Vengaboys, whose best was still 'Sha La Lalala' from 2000.  This song in particular was a Top 10 hit in the Netherlands (their homeland) and both the UK and Canada.  Though it never saw the US Hot 100, I can only assume it did something in the US dance chart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obi4iELWJ3Y

Written By: SpaceHog on 07/23/11 at 1:14 am

I could have sworn it was 1997. Joel Whitburn's Top Pop Singles says it was released on 6/14/1997 and peaked at #53.

Written By: whistledog on 07/23/11 at 2:02 am

I could have sworn it was 1997. Joel Whitburn's Top Pop Singles says it was released on 6/14/1997 and peaked at #53.

The CD Single I have of it is from 1995, when it was first a club hit.  The parent album 'Rhythm of Love' was not released until 1997, so I gather that #53 US Hot 100 peak was from a re-release to promote the album.

Written By: Emman on 07/23/11 at 8:03 am

I remember eurodance-ish(more '00s trance oriented) music being fairly popular until 2002/2003(Kylie Minogue, Heaven by DJ Sammy), that's when hip-hop exploded in popularity. There's been a new evolution in euro-ish music(since around 2009) by mixing it with urban/R&B sounds. I think the '90s styled eurodance died around 1999/2000 though.

Written By: tv on 07/25/11 at 12:09 pm

I remember eurodance-ish(more '00s trance oriented) music being fairly popular until 2002/2003(Kylie Minogue, Heaven by DJ Sammy), that's when hip-hop exploded in popularity. There's been a new evolution in euro-ish music(since around 2009) by mixing it with urban/R&B sounds. I think the '90s styled eurodance died around 1999/2000 though.
Yeah I thought the whole euro-dance died in 1997 but from 1999-2002 there will still some euro-dance hits but it was no where near as popular as it was from late 1989-1996.

Yeah it is interesting how the whole dance trend came back in late 2008 with Lady GaGa.

Written By: darkoo on 07/26/11 at 4:24 pm

I'd say say the time A Night At The Roxbury came out in early 1998 it was basically over. However even in the late 00s you had Cascada which is basically the same thing no?

Written By: yistrocri on 07/30/11 at 3:19 pm

I agree that it died sometime during the late 90's 1997-1999, when disco/french house became popular.  With the exceptions of Aqua "Barbie Girl" (1997), Venga Boys "We like to Party", and "Boom Boom Boom" (1999) that genre was dead by the early 00's. 

Written By: 90steen on 08/02/11 at 7:50 pm

I say '98

Written By: Midas on 08/05/11 at 11:54 pm

The answer is subjective.  :D

Eurodance seemed pretty popular in clubs and mixshows in the US 1993-1997 but outside of that it didn't have much of a mainstream life.

Written By: amjikloviet on 08/08/11 at 10:34 am

It was pretty much over by 1998-99, then after that (early 2000s) the genre wasn't as popular.

Written By: preston181 on 08/21/11 at 4:17 am

I blame rap music. The youth of today in the USA don't really have taste in music, and will listen to any crappy rapper, as long as it "bumps" in their car. Electronica, and it's subgenres, (including dance), never really took off here, like it did overseas.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/21/11 at 6:09 pm

By about 1999 or 2000, Eurodance was dead in America, at least for now!

Written By: tnf on 08/22/11 at 12:08 am

Yeah it is interesting how the whole dance trend came back in late 2008 with Lady GaGa.

I don't want to compare it with the old stuff, because of lacking the right feel, basically. Yeah, there are some similar sounds. But it's way more overproduced and less spontaneous than the old eurodance classics. The old eurodance songs sounded way more natural and also more innocent (lyricwise).

Btw, I didn't know it was popular in The States, back in the days (outside of the clubs).

Here in Holland, the classic eurodance died around 1996, except some late hits like Aqua's 'Barbie girl'. In 1997, eurodance changed into eurotrance and commercial clubtrance (mostly without a rapper), starting with Sash!. Acts like Dj Jurgen/Alice Deejay, Milk Inc. and The Vengaboys also brought this new version of eurodance. Around 2002, it changed into tracks like Jan Wayne's Because the night and Dj Sammy & Yanou - Heaven. And the Cascada like music came after that.

Written By: eurodance on 02/22/19 at 9:32 am

Yes in the US die a long time ago but in Europe there is some new era eurodance producing eurodance music in old style from 90s.I already promote that new wave in my blog if some people interested to check it.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 02/22/19 at 7:41 pm

I blame rap music. The youth of today in the USA don't really have taste in music, and will listen to any crappy rapper, as long as it "bumps" in their car. Electronica, and it's subgenres, (including dance), never really took off here, like it did overseas.
People blame rap for everything these days lol. Rap may have monoplized music today but not so much in the early 00s. The early 2000s you still had had pop-punk,  teen pop, R&B, Neo-Soul, Post-Grunge, and Nu-Metal along with rap.  Rap may have been mainstream at the point but it was still avoidable if you didn't enjoy that type of music. I know plenty of people who didn't enjoy rap  but still was satisfied with the newer music of their perspective genre.

Check for new replies or respond here...