inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What Were The Early 90's Like

Written By: Antwuan on 08/01/11 at 9:50 am

Ok I definitely remember what the late 90's were like as far as music Hip-Hop & R&B and culture. I was born in 1989 I remember 1994/1995 and on from a culture stand point because thats when I started school. From a music stand point I remember some R&B from 1996 and on, Hip-Hop I think its strickly 1997 and on. I might remember some Hip-Hop from 1996 im not sure I would have to check but I definitely remember Hip-Hop from 1997 and on. Yea what were the Early 90's like?

Also I want to add that I do remember Nickelodeon in the 90's it was awesome.

Subject: Re: What Were The Early 90's Like

Written By: Emman on 08/01/11 at 11:44 am

Ok I definitely remember what the late 90's were like as far as music Hip-Hop & R&B and culture. I was born in 1989 I remember 1994/1995 and on from a culture stand point because thats when I started school. From a music stand point I remember some R&B from 1996 and on, Hip-Hop I think its strickly 1997 and on. I might remember some Hip-Hop from 1996 im not sure I would have to check but I definitely remember Hip-Hop from 1997 and on. Yea what were the Early 90's like?

Also I want to add that I do remember Nickelodeon in the 90's it was awesome.

From a music standpoint I think the early '90s was full of potential with all the different sounds that were cropping up then, there was house, old school rap, funk-metal, alternative/ college rock R.E.M style, grunge, dancehall, and new jack swing just to name a few. I also get a sort of retro late '60s vibe from alot of the early '90s fashion too, with the big hats, funky hairdos, baggy clothes and more earth tone colors(although there was plenty of bright hypercolor too).

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/01/11 at 7:41 pm

It was also the year of pop music and the pop rock bands.  :)

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 08/01/11 at 9:44 pm

It was half 80's/half 90's.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/01/11 at 9:46 pm

Watch Beverly Hills 90210. It'll give you a good idea of what the early 90s was like....well at least for rich kids in California.  ;D

If you can't relate to the rich kids of Cali then at least you can see how the fashion was in the early 90s. Funky is an understatement!

Written By: joeman on 08/01/11 at 11:07 pm

All right stop collaborate and listen. Ice is back with my brand new invention. Something grabs a hold of me tightly. Flow like a harpoon daily and nightly ...

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/02/11 at 1:53 am

All right stop collaborate and listen. Ice is back with my brand new invention. Something grabs a hold of me tightly. Flow like a harpoon daily and nightly ...

Oh GAWD that was the most obnoxious song I ever heard.  LOL!!

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/02/11 at 8:38 pm

Oh GAWD that was the most obnoxious song I ever heard.  LOL!!

yRiBT7SbSJc

What, you got something against Freddie Mercury and Queen?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/02/11 at 9:22 pm

yRiBT7SbSJc

What, you got something against Freddie Mercury and Queen?

No I wasn't referring to Freddie or Queen.  I was referring to Vanilla Ice.

Written By: nicole1977 on 08/17/11 at 2:02 pm

I can only speak of the early 90s R&B, and it sounded like the new jack swing.

Written By: tnf on 08/22/11 at 12:23 am

I play very frequently music from the late 80s and early 90s (I see 1988-1993 as one period) at my radio station Good Vibrations. It's in my signature, if you are interested. Almost half of the playlist is from that era. And the older or newer stuff has got a feel fitting those tracks, think of Beth Ditto's 'I wrote the book'.

And if you need some fashion (posted before, I know...):

http://www.wwzapper.com/1990-fashion.jpg
http://www.wwzapper.com/1991-fashion.jpg
http://www.wwzapper.com/1992-fashion.jpg
http://www.wwzapper.com/1993-fashion.jpg

Anyway, I get a positive feel when thinking of the late 80s and early 90s. Happy, carefree, inspired. A party mood, With authentic, natural sounding music (not the typical 80s synth pop anymore), lacking todays autotune.

Written By: af2010 on 08/23/11 at 1:53 am

I was born in 1987, so the early 90s seem ancient to me. But my earliest childhood memories are from that era, so its always had a cerain mystique about it, for me at least. I can't speak on the pop culture, but the overall feel just seemed more layed back and simple. But this is coming from someone who was 4-5 at the time...

Written By: m83 on 08/26/11 at 8:38 pm

Where Day-Glo and Earth tones collide!!!

Sort of a mix of 80s and neo-psychedelia. The styles that would dominate the rest of the '90s and most of the 2000s gained their foothold in the 1988-93 era. It was the end of the 8 bit era and also encompassed the 16 bit. IMO by the time the Playstation came out, the early 90s were over and the more ironic, dark late 90s began.

Written By: kitkat1991 on 08/28/11 at 10:24 am

According to my 26 yr old brother the early 90s were colorful.  :)

Written By: bchris02 on 08/28/11 at 7:43 pm

I was born in 1987, so the early 90s seem ancient to me. But my earliest childhood memories are from that era, so its always had a cerain mystique about it, for me at least. I can't speak on the pop culture, but the overall feel just seemed more layed back and simple. But this is coming from someone who was 4-5 at the time...

Was born in 1985 here.  I do have memories of the early '90s but not that much of pop culture.  I do remember when Coke and Coca-Cola were two separate soda's, huge cassette boom boxes, computers with big 5.25" floppy disks, CD players that were the size of a VCR and had to be plugged into a stereo system, etc. 

Written By: Emman on 08/28/11 at 10:02 pm

Was born in 1985 here.  I do have memories of the early '90s but not that much of pop culture.  I do remember when Coke and Coca-Cola were two separate soda's, huge cassette boom boxes, computers with big 5.25" floppy disks, CD players that were the size of a VCR and had to be plugged into a stereo system, etc. 

I was born in 1985 too and I was aware of some of the pop culture in the early '90s like house music, The Simpsons, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles,  and old school rap but wasn't that aware of grunge until 1994-ish.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/28/11 at 10:14 pm

I was born in 1987, I remember somethings from the early '90s. The early '90s of course seem absolutely ancient to me, but that mysteriousness does add to their appeal. I remember I liked collecting toy cars at the time, I must have had a ton and I had this garage thing for them all. I started collecting baseball cards in like 1992, I still remember getting my first set and I still have them today actually. I remember preschool, I remember everybody used to take a nap like in the middle of the day but I was the only one that didn't lol. One thing I can't forget is I remember those weird looking troll dolls were popular then. I remember the Ninja Turtles too. The fashion I kinda remember a little of, a mixture of neon and big hair with some more typical '90s things like overalls.

Written By: af2010 on 08/30/11 at 12:45 am

I was born in 1985 too and I was aware of some of the pop culture in the early '90s like house music, The Simpsons, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles,  and old school rap but wasn't that aware of grunge until 1994-ish.

I remember some of the kid's culture. I had a TMNT themed birthday with the plates and cone hats at chuck e cheese, back when it was showbiz pizza. I remember seeing aladin in theaters. A I actually remember the 92 election because my class "voted" and I voted for clinton because my best friend did. I told my parents (both republican) and I remember them teasing me about it, saying I cost ghw bush the election lol

Written By: JaxRhapsody on 09/01/11 at 2:21 pm

I was born in 88, but I remember the music and the cars and what was on TV. I wish I could go back in time and relive the 90's as I am now. As far as I'm concerned that was the best time. The times were simple, the technology was good enough and simple enough, the internet wasn't so large. It was like a moot point in time between the basicness of the 80's and back but not as advanced, fast paced and the like as now. Had just the right amount of what you needed.

Written By: tnf on 09/03/11 at 1:56 am

I was born in 88, but I remember the music and the cars and what was on TV. I wish I could go back in time and relive the 90's as I am now. As far as I'm concerned that was the best time. The times were simple, the technology was good enough and simple enough, the internet wasn't so large. It was like a moot point in time between the basicness of the 80's and back but not as advanced, fast paced and the like as now. Had just the right amount of what you needed.

Agree with most of that. But I think about 2002-2005 (so a couple of years áfter the 90s), the balance was best. A lot of modern technology, but still simple enough. It was not too much. After that period, technology got more difficult.

And for me personally it's too much, I don't need smartphones and other extremely advanced technology, which makes me feel I'm changing into a human robot (and others too). It's just surplus gear to me. Although I have accepted the 'wi-fi radio', but that's an exception REALLY adding something to my life.

Check for new replies or respond here...