inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Grungw

Written By: Elijah on 08/04/11 at 3:17 pm

I have been watching alot of Grunge videos from the early 90s and finally figured out what it was all about.

I have a feeling that most of these "anti-mainstream" bands were nothing more than smart businessmen who capitalized on the teenage rebel behavior that was and still is prevalent today. Theses kids who look back at grunge and actually believe that the mainstream media killed grunge are lying to theirselves. If Nirvana did not want to become so popular why would they sign with a mainstream record company or just performed in coffee houses or something?

It has been my belief that people use the rebel antimainstream attitude just to become mainstream theirselves. Grunge is just as mainstream as Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga are today.

If people can be smart enough to realize what the "rebel culture" is really about, then that attitude would have died a long time ago.

Grunge was a mainstream culture that 90s teenagers were stupid enough to believe was not mainstream and sending the "real" messages. There is no such thing as anti establishment since those who are so called anti establishment want to be the establishment (hope that did not confuse anyone).

Grunge was one of the precursors to the individualism we have in the world today.

You guys can go ahead and bash me for revealing the truth about "real" music that was just as mainstream as the 80s hair metal that it killed. The "unexpected" popularity of grunge was done on purpose. Reverse psychology at it's finest.

Subject: Re: Grungw

Written By: whistledog on 08/04/11 at 5:29 pm

Is Grungw a form of Grunge Music?

Written By: Jessica on 08/04/11 at 5:32 pm

Sounds Chinese.

Written By: Elijah on 08/04/11 at 5:33 pm

That was a great attempt at being a smart ass, even though it is obvious I made a typo. Try again.

Written By: Tia on 08/04/11 at 5:38 pm

yup. it's like grunge, but unpronounceable. so it rocks more.

i actually like a lot of grunge, although in retrospect it's a bit of the worst of both worlds: the gloominess of heavy metal and hard rock without the instrumental and vocal talent, and the simplicity of pop music without the feel-good vibe and catchy hooks. so it didn't really have a lot of relistening value and i rarely feel a lot of desire to go back and listen to old grunge music. it's too arid and depressing, you kinda had to be in the 90s and feel that gen-x pain of being an angsty teen or 20-something who felt cast adrift and alienated in a booming economy where there didn't seem like very many problems left for young people to solve. (man, how things have changed!) at least that's how i mostly read grunge, it was mostly economically fairly well off suburban kids who had a bit too much time on their hands and went all dreary, lo-fi and morbid. the OP seems to think his/her claim that grunge's counterculture cred was illusory is going to meet with controversy, but i find it not only transparently true but non-provocative. the counterculture claims of rock music are almost always overstated. i'll give cobain a pass, though. he shot himself with a shotgun, so i really don't think nirvana was a cynical attempt to gain popularity by pretending to shun it. if it had been, cobain would have stuck around to reap the rewards of his brilliant scam.

Written By: Tia on 08/04/11 at 5:40 pm

That was a great attempt at being a smart ass, even though it is obvious I made a typo. Try again.
this isn't really a flame-war board, i don't think. there are a lot out there, though, if that's your thing.

Written By: whistledog on 08/04/11 at 9:04 pm

Hey now, I was making a joke.  I apologize if you did not get the joke, or if you were upset by the joke.  But it was a joke, and I joke alot.  Get used to it.

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/04/11 at 10:34 pm

I have a feeling that most of these "anti-mainstream" bands were nothing more than smart businessmen who capitalized on the teenage rebel behavior that was and still is prevalent today. Theses kids who look back at grunge and actually believe that the mainstream media killed grunge are lying to theirselves. If Nirvana did not want to become so popular why would they sign with a mainstream record company or just performed in coffee houses or something?

Naw, we're just busting your chops.  The thing is, you're right.  "Rock and roll" was once a euphemism for sex.  Elvis Presley's "Hound Dog" was a bowdlerization of Willie May "Big Mama" Thornton's original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_nNNIYTy9g

I mean no disrespect to the King, but Elvis was forced to mellow out real rhythm-and-blues for a mainstream (read: "white") audience, and although pop culture pretended that "Elvis the Pelvis"'s hip-gyrations were at the edge of cultural acceptability, the music had been so mellowed-out that it could actually be played on radio of the 50s.

Then this guy Kurt Cobain sings a song called "RHapte Me".  The title may have varied depending on which radio station you had the misfortune of listening to.

As the Talking Heads put it during an intervening generation, "Same as it ever was."

Written By: Matthew Davis on 08/10/11 at 4:14 pm

I was born the year after grunge went huge. it was after nirvana did nevermind, pearl jam did ten,soundgarden. my brother was into it i remember when i was little my brother had long brown hair with jeans with holes on his knee caps, the whole deal and he well crank up all these bands up in his room. All three of these bands created another era of music, i just wish i was around when it all got started. But my point is i love music. And my favorite genre is rock. it doesnt matter what kind, if its grunge or hair metal or just old school rock n roll. i like it all

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/01/12 at 4:06 pm

Is it Grunge with a Western style?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/01/12 at 4:59 pm

I think Wlijah got offended.  ::)

Written By: whistledog on 09/01/12 at 5:38 pm

I think Wlijah got offended.  ::)

;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/01/12 at 6:06 pm

;D

He was a douchw.  ::)

Written By: whistledog on 09/01/12 at 6:37 pm

Yws, hw was

Funny thing, was that hw thought I was attwmpting to bw a smart ass.  Hw was dwfinatwly nww to thw boards lol

Written By: Howard on 09/01/12 at 7:21 pm

And why would he spell Grunge with a "w"?  ::)

Written By: warped on 09/01/12 at 7:49 pm

Yws, hw was

Funny thing, was that hw thought I was attwmpting to bw a smart ass.  Hw was dwfinatwly nww to thw boards lol

Good onw, whistlwdog.

Written By: Inertia on 09/02/12 at 5:00 am

I guwss Wligah fwlt butthurt aftwr rwading Whistlwdog's comment.  8)

Somw pwoplw can't takw a jokw.

Written By: whistledog on 09/03/12 at 6:24 am

I guwss Wligah fwlt butthurt aftwr rwading Whistlwdog's comment.  8)

Somw pwoplw can't takw a jokw.

Wlijah was right about somwthing.  Grungw music is grwat!

Grungw FTW!

Written By: Inertia on 09/03/12 at 9:02 am

Wlijah was right about somwthing.  Grungw music is grwat!

Grungw FTW!

Indwwd. :]

All your basw arw bwlong to Grungw.

Check for new replies or respond here...