inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: which music format was more popular in the 90s?

Written By: augura on 08/23/11 at 1:44 pm

cassettes or cds?

Subject: Re: which music format was more popular in the 90s?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/23/11 at 1:47 pm

cassettes or cds?
It depended on the availability of money.

Written By: amjikloviet on 08/23/11 at 1:51 pm

I would have to say both. I listened to cassettes in the early 90s then in the mid to late 90s I preferred CDs because the sound quality was better but still listened to cassettes too.

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/24/11 at 8:17 am

Definately the CD. Over the course of the '90s, cassette usage gradually declined; first on home systems, then on portable music players, and finally in automobiles. People often seem to equate a different musical format with a different decade. 50s= 45 single 60s= 33 album 70s= 8 track tape 80s= cassette 90s= CD 00s= MP3 player 10s= Smartphone/cloud streaming

You have to be at least 25 or so to understand the superiority of CDs compared to newer formats. Heck, a CD today looks about as "old school" as an 8-track tape was in the '90s!

Written By: Tompiff on 08/26/11 at 12:07 pm

I think cassettes, because when my family would buy me albums in the late 90s, it was mostly cassette, i was excited to get CD during the time though. when 1999 came around it was all CD from then on. 1998 was the last full year I got cassettes, for me at least. I was born in 1994 by the way. being a kid in the late 90s was epic, sometimes I wish I was a kid during the early 90s, but oh well, because the late 90s were so epic, sometimes I wish I could rewind time.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 08/26/11 at 12:44 pm

http://english.mashkulture.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/30years1.gif

Written By: amjikloviet on 08/26/11 at 3:35 pm

I think cassettes, because when my family would buy me albums in the late 90s, it was mostly cassette, i was excited to get CD during the time though. when 1999 came around it was all CD from then on. 1998 was the last full year I got cassettes, for me at least. I was born in 1994 by the way. being a kid in the late 90s was epic, sometimes I wish I was a kid during the early 90s, but oh well, because the late 90s were so epic, sometimes I wish I could rewind time.

I remember cassette singles those were fun to get! And then later CD singles were even better.

Written By: m83 on 08/26/11 at 8:34 pm

According to that chart, it was right around 1990 or 1991 when CDs became the clear winner. However, I would guess by 1987-88 it was already fairly obvious the cassette's days were soon to be numbered.

Written By: m83 on 08/26/11 at 8:47 pm

another thing I noticed - LPs are selling the best they have since the early '90s now, and are continuing to increase! the fact 1% of all sales are vinyl is really impressive considering the format was usurped 25 years ago.

Check for new replies or respond here...