inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Walkie Talkies?

Written By: brwneydpdangl on 08/31/11 at 11:40 pm

Is anyone familiar with old walkie talkie? Not sure if they were made in the 90s or earlier. My sister and I used to play with them as toys but not sure if they were toys. They were gray with black antennas. One had a white tipped antenna and the other had and orange tip. It had the moris(sp.) code type thing on the bottom. I've been looking for pictures but had no luck.

Subject: Re: Walkie Talkies?

Written By: King Tut on 08/31/11 at 11:43 pm

Is it this?
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Vintage-GE-Walkie-Talkies-Morse-Starcode-Toys-70s-EUC-/00/$(KGrHqQOKp0E1rB!+i)lBNp5V3s8T!~~_35.JPG

Found it on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-GE-Walkie-Talkies-Morse-Starcode-Toys-70s-EUC-/180654079122?_trksid=m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D50%26pmod%3D120717697263%26ps%3D50

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/01/11 at 11:16 pm

Is anyone familiar with old walkie talkie? Not sure if they were made in the 90s or earlier. My sister and I used to play with them as toys but not sure if they were toys. They were gray with black antennas. One had a white tipped antenna and the other had and orange tip. It had the moris(sp.) code type thing on the bottom. I've been looking for pictures but had no luck.

Morse code, but yeah, they existed.  Still do. 

The exact model you're after is going to be a tough find, but they predate the 80s.  In addition to being able to tell a friend where I was (within a mile or so!) in the pre-wireless phone era, we used to hear transmissions between the local pizza shop and its single driver all the time back in the late 70s.

Written By: brwneydpdangl on 09/05/11 at 9:33 pm

I think those might be the same walkie talkies. Kind of been awhile. Same color and same antennas. Top part I remember the same but fuzzy on the morse code area. Same orange button for it though. Only thing I cant remember is the power button or switch. They could be it though.

Written By: brwneydpdangl on 09/05/11 at 9:46 pm

I don't ever remember getting other frequencys on the walkie talkies but I know they used to screech like crazy when you got them too close together.
Only time I had to worry about walkie talkies and other frequencys was when I got older and my younger female cousin got walkies for chirstmas. We live 5 minutes from a ski resort and she started to play nasty with some boy on the slopes. She almost got herself in trouble since he claimed his dad or uncle was a police officer. I took the walkies from her and told him I was sorry for the inconvience but she is just a kid she doesn't understand what she was doing was wrong. She just thought it was funny. I told her parents and they really didn't do anything which is a shame. But she will learn on her own one day when what she does she needs to take more seriously. That not everything is all fun and games.
I think these were safer for kids because of not tapping into other frequencys. Athough back then they might not have been used as often so I never would have had that problem. I had them back in the early 90s.

Written By: King Tut on 09/05/11 at 10:07 pm

The walkie talkies I had were much older, I'd have to check with my brother if he remembers that kind of stuff, but I got them in 1968 ish.

I think those might be the same walkie talkies. Kind of been awhile. Same color and same antennas. Top part I remember the same but fuzzy on the morse code area. Same orange button for it though. Only thing I cant remember is the power button or switch. They could be it though.

From your description, it might be those.

Written By: brwneydpdangl on 09/08/11 at 7:54 pm

Yes they are. Im very positive they are.

Written By: King Tut on 09/08/11 at 7:59 pm

Yes they are. Im very positive they are.

Gonna buy them? Or just looking for a picture.

Written By: brwneydpdangl on 09/18/11 at 11:28 pm

I guess just looking for a picture. Also I wanted to find out if they actually were meant for kids or all ages. They sound usable to all ages. I wonder what ever happened to ours.

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/20/11 at 8:46 pm

I guess just looking for a picture. Also I wanted to find out if they actually were meant for kids or all ages. They sound usable to all ages. I wonder what ever happened to ours.

Yes, the walkie-talkie has grown up over the years.  The frequency band and amplification method used varies every decade or so.  Most of us grew up with 27MHz AM on the CB band limited to 100mW, it later moved over to 49MHz FM and shared spectrum with devices such as baby monitors and cordless landlines.  

The current version (late-90s to present) of the walkie-talkie is the FRS ("Family Radio Service") with a few channels in the UHF band - in the US, around 462-467 MHz and with powers up to about 0.5W.  While very usable by children, they're also used in large warehouses, or (as long as you have a navigator or the driver has a suitable hands-free setup) small gatherings of drivers, geocachers, or hikers in situations where everyone's within a mile or two of each other.

Check for new replies or respond here...