inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are the 90s overrated?

Written By: 00s_teen on 09/04/11 at 7:23 am

I mean sure, some things were cool back then (no terrorism, peace, some nice hits, some cool movies, and a lot of great kid shows/cartoons), but they also had a ton of cheesy crap like artists trying to sound very 'concerned', political and stuff. And all that faux-60s peace signs everywhere, it was pathetic. The most crappy stuff were the repetitive Eurodance songs, that now are so overrated and loved by everyone. Face it - most of them had simplistic melodies, repetitive rhytms, and even more repetitive lyrics. Not only that, but most of them sounded alike. And yes, people had mobile phones and the Internet, but they were still underdeveloped and to be honest, quite crappy.

For me the 90s is one of the most overrated deacade. I don't like them that much, unlike other 90s kids (I was born in 1988 btw). I feel that the 80s must have been way cooler and there were a lot more trends going on at the same time than in the 90s. Sure, the 80s themselves are overrated, but still, I think they're overall cooler than the 90s. Heck, even the early/mid 00s (2001-2005) were cooler in my opinion than the 90s pop jusic-wise. Why are all of a sudden the 90s cool again? It's niot like they were cooler than the 2001-2005 music-, movies-, and fashion-wise? Sure, there was no 9/11, but why are people looking at the 90s with rose-tinted glasses?

Subject: Re: Are the 90s overrated?

Written By: 00s_teen on 09/04/11 at 8:43 am

I'm sorry you feel insulted, but the 90s ARE overrated by the media and society, face it. I don't think 2000-2005 will ever be considered cool like the 90s are now. And nobody will ever be nostalgic for that time. 2000 and 2001 were like the late 90s, while late 2001 was tragic. And 2002-2005 are usually overshadowed by 2001. Because 9/11 casts its shadow over that period, but it gave us some cool music and movies. And people dressed way better then than in the 90s or now.

Written By: amjikloviet on 09/04/11 at 1:01 pm

Hm I think I sort of understand what you're trying to say. I personally don't feel insulted, why would I? And no, I don't think the 90s are overrated at all. Could you be more specific and tell us how and where 90s culture is overrated by society and the media because I just don't see it  :( 

Written By: Davester on 09/04/11 at 1:53 pm

Could you be more specific and tell us how and where 90s culture is overrated by society and the media because I just don't see it  :( 

Neither overrated nor underrated...just rated.  Generally, my negative opinion of that decade is softening a bit...well, 'cept for NAFTA and For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge...

Written By: joeman on 09/04/11 at 3:37 pm

Neither overrated nor underrated...just rated.  Generally, my negative opinion of that decade is softening a bit...well, 'cept for NAFTA and For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge...

Warning, language!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4Sh2G1Adps

Written By: Shiv on 09/04/11 at 7:50 pm

I think the 90s come off as "overrated" because the 90s were the time of childhood for Gen Y, and for some reason Gen Y makes a huge deal over childhood nostalgia (I'm a Gen Y'er btw).

Written By: Mat1991 on 09/04/11 at 8:12 pm

Every decade gets overrated in retrograde. It's like how a lot of old people have nostalgia for the 1950s and speak of it as if it was a "golden age" in American history. Personally, I wouldn't want to have lived in that decade, I guess because I'm so spoiled by modern-day luxuries.

I think the '90s are a bit overrated to an extent, but I don't really remember much about the '90s, anyway.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/04/11 at 11:49 pm

To an extent, obviously it wasn't all roses. But I really do think the '90s were better than the 21st century so far and I didn't hate 2000-2005 at all. I'm old enough to remember some of the bad things in the '90s (like the Oklahoma City Bombing, Columbine) even though I was just a kid but the big things were the much better economy (mid-late '90s), much more positive attitudes (people felt good about the future of america in the '90s, not so much now), low gas prices obviously. For kids we had some great intelligent kids programming (Rocko's Modern Life, Doug, Ren and Stimpy, Rugrats, etc.), that we can actually go back and watch now as adults and still enjoy it. Are today's kids gonna wanna watch iCarly or whatever when they're 25? I kinda doubt it. The '90s shaped me a lot of ways, especially in the sense of my interest in technology which I grew up with from an early age in the '90s. Do I miss the '90s of course, I was a kid with no worries and I had it pretty darn good. I love most '90s music, there were some kinda crappy hits but there were good songs then. I like earlier '00s also just like you. Unlike some others here I'm not that big on 1990-1991 music it's so corny to me, but 1992-1999 really is all good to me. I like both pop/hip-hop kind of stuff and grunge/alternative. Nirvana and Pearl Jam kick ass and so did TLC and Christina Aguilera back in the day. And Aaliyah is one of my favorite artists of all time.  8)

Check for new replies or respond here...