inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dark Year?

Written By: Antwuan on 09/10/11 at 5:18 am

What does it actually mean when someone says a year was dark?

Life for an example if someone said 1995 was a dark year what do they mean by that?

Subject: Re: Dark Year?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/10/11 at 6:37 am

In J. R. R. Tolkien's legendarium, the Dark Years is a term used in The Lord of the Rings for the time of Sauron's great and almost undisputed domination of Middle-earth, during which many peoples were enslaved or corrupted. It was also referred to as the Accursed Years, the Black Years, the Days of Flight, and the Dark Days. In the story, this period lasted from ca. SA 1693 to 3441, when Sauron was overthrown by the Last Alliance of Elves and Men. During this period, Sauron built the Barad-dûr, forged the Rings of Power, and fought the War of the Elves and Sauron.

Written By: Mat1991 on 09/10/11 at 8:57 am

It typically refers to the pop culture and current events of that particular year. Pop culture-wise, it would emphasize gloomy and macabre aspects of society and of the human psyche (gangsta rap would be one example); current event-wise, it could refer to a number of tragic or generally bad events taking place, such as terrorist acts (the Oklahoma City bombing happened in 1995), ecomonic failure, or natural disasters. I'm speaking in general terms, by the way. I'm not sure if 1995 was truly as "dark" as you've heard other people say it was.

One example would be the 1930s, when the general outlook of the population was gloomy and pessimistic because of the economic depression.

Written By: whistledog on 09/10/11 at 8:47 pm

It refers to a Lunar Eclipse :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/11/11 at 3:31 am

The Spice Girls were formed in 1994, signed to Virgin Records and released their debut single "Wannabe" in 1996. The group began a relationship with Simon Fuller and finally signed with him in March 1995. Yes very dark for pop culture.

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/12/11 at 7:38 pm

1997 was a Dark Year for me.

Alternative Rock was fading for Boy/Girl Bands, Sega got out of the Console Game, SatAM Cartoons went away, it just seems that 1997 was just a bad year for me at the time.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/13/11 at 3:05 am

1997 was a Dark Year for me.

Alternative Rock was fading for Boy/Girl Bands, Sega got out of the Console Game, SatAM Cartoons went away, it just seems that 1997 was just a bad year for me at the time.

It was a good year for me personally. I'm sorry it wasn't your favorite year.

A bad year for me or 'dark' as some would call it, would be 2009. Ugh! What a terrible year for me!

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/13/11 at 2:51 pm

It was a good year for me personally. I'm sorry it wasn't your favorite year.

A bad year for me or 'dark' as some would call it, would be 2009. Ugh! What a terrible year for me!

I agree, 2009 didn't agree with me...neither did 2010. (Those years were darker for me than 1997)!

Luckily things are brighter this year...I'm getting SSDI and going to school as well as working.

Check for new replies or respond here...