inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Early flip phones are already considered vintage?

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/15/11 at 12:33 pm

Don't call me crazy, but I found that this seller on eBay is describing this Nokia 6162i flip phone as ANTIQUE, and it isn't really that old yet! Given how much mobile technology has changed in the last 20 years, it's not surprising how bygone it looks compared to what has come out recently.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nokia-6162i-TDMA-AT-T-Old-Original-Antique-First-Generation-Flip-Phone-/150670954128?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item2314b04e90

Personally, I'll NEVER consider anything with a full "PQRS" instead of just "PRS" as vintage, let alone antique! It just doesn't feel escapist and nostalgic to me. It can't be any older than around 1991 or so.

Subject: Re: Early flip phones are already considered vintage?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/16/11 at 12:51 am

I used one up until last month!

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 10/16/11 at 1:40 am

it should be officially vintage in few years but OMG!!! i have not seen those kind of phones roaming around anywhere for 10 years

Written By: Brian06 on 10/16/11 at 1:46 am

Yeah that's probably I would guess a late '90s era phone. I had phones like that in the late '90s to early '00s. Idk if I'd call that "antique", but I'd say that's vintage technology now. Phones like that are completely primitive compared to today's mobile technology.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/16/11 at 6:09 am

I still have, and use, one

Written By: danootaandme on 10/16/11 at 6:11 am

Just a side note, It seems the word "antique" is used as a substitute for the word "used" or the words "second hand".  Some people don't know the difference.

Check for new replies or respond here...