inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who misses when Mariah Carey was a chesnut over the airwaves?

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/18/11 at 1:47 pm

Mariah Carey, having at least one #1 single every year of the '90s, not surprisingly was a staple in airwaves in many locations, due to many of her songs being acceptable at multiple venues- home stereo systems, parties, commercial PA systems, the media, and more. Spend a day in a shopping mall in the '90s and you'll be lucky if you don't hear at least one of her songs on one of the PA systems. Nowadays, she's considered "too old" and "out of touch" with what's current, even if Adele harkens a bit back to early Mariah Carey. People like to crave about Nirvana, Pearl Jam, TuPac, Jay-Z, and other "young people's music", but not the more multigeneration music that Mariah had released, along with the fact that in the US, she was the best selling artist of that decade. Of course there are some fanboards, but who misses when she was a staple? Hearing one of her '90s songs can make me feel like a kid again if I hear it outside of my personal music collection. Considering how huge she was in the '90s, I don't hear as much replay as I do with other big artists of past decades (Beatles, Elton John, Michael Jackson to a degree).

Subject: Re: Who misses when Mariah Carey was a chesnut over the airwaves?

Written By: tnf on 10/19/11 at 12:13 am

I don't like most of her stuff released after Music Box, but a couple of more songs of the same level and in the same style as the early Mariah Carey would be nice. At least she could sing, without obvious auto-tune and such stuff.

I'm not really into middle of the road music, but there's nothing wrong with songs like Vision of love, Emotions, I'll be there (unplugged) and Make it happen. Within that style of music, it was top notch. :)

Written By: 80sfan on 10/19/11 at 6:59 am

Man, I remember she was EVERYWHERE in the 90s!

I liked her for most of her career until about 2003.

Written By: whistledog on 10/19/11 at 7:33 am

I used to dream my nuts were on her chest :D

Written By: 80sfan on 10/19/11 at 10:44 am

I used to dream my nuts were on her chest :D

;D

Written By: Brian06 on 10/22/11 at 9:51 pm

I like Mariah she's got a good voice and is hot.  ;D I liked her music up to and including her "comeback" in 2005 then I think she kinda lost it after it after that. Her '90s stuff was best, I liked songs like "Fantasy" and "Honey".

Written By: wagonman76 on 01/23/12 at 8:15 pm

I don't like most of her stuff released after Music Box, but a couple of more songs of the same level and in the same style as the early Mariah Carey would be nice. At least she could sing, without obvious auto-tune and such stuff.

I'm not really into middle of the road music, but there's nothing wrong with songs like Vision of love, Emotions, I'll be there (unplugged) and Make it happen. Within that style of music, it was top notch. :)

I'm with you here.  I absolutely loved Mariah back in her days of innocence.  Vision Of Love, Emotions, Unplugged.  Music Box was ok.  After that it seems she cashed in on being a sex symbol, and I never liked her after that.  I heard it was her coming out after divorcing Tommy Mottola, but geez.

Written By: Howard on 01/24/12 at 6:25 am

I used to like Mariah Carey back in her days when her music was good 1990-1995.

Written By: Louise1978 on 01/25/12 at 11:45 pm

I was a huge Mariah fan back in the 90's.I loved her earlier music.Her music now is okay,but she was best in the 90's.

Check for new replies or respond here...