inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Not sure if it was a toy but hoping someone could please help.

Written By: brwneydpdangl on 11/15/11 at 12:22 am

I will try to describe it as best as I can. My sister and I used to have these metal toys. When I saw a As Seen On Tv commerical about a new strainer I thought about this toy. The way the strainer is put together on the bottom and closes up is how the toy way. You could unfold it and it looked like it could hold something cylindrical in it. It folds flat and looks kinda like a fancy flat bracelet. I have been trying and trying to find what it is called. I used to love to fold it and unfold it. Even that kinda kept me entertained for awhile. Hopefully someone could understand what I described. I don't know how else to describe it. I remember what it looks like. I have the picture in my head but so hard to describe. I don't remember if it was a toy or was for a certain purpose.

Also another completely different thing. I remember a ball you can pull on and it expands into a bigger ball. I think you were able to make them with Knex. They were plastic and multi-colored. I remember a GIAGANTIC one when I went hiking on The Appalacian Trail here in Pennsylvania. They had it hanging from the ceiling and they had some machine expanding it and contracting it. It was cool. But I knew they made much smaller versions I just never knew the name of them.

If anyone could help I thank you so much.

Subject: Re: Not sure if it was a toy but hoping someone could please help.

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/15/11 at 8:58 pm

I will try to describe it as best as I can. My sister and I used to have these metal toys. When I saw a As Seen On Tv commerical about a new strainer I thought about this toy. The way the strainer is put together on the bottom and closes up is how the toy way. You could unfold it and it looked like it could hold something cylindrical in it. It folds flat and looks kinda like a fancy flat bracelet. I have been trying and trying to find what it is called. I used to love to fold it and unfold it. Even that kinda kept me entertained for awhile. Hopefully someone could understand what I described. I don't know how else to describe it. I remember what it looks like. I have the picture in my head but so hard to describe. I don't remember if it was a toy or was for a certain purpose.

Also another completely different thing. I remember a ball you can pull on and it expands into a bigger ball. I think you were able to make them with Knex. They were plastic and multi-colored. I remember a GIAGANTIC one when I went hiking on The Appalacian Trail here in Pennsylvania. They had it hanging from the ceiling and they had some machine expanding it and contracting it. It was cool. But I knew they made much smaller versions I just never knew the name of them.

Not sure about the first item, but the second sounds a lot like the Hoberman sphere. If it's not a Hoberman Sphere, I also found this sphere out of K'nex that collapses into a circle

Written By: brwneydpdangl on 11/15/11 at 9:22 pm

Not sure about the first item, but the second sounds a lot like the Hoberman sphere. If it's not a Hoberman Sphere, I also found this sphere out of K'nex that collapses into a circle

Hoberman sphere is what I was looking for thank you.
I was trying to draw the first one on a piece of paper last night. But I am no artisit and hard to remember how it was put together. It was definately made of wires. May be a few beads here and there. I was thinking if I can remember how its designed then I can draw it and post it here and hopefully someone would know what it is. My drawing looks terrible though. lol

Written By: brwneydpdangl on 11/15/11 at 9:48 pm

This is the strainer on tv I was talking about. Its called a Chef Basket.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g265/trickynickie/Miscellaneous/chef_basket.jpg

Written By: brwneydpdangl on 11/15/11 at 9:51 pm

This is the strainer on tv I was talking about. Its called a Chef Basket.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g265/trickynickie/Miscellaneous/chef_basket.jpg

The thing I am looking for is put together very very similar to this. Folds flat like the chef basket does too. The way the metal or stainless steal is linked together so it can collaspe flat is how the thing I am looking for is.  I am not sure what year it was made but my sis and I had them in the 1990s.

Written By: lorac61469 on 11/16/11 at 10:32 am

I know exactly what you're talking about.  I just saw one a couple of weeks ago in a place called Mast General Store in North Carolina...I can not remember the name but I'm trying.

Written By: lorac61469 on 11/16/11 at 10:40 am

It's called Flexi Sphere (sometimes Magic Loops)...

http://www.kidstravelhappy.com/v/vspfiles/photos/SC-FO-2T.jpg

Written By: brwneydpdangl on 11/16/11 at 11:40 am

It's called Flexi Sphere (sometimes Magic Loops)...

http://www.kidstravelhappy.com/v/vspfiles/photos/SC-FO-2T.jpg

Thank You so much! That is exactly what I was looking for. lol I think my sis used to think she could put it around a soda can to make it look pretty.

Written By: brwneydpdangl on 11/16/11 at 11:58 am

Thank You so much! That is exactly what I was looking for. lol I think my sis used to think she could put it around a soda can to make it look pretty.

I always had a gut feeling it was something scientific. I was always facinated by science.

Check for new replies or respond here...