inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: AOL

Written By: wsmith4 on 11/21/11 at 12:04 pm

Right now I'm totally missing AOL in it's early, hugely popular days.  I miss the chat rooms, the "you've got mail" message, Everything about it!  Would I ever want to go back to Dialup?  No way.  But I sure would love to see this program in action again.  Does anyone know if there is any way to get it work with today's systems?  I remember when Rosie O'Donnell had a talk show, her chat room was always so active and so much fun.  And you had all the Keywords... like Keyword:Madonna :)  I also remember being part of an Evita mailing list, how I miss seeing all those emails in my inbox with new messages... ahh, the mid to late 90's.

Subject: Re: AOL

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/21/11 at 12:24 pm

In a way, I miss the chat rooms (especially the quizzes) too, it was my "entertainment" when I first started on the Internet, but there was one problem I always notice, being based in the UK, all was fine and dandy in the morning, but around 2pm (in the UK) all would go slow, and I reckon it was down to America waking up for it would be 9am in New York.

I always called the service Always Off Line.

Written By: nally on 11/21/11 at 2:01 pm

I still use AOL, but for mail only. My mom began using it in 1999 at her work, where it was all about dial-up. We used it at home, too...but eventually upgraded to DSL for our internet connection.

Written By: whistledog on 11/21/11 at 7:02 pm

My grandpap always called it "Owl" pronouncing it like it almost reads lol

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/21/11 at 8:38 pm

My grandpap always called it "Owl" pronouncing it like it almost reads lol

Now you've done it.  Reminded me of the debate between people who pronounce "URL" as "Earl" versus "Ewe-Arr-Ell".

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/22/11 at 1:14 am

I do miss dial-up days.  Back then you felt like you actually achieved something just by getting online.  Now if your browser doesn't appear within three seconds after you click the icon, you say, "Hey, WTF, this isn't right, this isn't fair!"

Is there an online version of Black Flag's "TV Party"?

"Hey wait a minute, my Internet doesn't work!  It's broken!

No..
FACEBOOK

No...
YOUTUBE

No...
GMAIL

No...
TWITTER

:-\\

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/22/11 at 1:57 am

Is there an online version of Black Flag's "TV Party"?

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u234/DarthKiljoy/1200433684335.jpg

But don't go there, 'cuz it's gross.

Written By: yelimsexa on 11/23/11 at 7:32 am

I miss the scripty "Online" font that they used back then; it's just so classic looking back at it now. I enjoyed their '90s interface more with all those rectanglular-shaped buttons arranged in rows/columns. One thing I don't miss is when they sent out a CD for each new version that came out claiming that 30 hours were free! (That was a lot at the time, but we first used Netzero when it was actually free as our first Internet server.) I first used the Internet in 1996 in school and got it home in 1999. I can't believe for myself it's been 15 years already since I first log on as my fading childhood pre-Internet memories continue to get more recessive and harder to recall as more signs of the times gets plastered onto the classics; I practically have to go to an antique store nowadays to get a slice of what my pre-Internet childhood was like (mixed with my parents and grandparents!) But I'll always remember the slogan "So easy to use, no wonder it's #1", as it was preserved on Nickelodeon Gas reruns as recently as 2007 on some of the shows they reran.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/25/11 at 12:55 pm

Yeah I have some nostalgia for those days too, everytime you signed up was actually kind of exciting hearing all those dialup sounds lol and like entering a new world. I remember when each page took almost like a minute to download, now on my 18 Mbps broadband they just load practically instantly. Now with our persistent broadband connections the internet is just always there.

Written By: wagonman76 on 01/23/12 at 8:10 pm

I'm STILL stuck on dialup here.  I tried getting cable but they refused installation even though I have one of their service boxes in my front yard.  Wireless is unavailable and satellite costs too much and is unreliable with Michigan weather anyway.  But it's even worse dialup than before, because the phone lines were better back then.  Nowadays connecting at 26400 is a good day.  Back in the day I used to pulll 30s and 40s all the time.  My pickins are very limited now.  I can't do youtube, or a lot of other sites.  Thankfully I can still do this one.

But I do miss the good old days of internet, when we were all on the same page and everything was accessible.  I messed around a little in college in 94-96, and got my first computer in 97.  So many chatrooms, I would spend hours.  So many little freeware utilities on Simtel Net to make my 386 SX/33 go (or seem) just a little bit faster.  I still have a little drawer full of floppies with all that stuff.  I also still have that old computer in the back of the closet.  I never had AOL, but I had Eudora email and I miss the little chime when I would get mail.  I could also set the chime to the AOL sound clip "You've Got Mail" if I wanted.  Nowadays it takes too long to download it all so I just use webmail.

Chatrooms actually taught me to type.  I had typing in high school and could TYPE, but even through college the only way I could get my thoughts out was with paper and pencil.  I'd have to write a report then type it later.  It was the chatroom that finally enabled me to link my mind to my fingers, and without that, I'd never be able to do the job that I do today.

Written By: JaxRhapsody on 02/03/12 at 11:10 pm

We had msn dialup, which sometimes I swear is better than the ATT broadband or whatever it is we have. Plus I liked the dialup sound. I never had AOL but, I'm so happy to not be getting their weekly new version. I still have a few of them around here somewhere. Some came in real nice casses though.

Written By: Slim on 02/05/12 at 5:02 pm

I don't remember AOL in the 90s since i was only born in' 91, but i do remember AOL being really popular in the early 00s. We had dial up and  i used to love going in the chat rooms and hearing "you got mail!" Or "goodbye", we also had MSN dial up. I miss those days. I don't know anyone these days that cares for AOL or even goes into chatrooms, it's all about facebook and twitter.

Written By: Howard on 02/06/12 at 6:51 am

I don't remember AOL in the 90s since i was only born in' 91, but i do remember AOL being really popular in the early 00s. We had dial up and  i used to love going in the chat rooms and hearing "you got mail!" Or "goodbye", we also had MSN dial up. I miss those days. I don't know anyone these days that cares for AOL or even goes into chatrooms, it's all about facebook and twitter.

AOL was annoying sometimes especially with the dial-up part just waiting and waiting to get on-line.

Written By: Slim on 02/06/12 at 7:47 pm

yeah i know lol, i remember my mom used to yell at me because she needed to use the phone and all she heard was the dial up sound lol.

Written By: Slim on 02/06/12 at 7:48 pm

AOL was annoying sometimes especially with the dial-up part just waiting and waiting to get on-line.

yeah i know lol, i remember my mom used to yell at me because she needed to use the phone and all she heard was the dial up sound lol.

Written By: Howard on 02/07/12 at 6:38 am

that's why you had to wait for someone to get off the damn phone!  ::)

Written By: nally on 02/07/12 at 6:18 pm

that's why you had to wait for someone to get off the damn phone!  ::)

So true! That's how it was when we first went online at home. And then they kept upgrading it...

Written By: wsmith4 on 02/08/12 at 7:42 am

It took forever to get online.

Uh oh! You just said that on page 1

Check for new replies or respond here...