inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why are you a '90s fan?

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/10/12 at 7:47 am

Over at the site inthe80s.com, there is a large section of over 100 pages describing why various people are fans of the '80s. Since inthe90s.com lacks this feature and since it's been about a decade since that section on the '80s site was launched, now I feel it's the '90s turn, especially considering I read an article yesterday that "the World Wide Web is old technology now and apps are the future", which is the first time I felt that the '90s are now truly a bygone era (though they still have a good influence on today's society, unlike the '80s and earlier). I would really like to encourage people to explain why they love the '90s!

Subject: Re: Why are you a '90s fan?

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 01/13/12 at 5:17 am

1990s define a change into modern world. The first true decade of globalisation everywhere around the world. The time of great change in attitudes and social as a global society. The modern technology we have today are initially born or started to be mass produced in the 1990s yet the 1990s still retain it's old world's feeling. This is truly the last decade (until the early 00s) where any conventionalities of society still exists before the radical changes brought by the next generation (the baby boomers had made their way to this).

fall of communism, the modern warfare against middle east are some of the things to mention (political wise)

Culture of the 1990s are exploding in creativity. Brand new ideas about fashion and songs. Greatest rebelion of the youth culture since the 1960s as well as being the tail end of a millenia and a century that shaped planet earth significantly

Written By: Shiv on 01/13/12 at 10:19 pm

It was the last decade of intergrity, before the whole "whatever sells" mentality thats existed from the 00s onward.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/14/12 at 12:01 am

First decade I remember, last decade of the 20th century. I remember a lot of things that would become dominant things in the 21st century, had their initial explosion in the '90s (internet, cell phones, digital cameras, even HDTV first came up in the '90s...but the '90s was still mostly dominated by older 20th century tech in retrospect). I remember all that stuff coming up as a kid and the older stuff (VCRs, cassettes, etc.) that preceded it. The '90s were the crossroads of the 20th and 21st centuries. It really seems like America peaked right around the turn of the century and things haven't been as great since...but it could still get better. Born in 1987, I consider myself among the youngest to remember the final days of the great century that was the 20th century. But yeah I hold the '90s in pretty high regard. I remember how far off 2001 (when I would start high school) seemed in 1997. I have a few old elementary/middle school friends on Facebook, a decent amount of them are married now, it's a bit surreal when you remember them as 10/11 year olds in '97 and now you're talking 25/26 year olds with kids already. It shows just how old the '90s are getting. When I first came to this site I was just a 16/17 year old and the '90s still kinda seemed like "yesterday" now that even the children of the '90s are all grown up and today's teens pretty don't remember anything from the decade (or very little) yeah the '90s seem so much older.

Written By: Emman on 01/14/12 at 9:48 am

First decade I remember, last decade of the 20th century. I remember a lot of things that would become dominant things in the 21st century, had their initial explosion in the '90s (internet, cell phones, digital cameras, even HDTV first came up in the '90s...but the '90s was still mostly dominated by older 20th century tech in retrospect). I remember all that stuff coming up as a kid and the older stuff (VCRs, cassettes, etc.) that preceded it. The '90s were the crossroads of the 20th and 21st centuries. It really seems like America peaked right around the turn of the century and things haven't been as great since...but it could still get better. Born in 1987, I consider myself among the youngest to remember the final days of the great century that was the 20th century. But yeah I hold the '90s in pretty high regard. I remember how far off 2001 (when I would start high school) seemed in 1997. I have a few old elementary/middle school friends on Facebook, a decent amount of them are married now, it's a bit surreal when you remember them as 10/11 year olds in '97 and now you're talking 25/26 year olds with kids already. It shows just how old the '90s are getting. When I first came to this site I was just a 16/17 year old and the '90s still kinda seemed like "yesterday" now that even the children of the '90s are all grown up and today's teens pretty don't remember anything from the decade (or very little) yeah the '90s seem so much older.

Yeah it seems weird even teenagers today don't have any solid memories of the '90s, to alot of people think the '90s seemed like "the end of history". There's a generational theory that calls the '90s the heart of the unraveling period/ 3rd turning, where the baby boomers and Gen Xers pillage the society and civic institutions begin to decay, individualism is at it's strongest, the social mood is cynical and distrusting of the government/civic institutions, the culture starts to fragment(people complaining about the '90s/'00s not having a solid identity like previous decades), it is also called the culture wars era, this period is akin to autumn. Both the '90s and '00s seem to represent this period, it started in the mid '80s and ended in the '08 crash. The period we're in right now is the crisis period/ 4th turning(started in 2008), it is a time where the society cleasenses out the old civic order(which began in 1945 after WW2) and starts anew, during this period we can remake society, it is a period of strenghtening collectivism, reversing the unraveling trends in a sense. So the 2010s and 2020s could be a very interesting period of great social and political change(notice Arab Spring and OWS) that sets a new path for the rest of the 21st century or it can be a period of devastating destruction and even set in a new dark age.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 01/15/12 at 6:32 am

none the less yes i believe in that theory. For me though, the 00's wasnt so much of a culture wars, this was more prominent in the 1990s in a western culture. Although the rest of the world seemed to catch up with this phenomenon around the 00's as traditional values of people in the rest of the western world is also shaken to its core since previous decade despite technological changes

I believe 1995/6 kids are the last of any generation left to remember the 1990s based on my knowledge and unofficial research

I certainly have the memories of the tail end of the 20th century. It was a changeful decade for me personally as well as the world

Check for new replies or respond here...