inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Saturday Morning Cartoons

Written By: Tango on 02/10/12 at 3:33 pm

What happened? Even though I was born in '95 I remember that from 97-01, cartoons were shown on TV, including older ones such as scooby doo and newer ones such as spider man. Now I don't claim to have seen the great era of cartoons but they were still around in my time, but I have not seen a cartoon on TV for years now. It seems now that everything is just a reality show. I remember the saturday morning cartoons when they were on their last legs, in the late 90s, but nevertheless they existed. I remember watching a TV channel (In the UK) in the late 90s that said that it was the 'only place to spend your saturday morning), but I had a look at that same channel over a decade later and I didn't see one cartoon. Not one.

Subject: Re: Saturday Morning Cartoons

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/10/12 at 4:49 pm

They still play Saturday morning cartoons here.

Written By: nally on 02/10/12 at 5:02 pm

Same here, but I never watch 'em. I used to watch them semi-regularly when I was a kid, though!

Written By: Tango on 02/10/12 at 5:49 pm

They still play Saturday morning cartoons here.

I guess it must be a UK thing then. No one seems to be interested in cartoons anymore here, or maybe i'm just not getting out enough  :)

Written By: Howard on 02/10/12 at 7:12 pm

Saturday Morning Cartoons don't exist but not the ones that I used to watch.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 02/10/12 at 8:59 pm

We have Toonzai over here, which shows anime stuff like YuGiOh, Sonic, Dragon Ball Z, etc. on Saturday mornings. Also, one of our retro TV stations shows He-Man, She-Ra, and BraveStarr on Saturday mornings.

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 10:48 am

what happened? 

DVD's
cable channels that cater specifically to children so that they have access to kid friendly content 24/7
DVR's
video games
and
DVD's

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/12/12 at 2:40 pm

The '90s were really the last decade where Saturday Morning cartoons made an impact, and FOX was the main network for much of this decade providing them (and increasingly with live-action shows such as Power Rangers). ABC did fairly well for most of the decade, right up through their "One Saturday Morning" era. CBS was strong early in the decade with Ninja Turtles, Garfield, and others. But NBC was pretty much done with Saturday Morning except for some live action teen shows. It was really a transitional decade between the golden age of the '60s-'80s and the all but gone era of the early 21st century, and it's only gotten worse since 2000. As of fall 2011, ABC no longer airs cartoons on Saturday mornings, and programming is just a shadow of its former self on the other networks, with often just two hours of programming thanks to added morning news shows and other paid programs, plus there is usually added emphasis on education, which makes these shows practically PBS clones. It just shows how fractured media is today compared to the more broad-reaching era.

Written By: Step-chan on 02/13/12 at 11:42 am

I remember one of the last ones I seen was Mega Man.(Minus the rare occasion of stuff like Mon Colle Knights after I moved out)

Written By: mylilypad on 02/23/12 at 3:38 am

what happened? 

DVD's
cable channels that cater specifically to children so that they have access to kid friendly content 24/7
DVR's
video games
and
DVD's

i also think the internet had a big part in the decline and disappearance of saturday morning cartoons. boy, there were fun to watch! :)

Written By: Howard on 02/23/12 at 6:45 am

i also think the internet had a big part in the decline and disappearance of saturday morning cartoons. boy, there were fun to watch! :)

I think so, now these days you can watch cartoons on the internet.

Written By: mylilypad on 02/23/12 at 4:18 pm

I think so, now these days you can watch cartoons on the internet.

i agree and it's fantastic! i suppose the influence of the internet is two-fold.

Written By: Howard on 02/23/12 at 7:23 pm

i agree and it's fantastic! i suppose the influence of the internet is two-fold.

the internet has been a great tool since it first came out now you can be able to watch just about anything.

Written By: nally on 02/23/12 at 7:24 pm

the internet has been a great tool since it first came out now you can be able to watch just about anything.

Especially on Youtube or other video-watching sites.

Written By: Howard on 02/23/12 at 7:26 pm

Especially on Youtube or other video-watching sites.

just go to a site where it has free tv and you can watch the cartoons.

Written By: nally on 02/23/12 at 7:29 pm

just go to a site where it has free tv and you can watch the cartoons.

I did that once, but I forget which site it was.

Written By: Howard on 02/23/12 at 7:55 pm

I did that once, but I forget which site it was.

clicker.

Written By: nally on 02/23/12 at 11:38 pm

clicker.

No, I'm pretty sure that wasn't it. Maybe I'll think of it or find it later.

Written By: BuddyBoy600alt on 03/23/12 at 11:42 pm

My favorite Saturday Morning cartoons of 90's. Well, My favorite was Marsupilami (Disney version only). He is a yellow, spotted, long-tail marsupial that lives in a jungle with his gorilla friend, Maurice.

Check for new replies or respond here...