inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Piercings

Written By: raver99 on 02/17/12 at 6:36 pm

Anybody get any piercings in the 90s that they either still have or wish they had kept?

Subject: Re: Piercings

Written By: danootaandme on 02/18/12 at 5:22 am

I pierced my nose way back in the 80s, wish I had kept it.

Written By: Porfle Popnecker on 03/10/12 at 2:39 pm

The only piercing I ever had was when I stepped on a toothpick barefoot.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/10/12 at 6:06 pm

I got my ear pierced in 1986 when it was still kinda radical for guys.  I wore various earrings for a couple of years and then lost interest.  I can still feel the scar tissue in my left ear lobe.

Written By: Dagwood on 03/10/12 at 6:47 pm

Back in the day when it shocked the adults to see a guy with his ear pierced?  And, be careful which ear. ;D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/10/12 at 6:56 pm

Got my ears pierced in 1985 as a show of support for my young cousin (She was 6 and wanted hers pierced, but was afraid.  So she, my aunt (age 47) and I (age 16) all went to get our ears pierced together.  My aunt and I did it.  Cousin chickened out.

I wore some nice earrings for awhile, back when long, dangly earrings were fashionable.  I don't exactly remember when they closed up, a few years after I graduated and started working in 1987.  The earrings kept getting caught in my long hair.  I now have a jewellry box of memories.  Maybe one day I'll be brave enough to get new holes.  I kinda try to avoid pain now.  ;D ;D

Written By: Howard on 03/10/12 at 7:31 pm

Back in the day when it shocked the adults to see a guy with his ear pierced?  And, be careful which ear. ;D

cause one of the ears could think that he was gay.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/10/12 at 10:25 pm

As George Carlin said,
If your right is pieced it means you gay, if your left ear is pierced it means like to hump water buffalo or something.
::)

Written By: amjikloviet on 03/11/12 at 10:50 am

I had my ears pierced (once on each ear) when I was a baby, as is the tradition in my family all of the girls that were born had to get their ears pierced. So I've had them that way most of my life now.

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/13/12 at 7:54 pm

As George Carlin said,
If your right is pieced it means you gay, if your left ear is pierced it means like to hump water buffalo or something.
::)

Funny thing - I remember the same basic idea going around in high school, and none of us knew which ear was the "straight" or the "gay" ear either.  We figured that if the confusion was widespread enough to make it into a Carlin routine, nobody knew. 

Now I wonder if it was like pop vs. soda: depending on which area of the country you lived in, the same ear piercing could be interpreted in a completely opposite manner.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/13/12 at 9:39 pm

Funny thing - I remember the same basic idea going around in high school, and none of us knew which ear was the "straight" or the "gay" ear either.  We figured that if the confusion was widespread enough to make it into a Carlin routine, nobody knew. 

Now I wonder if it was like pop vs. soda: depending on which area of the country you lived in, the same ear piercing could be interpreted in a completely opposite manner.

Then there was the rumor that a left earring meant you were a drug dealer.  Right for gay, left for dealer, both for gay dealer...

Nowadays you can have your ears, nose, lip, and tongue pierced six ways 'till Sunday and nobody bats an eye.  Not around these parts at least!
8)

Written By: Howard on 03/14/12 at 6:47 am

Then there was the rumor that a left earring meant you were a drug dealer.  Right for gay, left for dealer, both for gay dealer...

Nowadays you can have your ears, nose, lip, and tongue pierced six ways 'till Sunday and nobody bats an eye.  Not around these parts at least!
8)

Around these parts people would think you're crazy.

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/14/12 at 8:57 am

Only body part I have pierced are my ears, 3 in my left lobe and 2 in my right.  Sadly I can not wear any earrings now, I don't know why but ever since I had my daughter I can not wear them if I try my earlobes get inflamed and infected.  I've tried every kind...gold, white gold, silver, sensitive kinds, painted the posts with clear nail polish.  You name it, I've tried it.  I've given up.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/14/12 at 3:16 pm

In the 90's I had 8 holes in one ear, and 5 in the other.  (Two of the 8 were up on top.)  Now, I only wear one earring in each ear.  I'm old... 

I also had my nose and belly button pierced.

My belly button has long since closed up.  It's ok though...I'm too fat now for it anyway.  ;D ;D

My nose closed, and I had it repierced a couple of years ago, but I can't wear my nose ring to my current job so I'm sure it's closed again.  That's the one I miss the most.

Written By: amjikloviet on 03/16/12 at 3:15 pm

I'm glad I got mine when I was a baby, so I don't remember what it was like get them lol.

Check for new replies or respond here...