inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What were you doing in 1999??

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 03/02/12 at 7:44 am

for those who are too young too remember the early 1990s, I suppose this thread is appropriate for those who do have clear memory of the end of 20th century ;)

so what were you doing in 1999?

Subject: Re: What were you doing in 1999??

Written By: amjikloviet on 03/02/12 at 10:40 am

Well, let's see...I turned 19 that year, and it was the year that my first nephew was born. So I became an aunt =) I remember on my birthday we were going through a hurricane/storm, I think it was Hurricane Floyed but by the time it came through this area it was just tropical storm Floyed. Who else remembers it if?

Written By: nally on 03/02/12 at 12:00 pm

I also turned 19 that year. I was attending Mission College, a community college close to where I was then living. During the first half of the year I was finishing my first year of college, and during the second half of the year I began my second year of college. In addition, I began going online regularly, but only at school because we didn't have any internet connection at home.

My mom changed jobs that year, too. She'd been commuting to Downey during the first half of the year, but had to resign from her position at the end of June, due to a death in the family. Her brother - my maternal uncle - passed away on May 2nd from liver disease... so my mother wanted to see about working somewhere closer to her mother's place, so she took a job in Canoga Park (which was also closer than Downey to our home at the time).

Written By: Howard on 03/02/12 at 7:10 pm

I went to a vocational program in the city, stayed there for 4 years.

Written By: whistledog on 03/02/12 at 8:01 pm

I was partying like it was 1982

Written By: Step-chan on 03/02/12 at 10:27 pm

I lived with family at the time. I worked at Cub Foods, played video games and watched cartoons/anime(some things never change) and started developing an interest in the guitar.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 03/04/12 at 6:41 pm

I remember being in school for the kindergarten. I still have fond memories of learning how to write words and sentences in those eloquent handwritings

I used to watch MTV as my sister happened to watch it. I remember seeing those music videos back in the days XD

Written By: Ashes Of The Wake on 03/14/12 at 4:55 pm

4 years old and i just had discovered pokemon and digimon

Written By: Howard on 03/14/12 at 7:35 pm

getting ready for the new millenium.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 03/15/12 at 5:35 pm

there were elections in many parts of the world back then :p and I remember watching the election and I was forced to cos no one was able to take care of me playing outisde

I remember me and the whole family was on a 3 week road-trip and hell that was fun!!!

Written By: Mat1991 on 03/16/12 at 8:56 pm

I turned 8 years old in 1999.

It was the year I graduated from the first grade and began the second grade.

I attended my older half-brother's high school graduation that year.

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx256/Mathew_2010/1999.jpg
For some reason, my half-brother felt impulsed to put his hand over my mouth. The girl standing next to us is my older half-sister, who was 16 years old at the time.

I was a huge fan of the video games Mario Party and Super Mario 64. My cousin and I would play those games all the time.

Cartoon Network was probably my favorite television channel at the time. I recall getting really excited over getting cable, because that meant I'd have access to Cartoon Network in my own home!

Some boys I sat next to in my second grade homeroom class were trying to teach me how to be "cool," and so my parents took me to K-Mart so that I could buy some "cool" clothing.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 03/17/12 at 6:32 am

For some reason, my half-brother felt impulsed to put his hand over my mouth. The girl standing next to us is my older half-sister, who was 16 years old at the time.

I was a huge fan of the video games Mario Party and Super Mario 64. My cousin and I would play those games all the time.

Cartoon Network was probably my favorite television channel at the time. I recall getting really excited over getting cable, because that meant I'd have access to Cartoon Network in my own home!

Some boys I sat next to in my second grade homeroom class were trying to teach me how to be "cool," and so my parents took me to K-Mart so that I could buy some "cool" clothing.  ::)

nice picture Mat.  :)

Written By: Creeder on 03/17/12 at 11:31 am

1999 was a good year...
I was 10 years old, hanging' out with friends, watching cartoon network, getting internet at home for the first time, I remember the solar eclipse of August 11, 1999, I didn't get into music before late 2000s, but music in 1999 was great too.

Written By: Howard on 03/17/12 at 7:30 pm

What was the video game console of 1999? ???

Written By: popguru85 on 03/17/12 at 11:14 pm

for those who are too young too remember the early 1990s, I suppose this thread is appropriate for those who do have clear memory of the end of 20th century ;)

I was in 7th grade. Would always baby sit sister until mom got home from work. After mom got home, we would watch Comedy Central, MAD TV, SNL, etc.

Written By: Brian06 on 03/17/12 at 11:30 pm

What was the video game console of 1999? ???

Dreamcast came out in 1999, I remember I went to get it the day it came out (September 9). Unfortunately it was discontinued only 2 years later. Dreamcast had amazing graphics for its day.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 03/18/12 at 6:01 am

what else did i do in 1999.....

i remember learning numbers and reading in the kindergarten :p

I watched TARZAN!!!

Written By: Howard on 03/18/12 at 6:36 am

Dreamcast came out in 1999, I remember I went to get it the day it came out (September 9). Unfortunately it was discontinued only 2 years later. Dreamcast had amazing graphics for its day.

What about PS1 and PS2?  ???

Written By: Brian06 on 03/18/12 at 12:26 pm

What about PS1 and PS2?  ???

PS1 came out in 1995 and was still doing well in 1999. I got my PS1 in 1996, one of the older models with the RCA jacks on the back of the console, the expansion slot, and no analog sticks on the controller. There were several revisions over the years. PS2 wasn't out yet until 2000 (October 26 in the US).

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 03/18/12 at 6:22 pm

i remember encountring PS1 back then, i remember people playing some japanese games that i dont remember what it is now

Written By: Howard on 03/18/12 at 7:01 pm

PS1 came out in 1995 and was still doing well in 1999. I got my PS1 in 1996, one of the older models with the RCA jacks on the back of the console, the expansion slot, and no analog sticks on the controller. There were several revisions over the years. PS2 wasn't out yet until 2000 (October 26 in the US).

and I still have my PS2 but I'm going to upgrade to a PS3 soon. I really want that WWE12 game.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 03/19/12 at 5:42 am

I really want that WWE12 game.

thats a lot of WWE reproductions i must say :D

Written By: Howard on 03/19/12 at 6:48 am

thats a lot of WWE reproductions i must say :D

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5e/Wwe_12_cover.jpg

This is what I'm referring to.

Written By: amjikloviet on 03/20/12 at 12:56 am

Being a teenager! I had turned 19 that year.

Written By: Howard on 03/20/12 at 6:37 am

I was 25 that year.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 03/21/12 at 7:07 am

I was on Islands road trips for about 1 month or more and it was a fun experience, our family went to many places with all the palm trees plantations and jungles

also remembering for some reason able to remember many MTV video hits back in the day

Written By: Emman on 03/21/12 at 11:24 am

Being a teenager, watching reruns of Growing Pains, hating on boybands/teenpop.

There was a incident where I brought a pocket knife to school(borrowed it from my friend), some guy saw it and snitched on me, I was suspended for 3 days. This happened 2 months before Columbine, if it would have happened AFTER Columbine that guy could have gotten me in some serious trouble.

That was a weird time to be a teenager, most of pop culture was very immature, promoting gross out comedies, juvenile Blink 182 style pop-punk, Limp Bizkit/Korn nu metal, and this was presented as the cool edgy "alternative" to teenpop.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 03/21/12 at 5:10 pm

Being a teenager, watching reruns of Growing Pains, hating on boybands/teenpop.

There was a incident where I brought a pocket knife to school(borrowed it from my friend), some guy saw it and snitched on me, I was suspended for 3 days. This happened 2 months before Columbine, if it would have happened AFTER Columbine that guy could have gotten me in some serious trouble.

That was a weird time to be a teenager, most of pop culture was very immature, promoting gross out comedies, juvenile Blink 182 style pop-punk, Limp Bizkit/Korn nu metal, and this was presented as the cool edgy "alternative" to teenpop.

Interesting about your experience with knives and definitely scary

and it was much better to be a teenager than today culturally just saying

Written By: Howard on 03/21/12 at 7:04 pm

I was in my 2nd year of dating a girl from my friday night social.

Written By: nally on 03/22/12 at 6:34 pm

Being a teenager! I had turned 19 that year.
I, too, entered the final year of my teens. And what a year it was...

Written By: Howard on 03/23/12 at 6:25 am

WWE's Smackdown debuted that year.

Written By: Inertia on 03/23/12 at 8:53 am

I turned 10 that year and was in 4th/5th grade. We bought our first Microsoft OS computer, a Windows 98, and got internet service at home. Previously, I had only used the computers in the school lab and an ancient computer I won in a poetry contest in either 3rd grade. That year, I broke my arm that year playing on the playground and met one of the only people I have remained friends with since childhood.

Written By: Bailey W. on 04/16/12 at 2:05 pm

On January 1st of 1999 I would have turned 8, and that year I was into soccer......

Written By: Howard on 04/17/12 at 6:33 am

On January 1st of 1999 I would have turned 8, and that year I was into soccer......

So you're a new year's day baby?

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 04/18/12 at 9:28 am

I just watched the American Pie Reunion

I wish I was in High School back in 1999  :(

Written By: Howard on 04/18/12 at 7:23 pm

I just watched the American Pie Reunion

I wish I was in High School back in 1999  :(

How was the film?

Written By: Rockstone on 04/19/12 at 9:35 pm

I was in kindergarten. It was a long time ago. I miss the 1990s.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 04/21/12 at 6:12 am

How was the film?

It was surprisingly good actually!! Its better than their other sequels and definitely still raunchy and funny. I LOLed a lot literally

Written By: Howard on 04/21/12 at 6:31 am

It was surprisingly good actually!! Its better than their other sequels and definitely still raunchy and funny. I LOLed a lot literally

Was Stifler still the same as he was 13 years ago? ???

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 04/21/12 at 6:35 am

Was Stifler still the same as he was 13 years ago? ???

Jes! except he works in an office now. The casting were great too!! they were selecting good actors nowadays too. I'm not going to spoil it any further. Watch it!!!

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/30/12 at 10:50 am

In 1999 I was FIERCE AND UNSTOPPABLY COOL.  I miss those days.

Written By: Howard on 04/30/12 at 7:13 pm

getting ready to celebrate the year 2000.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 05/02/12 at 1:20 am

Learning to read and spell  ;D

Written By: FormerMember on 06/07/12 at 11:31 am

Damn, some people make me feel old as hell.

Written By: Rafael on 06/08/12 at 11:47 am

i was obsessd with pokemon then

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/09/12 at 8:04 am

I was 29 and lost in America in an 18-wheeler.

Written By: Goodogbadog on 06/09/12 at 12:28 pm

Trying to decide if I should join everyone who was freaking out about the computers crashing when it turned 2000, getting generators, storing up food, wondering what they'd do with all the food if the computers didn't crash! Worrying about work colleagues who weren't getting prepared at all. Trying to do a good job at work, figure out what my life was about.

Written By: Howard on 06/09/12 at 7:24 pm

Trying to decide if I should join everyone who was freaking out about the computers crashing when it turned 2000, getting generators, storing up food, wondering what they'd do with all the food if the computers didn't crash! Worrying about work colleagues who weren't getting prepared at all. Trying to do a good job at work, figure out what my life was about.

just about everyone was freaking out about the crash of the new millenium but it never happened.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/12/12 at 10:24 pm

Even though I was 12, I'd say we shared alot of the same experiences. I didn't have a PS1 yet, so the Nintendo 64 dominated my life in '99. I owned both SM64 and MP, as well as "Ocarina of Time", "Mortal Kombat 4" and "NFL Quarterback Club '98". Cartoon Network was huge as well, as it seems like there wasn't a single kid in Junior High in 1999 that didn't watch Toonami every afternoon. Other than that, my life at the time consisted of watching WWF wrestling, listening to Nu Metal, and learning how to surf the web in it's early days.

All in all, it was great times, but as someone mentioned before, Columbine still casts a dark shadow over an otherwise carefree year. If you were in any grade level of school in 1999, it's not a matter of if it effected you, but to what extent. In the small town that I grew up in, the very idea of someone bringing a gun to school and shooting students had literally never occurred to anybody. Then suddenly, we had to miss our last day of school in June '99 because a false rumor got around that somebody was going to do a copycat shooting, and at the beginning of the '99/'00 school year, we had clear book bag requirements, metal detectors at ever door, and an armed guard patrolling the school. It was certainly an odd, scary time to be a student.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 06/18/12 at 1:38 am

I was in Pre-School  ;D

Written By: karen on 06/24/12 at 6:09 am

My daughter was born in November 98 so early part of 99 I was on maternity leave from work.  When I went back to work it was to a new job in a different department of the university.  So I spent time trying to learn lots of new stuff whilst not getting much sleep!

My husband was studying for an MBA in his spare time(!)

I turned 30 in August 99 and we had a party at our house for family and friends.

We spent the millenium new year with friends in North Wales.  At midnight we set off loads of fireworks

Written By: karen on 06/24/12 at 6:13 am

just about everyone was freaking out about the crash of the new millenium but it never happened.

Because of all the work that people did to try and make sure it didn't happen.  A retired friend of mine went back to work to help reprogram a massive computer system for a national company.  I can't recall now what language it was programmed in (maybe COBOL) but newer recruits didn't know the language to even begin reprogramming things.

In the lab I worked in the dataloggers reset their date to 1 January 1980.  Thankfully we didn't have a long term data collection project running over the holiday period.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/24/12 at 10:13 pm

Because of all the work that people did to try and make sure it didn't happen.  A retired friend of mine went back to work to help reprogram a massive computer system for a national company.  I can't recall now what language it was programmed in (maybe COBOL) but newer recruits didn't know the language to even begin reprogramming things.

Probably COBOL, maybe Ada.  Was it IN ALL CAPS with LOTS OF EXTRA WORDS FOR SIMPLE THINGS, or were there semicolons at the end of each line?

Written By: nally on 06/25/12 at 12:25 am

Probably COBOL, maybe Ada.  Was it IN ALL CAPS with LOTS OF EXTRA WORDS FOR SIMPLE THINGS, or were there semicolons at the end of each line?

I'd learned a few things about those languages in a comp-sci class that I took later on ("Concepts of Programming Languages"), and I think I remember that one of them uses ALL CAPS for its commands. Might even be FORTRAN for all I know...

Written By: TD3000 on 06/27/12 at 12:28 pm

I was in 6th/7th grade in '99. Played a lot of N64 but also got the Dreamcast when it came out. Sonic Adventure, NFL 2K, Crazy Taxi...good times. Wrestling was HUGE around that time with the Monday Night Wars and the Attitude Era. I was big into the Southern rap groups, No Limit and Cash Money, which were peaking at the time. Also had Will Smith's Willenium CD. I'll admit, I freaked out a bit about Y2K as well.

Written By: Raisins on 06/28/12 at 7:05 am

I was 29 and lost in America in an 18-wheeler.

I was in late preschool. I played a lot of "Pajama Sam" and "Sonic 3" on the computer, but I didn't use it much otherwise. I had been to my elementary school and was excited about starting it (if only I'd known...).

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 07/01/12 at 3:37 am

I turned 9 on October 28th that year. Was in 2nd grade for the first part of the year and 3rd for the second.

How about everyone's memories of Dec 31, 1999 since it was the final day of the 90s?

For me, my family and I went to this Mexican restaurant called Chi Chi's (which has since closed). Then later before midnight I was in my basement playing Snowboard Kids 2, which I had just gotten for Christmas, on Nintendo 64 (I was trying really hard to beat the haunted house track, if anyone else remembers this game!). Then for the countdown we drank some kind of soda out of wine glasses, lol.

Written By: TakaWuKid91 on 07/09/12 at 10:11 pm

You're the same age as me, nice picture BTW.

I was also 8 years old, in the third grade.

That was the year Spongebob Nightmarepants premiered.

I was watch Dexter's Lab and Cow and Chicken on Cartoon Network.

I also watched Nickelodeon for Hey Arnold, Angry Beavers, and CatDog.  ;D

Oh I also had PS1 and N64 and a Gameboy color.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/14 at 3:11 pm

Living and breathing

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/17/14 at 3:26 pm

I was in kindergarten for the first half and 1st grade for the second half. I was playing N64 alot with Mario Kart 64, Goldeneye 007, Super Mario 64, Diddy Kong Racing and the other games. I also still played the SNES everyday having an adventure. I watched lots Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, Disney Channel, Fox Kids, ABC Kids, PBS, and Kids WB. I went to Lucky's alot before it became Albertsons. I went to the arcades. My family threw a few big parties. I got my hair braided at the end of the year.  I played PC games. I went outside a lot to play on the swing and the playground. I was learning about Science. My family and I went to the beach alot in the mobile home. And last, waiting for my cousin to be born at the end of the year (he was born 2 weeks later in 2000).

Written By: Arrowstone on 06/17/14 at 5:20 pm

Being 7 years old. Climbing trees; fishing near my house; Cartoon Network; maybe Top of the Pops; Mario Kart; drawing; paint; writing stupid stories in Word; I collected plastic dinosaurs, and played with them, somehow they were the thing. And counting down for the new millennium, as I was a geek even back then.

Written By: Howard on 06/17/14 at 7:21 pm

Living and breathing

same here.

Written By: dnt88 on 06/18/14 at 6:01 pm

I turned 11 that year, my parents bought me a ps1 in january of that year, so I spent the whole year playing videogames like silent hill 1 or resident evil 3. I remember that britney spears and christina aguilera were huge, and also a lot of teen pop music, so I used to watch their videos on tv and listen to their music. I also had cable tv so I would watch my favorite cartoons and the first episodes of spongebob *-*. Dragon Ball GT and pokemon were my favorite shows that year and I used to collect cards, stickers, toys, etc from those shows. My parents gave me a film photo camera for my birthday that year (digital cameras were not very popular yet), so I would take lots of pictures with it. I didn't care about the new millenium (until december 31st lol). It was a very good year for me but sadly the last of the 90's.  :\'( u_u

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/18/14 at 6:39 pm

First I was still in 7th grade. I played basketball, the tournament was an absolute blast. Me and the girls I shared a hotel room with were talking and laughing all night. My parents came to see me play. Over the summer I turned 14. We got our first computer. That fall I began the 8th grade.

Written By: XYkid on 06/18/14 at 6:40 pm

I was starting kindergarten and I was taking tap dance lessons. I remember that year we took a really long vacation to California, which was really fun. I remember listening to Britney Spears and NSYNC with one of my older cousins, and also getting to watch the millennium turn.

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/18/14 at 6:45 pm

I was starting kindergarten and I was taking tap dance lessons. I remember that year we took a really long vacation to California, which was really fun. I remember listening to Britney Spears and NSYNC with one of my older cousins, and also getting to watch the millennium turn.

Me and a friend did a sleepover and banged on pots and pans after midnight and yelled out the door!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/14 at 4:12 am

Attending computer courses to further my career

Written By: Howard on 06/19/14 at 6:52 am

Me and a friend did a sleepover and banged on pots and pans after midnight and yelled out the door!

Did you disturb any neighbors?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/14 at 6:55 am

Did the neighbours come round and ask to keep it down?

Written By: Howard on 06/19/14 at 4:32 pm

attending a vocational program in the city.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/19/14 at 6:15 pm

I got braces in October. Kept it on for about two years.

Written By: Vance Jacobsen on 06/22/14 at 10:11 pm

I remember getting my braces off that year and boy was that a relief 8).  That year I left JR High and started my freshman year of HS.  I had a really fun history teacher and I also enjoyed my Spanish class that year . I can recall the death of JFK II  :\'( and the Columbine shootings :\'( as the two major current events that come freshest to my mind. Oh, and the Women's soccer team winning the cup :-*. I saw DickSouth Park: Bigger Longer and Uncut ( I still have yet to laugh harder and louder in a movie theater), Austin Powers: The Spy who Shagged meand Star Wars: Episode one in the cinema that summer.  What I remember most about New Year's Eve was watching the celebrations of the new millennium from cities around the world.   

Written By: Vance Jacobsen on 06/22/14 at 10:14 pm

I remember getting my braces off that year and boy was that a relief 8).  That year I left JR High and started my freshman year of HS.  I had a really fun history teacher and I also enjoyed my Spanish class that year . I can recall the death of JFK II  :\'( and the Columbine shootings :\'( as the two major current events that come freshest to my mind. Oh, and the Women's soccer team winning the cup :-*. Not to mention the absolute fail that was Woodstock 99 8-P.I saw DickSouth Park: Bigger Longer and Uncut ( I still have yet to laugh harder and louder in a movie theater ;D), Austin Powers: The Spy who Shagged me and Star Wars: Episode one in the cinema that summer.  What I remember most about New Year's Eve was watching the celebrations of the new millennium from cities around the world. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/14 at 2:53 am

Finding a new group of people who are now very dear friends for me.

Written By: preston181 on 06/29/14 at 1:39 am

Oh good lord, what a year 1999 was, (the years 1997 through 1999 were the most memorable, with 1999 culminating everything about my teen years). So much stuff happened that year, and so many memories, good and bad. Should I ever get a time machine, I'd set it for July of 1997, live there through March of 2000, and just let it loop over and over.

Let's see, 1999...

I'd of turned 18 on January 31st.

I'd of been working as a swing manager at a local pizza joint.

My parents, who divorced in 2001, were still together. My sister, who turned 17 that year, and I still lived at our parents' house. I moved out in 2000, and 1999 was the last full year we all still lived together.

I'd of graduated high school in May.

I would of just been meeting my 1st wife, through my then-girlfriend, for the first time, in August, (we ended up getting together in March of 2000, hence the looping back to July 1997, as the day we became a couple was March 24, 2000; and everything after that day in our relationship failed to achieve the same level of happiness we shared. We married in July 2002, and things fell apart a year later).

My current fiancé, (who I've been with since September 2004), would have turned 15 in October, (It would still be almost another 5 years before we met). And, before anyone asks why I'd take a time machine back before the current fiancé, my reply is that I am presently in my relationship with her, and no time machine is necessary to revisit that. Plus, the 90's are my nostalgic weakness, particularly 1997 through 1999. So, yeah, the answer is "IF I had a time machine, I'd go back then". Also, my fiancé said, when the subject of time machines came up, (we've talked quite a bit over the last 10 years), that she'd find a way to convince her 15 year old self to meet and get with my 18 year old self back in 1999. The age factor, and her being a minor back then might be an issue, and I pointed this out to her. She's still convinced it'd of worked out, despite my joking about robbing the cradle with her.

I had a lot of friends who later moved away, and we fell out of touch.

I smoked pot back then, and remember listening to quite a bit of classic rock, (Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Skynyrd), and a bit of Nine Inch Nails, Megadeth, and Metallica. I remember rocking out to my dash mounted, "skip protection", tape player adapted, Sony CD player; in my 1992 Chevy Lumina. I remember discovering Febreeze, and trying to cover the pot smell from my parents.

I remember December 31st, 1999 through January 1st, 2000 vividly, because I rang in the New millennium explicitly, having sex starting in 1999 and ending in 2000. Sorry, not much of any other way to describe that one. Thought it was neat because of the whole millennium thing. My friends at the time thought it was pretty cool that I did that. We were young, what can I say?

I miss that period of my life, before responsibility, and having to "be an adult". Yes, I was 18, technically an adult for almost the entire year, but I didn't truly "grow up" until I moved out of my parents' house in 2000. I miss every single aspect of my life then. I miss my family "being a family". I miss the music. I miss being young. I even miss the pot.

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/29/14 at 3:36 am

Did you disturb any neighbors?

No. They didn't care. They may not have been home, or others were outside making fireworks anyway.

Written By: Visor765 on 06/29/14 at 11:37 am

Oh good lord, what a year 1999 was, (the years 1997 through 1999 were the most memorable, with 1999 culminating everything about my teen years). So much stuff happened that year, and so many memories, good and bad. Should I ever get a time machine, I'd set it for July of 1997, live there through March of 2000, and just let it loop over and over.

Let's see, 1999...

I'd of turned 18 on January 31st.

I'd of been working as a swing manager at a local pizza joint.

My parents, who divorced in 2001, were still together. My sister, who turned 17 that year, and I still lived at our parents' house. I moved out in 2000, and 1999 was the last full year we all still lived together.

I'd of graduated high school in May.

I would of just been meeting my 1st wife, through my then-girlfriend, for the first time, in August, (we ended up getting together in March of 2000, hence the looping back to July 1997, as the day we became a couple was March 24, 2000; and everything after that day in our relationship failed to achieve the same level of happiness we shared. We married in July 2002, and things fell apart a year later).

My current fiancé, (who I've been with since September 2004), would have turned 15 in October, (It would still be almost another 5 years before we met). And, before anyone asks why I'd take a time machine back before the current fiancé, my reply is that I am presently in my relationship with her, and no time machine is necessary to revisit that. Plus, the 90's are my nostalgic weakness, particularly 1997 through 1999. So, yeah, the answer is "IF I had a time machine, I'd go back then". Also, my fiancé said, when the subject of time machines came up, (we've talked quite a bit over the last 10 years), that she'd find a way to convince her 15 year old self to meet and get with my 18 year old self back in 1999. The age factor, and her being a minor back then might be an issue, and I pointed this out to her. She's still convinced it'd of worked out, despite my joking about robbing the cradle with her.

I had a lot of friends who later moved away, and we fell out of touch.

I smoked pot back then, and remember listening to quite a bit of classic rock, (Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Skynyrd), and a bit of Nine Inch Nails, Megadeth, and Metallica. I remember rocking out to my dash mounted, "skip protection", tape player adapted, Sony CD player; in my 1992 Chevy Lumina. I remember discovering Febreeze, and trying to cover the pot smell from my parents.

I remember December 31st, 1999 through January 1st, 2000 vividly, because I rang in the New millennium explicitly, having sex starting in 1999 and ending in 2000. Sorry, not much of any other way to describe that one. Thought it was neat because of the whole millennium thing. My friends at the time thought it was pretty cool that I did that. We were young, what can I say?

I miss that period of my life, before responsibility, and having to "be an adult". Yes, I was 18, technically an adult for almost the entire year, but I didn't truly "grow up" until I moved out of my parents' house in 2000. I miss every single aspect of my life then. I miss my family "being a family". I miss the music. I miss being young. I even miss the pot.

You didn't have any responsibility whatsoever? You miss absolutely every part of your life back then? Seems like your not satisfied with your present life. Life is supposed to get better as time goes on, not worse.

Written By: preston181 on 06/29/14 at 9:53 pm

I had responsibilities, but not on the level of what an adult, living on their own has. I think a lot of people like the short period of their life, usually in their mid to late teens, where they're old enough to go out and have fun, but young enough that mom and dad still "take care of them". Not saying it was wholly for that reason, but it was a fun time. Not saying that I believe people should live off of others either.

In my case, I miss that period of my life badly, for a variety of reasons, but I'm not saying my present life isn't fulfilling. It's nostalgia for the time period, (which I'm sure anyone on this site can understand, as this site is specifically for people who are nostalgic about previous decades), and it's daydreaming on my part, about a "what if" scenario, of having a time machine, and being able to revisit a portion of my life past. Was my life better than? In some ways, yes. In other ways, no. Given the choice of living in this present moment, and that period of time, it'd be a difficult choice in some regards, especially given the way the world has changed in the last 15 years.

Written By: Howard on 06/30/14 at 2:11 pm

I started a bowling league. I stopped bowling for good 11 years ago cause of my twisted hamstring, I quit a few months after that.

Written By: Visor765 on 06/30/14 at 4:14 pm

Holy cow, did you wake up the others sleeping in the house?! That's crazy!

Written By: DemiLover89 on 07/06/14 at 4:50 pm

Let's see, I turned 15.
I was promoted to Jr. counselor at summer camp. (I went from the time I was 6-21, one month every summer)
One of my cousins got married in September and I got pissy drunk on champagne at the wedding.  And threw up in a potted plant at the church.
Oh, I had my first "real" boyfriend.  :)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/08/14 at 4:41 pm

I was a newlywed then (married in '98).  My new husband who is an IT manager was working feverishly to prepare his company's computers for Y2K.  Some of you may remember all the doomsday scenarios.  He spent a lot of long nights and weekends with his colleagues getting the computer systems ready for January 1.  :-\\

2000 entered with a whimper not a disaster "bang", to (most of) our collective relief.

Written By: preston181 on 07/12/14 at 10:50 pm

;D

Haha. Almost forgot about the whole Y2K scare. If I recall correctly, there were some ATMs that spit out money somewhere in the world, and some smaller failures, like cell phones not working. Otherwise, the "catastrophe" was overestimated.

Written By: Howard on 07/13/14 at 3:14 pm

;D

Haha. Almost forgot about the whole Y2K scare. If I recall correctly, there were some ATMs that spit out money somewhere in the world, and some smaller failures, like cell phones not working. Otherwise, the "catastrophe" was overestimated.

How much money?

Written By: karen on 07/16/14 at 9:01 am

;D

I don't think the catastrophe was over estimated.  It was because of people like American Girl's husband working damn hard that made sure there wasn't a disaster.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/19/14 at 1:48 pm

An amusing example of the Y2K problem - here's a gas receipt I stumbled on cleaning a closet.  Look carefully at the date:

http://users.dls.net/~faulkners/GasReceipt2000''.jpg

;D

For extra credit, notice the price per gallon...  :o

Written By: Howard on 07/19/14 at 5:57 pm

An amusing example of the Y2K problem - here's a gas receipt I stumbled on cleaning a closet.  Look carefully at the date:

http://users.dls.net/~faulkners/GasReceipt2000''.jpg

;D

For extra credit, notice the price per gallon...  :o

Was that a mistake? :o

;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/06/16 at 11:24 am

I was born in 1999, so I didn't really have any memories of the year.

Written By: 2001 on 09/06/16 at 12:02 pm

Collecting bottle caps for those competitions, riding my bike, playing and watching a lot of Pokémon and Digimon. Making my mom have panic attacks by getting off the bus at my friend's house after school instead of going straight home LOL

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/06/16 at 12:17 pm

Collecting bottle caps for those competitions, riding my bike, playing and watching a lot of Pokémon and Digimon. Making my mom have panic attacks by getting off the bus at my friend's house after school instead of going straight home LOL

Did she get pissed when you returned from your friend's house?

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/06/16 at 12:29 pm

I was a bug, Pokémon obsessed, Cartoon Network addicted, antagonistic, Nintendo 64 craving and bike cycle curious. I had a terrible start. Haha

Written By: 2001 on 09/06/16 at 12:45 pm

Did she get pissed when you returned from your friend's house?

Lol yeah. My grandma defended me no matter what I did though  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/06/16 at 1:59 pm

Lol yeah. My grandma defended me no matter what I did though  ;D

Did your mother ever ground you for being with your friends?

Written By: Howard on 09/06/16 at 2:48 pm

I attended a program in Manhattan.

Written By: meesa on 09/06/16 at 2:51 pm

had my youngest child. Was very busy with children, my oldest was 3 going on 4 and my middle was 2 going on 3. LOL So when New Years came, it was not partying like 1999.. I remember everyone being worried about Y2K that year.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/06/16 at 4:19 pm

I was born in 1999, so I obviously don't have any memories of it. I only experienced 9.5 months of the year. :P

Written By: 2001 on 09/06/16 at 6:12 pm

Did your mother ever ground you for being with your friends?

No, my parents weren't the grounding type.

I attended a program in Manhattan.

What kind of programme?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/06/16 at 6:25 pm

Oh. So they just yelled at you for being at one of your friends' house?

Written By: 2001 on 09/06/16 at 6:39 pm

Oh. So they just yelled at you for being at one of your friends' house?

Basically. My mom eventually became friends with my friend's mom though, so sometimes I'd go over and my mom would already be at his house lol.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/06/16 at 7:01 pm

Basically. My mom eventually became friends with my friend's mom though, so sometimes I'd go over and my mom would already be at his house lol.

Oh, so your mom would just go stay at your friends house and talk to his mom? That seems similar compared to my friends, when my mom would usually talk to my friends' parents, while my friends would do fun stuff with me. :)

Written By: aja675 on 09/06/16 at 8:18 pm

Collecting stickers and karaoke VCD's.

Written By: 2001 on 09/06/16 at 9:48 pm

Oh, so your mom would just go stay at your friends house and talk to his mom? That seems similar compared to my friends, when my mom would usually talk to my friends' parents, while my friends would do fun stuff with me. :)

Haha yep. It's cool when they do that.  :D

Collecting stickers and karaoke VCD's.

My school gave out Sailor Moon and Digimon stickers in 1999. Had to have them all!! Also, there was a Boxer Pikachu toy that a kid would be allowed to take home every week. It was huge!

Being 7 years old. Climbing trees; fishing near my house; Cartoon Network; maybe Top of the Pops; Mario Kart; drawing; paint; writing stupid stories in Word; I collected plastic dinosaurs, and played with them, somehow they were the thing. And counting down for the new millennium, as I was a geek even back then.

Godzilla came out on VHS in late 1998 I believe. I got a couple of Godzilla toys myself. Maybe it was that?  ;D

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/06/16 at 9:53 pm

Going to preschool. :) :) :) playing with my toys and action figures 8) ; watching disney and WB animated movies on VHS, watching Blues Clues, Little Bill, Madeline, Zoro, Pb and j otter, Inside the Box, rollie pollie ollie, bear in the big blue house, Rugrats, CatDog, Pinky and the Brain, Power Rangers, Sylvester and Tweety, Sesame Street, Teltubbies, Barney, Thomas the Train, etc. coloring books, play doh, building blocks etc. :D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/06/16 at 10:01 pm

Singing along to this music video on MTV, and I ain't too proud to admit it. ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHuGG_FsC20

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/06/16 at 10:06 pm

Ahh yeah it was also the first year I played video games since I got my Nintendo 64 for my 4th birthday!! :D :D :D

Written By: d90 on 09/06/16 at 10:07 pm

I got my first pokemon cards and saw the Pokemon anime for the first time in January. I played games on my dad computer and I played in the backyard.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/06/16 at 10:08 pm

Singing along to this music video on MTV, and I ain't too proud to admit it. ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHuGG_FsC20

LOL, you should be embarrassed. :D This song was cheesy millennium era bubblegum pop as you can get. ;D ;)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/06/16 at 10:20 pm

LOL, you should be embarrassed. :D This song was cheesy millennium era bubblegum pop as you can get. ;D ;)

What can I say? I was the prime age for bubblegum pop in 1999 and I ate that stuff up like candy. :-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ElORM9O-0U

Written By: 2001 on 09/06/16 at 10:29 pm

What can I say? I was the prime age for bubblegum pop in 1999 and I ate that stuff up like candy. :-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ElORM9O-0U

For some reason, even though I wasn't a huge fan of the late' 90s "soft rock" Canadian bands like Tel Bachman, Barenaked Ladies, The Tragically Hip, (Seimsonic) etc. I can still remember a lot of the lyrics even 15 years later.  :-[

Written By: 80sfan on 09/06/16 at 11:46 pm

I was watching Who Wants To be A Millionaire, a lot! Also, I was watching Britney Spears videos, 'Sometimes' and '(You Drive Me) Crazy!'

Oh yeah, and watching this movie here.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVJQsCKelqsRu6q0zZbB4TFQyLCu6whXujM9ig6jTHBJnq5hUrsg

Written By: 80sfan on 09/06/16 at 11:53 pm

And I went jet skiing a lot with my siblings, a lot that summer. It was the summer of jet skiing!

http://www.whitsundays-australia.com/media/images/catseye-bay-jet-skiing.jpg

Written By: 2001 on 09/07/16 at 12:08 pm

I was watching Who Wants To be A Millionaire, a lot! Also, I was watching Britney Spears videos, 'Sometimes' and '(You Drive Me) Crazy!'

Oh yeah, and watching this movie here.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVJQsCKelqsRu6q0zZbB4TFQyLCu6whXujM9ig6jTHBJnq5hUrsg

I used to Who Wants To Be A Millionaire with my mom. It was intense!

That movie's cover reminded me of...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/68/The_mummy.jpg

Written By: Howard on 09/07/16 at 2:53 pm

What kind of programme?

a vocational program.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/14/17 at 7:15 am

For nine and a half months of the year, I was sleeping and crawling on the floor. That's basically it. :P

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/14/17 at 7:31 am

For the past 11 days I was alive in 1999, all I did was basically sleep and get fed from my mom.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/14/17 at 7:43 am

Watching cricket for the summer, and jobsearch.

Written By: 2001 on 04/14/17 at 8:10 am

Watching cricket for the summer, and jobsearch.

The video game Cricket World Cup 1999 (for PC) was a very addictive, I remember playing that a lot back then. Although, International Cricket for the NES will always be #1. ;D

Written By: exodus08 on 04/14/17 at 10:50 am

I got pink eye and had to wear a patch while trying to watch Godzilla lol.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/14/17 at 11:38 am

From January 1st, 1999 until July 12th, 1999....I was in my mother's womb.

From July 13th, 1999 until somewhere in August 1999....I was still the hospital as a newborn baby....just sleeping and crying.

From somewhere in August 1999 until December 31st, 1999....I was at my aunt and uncle's house with my mom. She fed me, I slept, I cried, I drooled and I crawled. My mother also said that in December 1999 when I was 5 months that I was looking at the TV and singing and that my aunt and uncle couldn't believe that a 5 month old baby was singing ;D.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/14/17 at 11:41 am

I was probably a very huge horror movie fan in 1999.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/14/17 at 6:38 pm

Four and a half months of sleeping and crying pretty much.

I was born with a disconnected esophagus, so I had surgery when I was only a neonate (in fact at only a day old, I had to be flown to a hospital about 130 miles away from where I was born just because of this).

I have two huge scars on the right side of my back as a result from my operation. Soon after, my mom had to get her gallbladder removed.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/14/17 at 6:43 pm

I was born with a disconnected esophagus, so I had surgery when I was only a neonate (in fact at only a day old, I had to be flown to a hospital about 130 miles away from where I was born just because of this).

I have two huge scars on the right side of my back as a result from my operation. Soon after, my mom had to get her gallbladder removed.

Damn bruv. What was your mother severely ill with?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/14/17 at 6:50 pm

Damn. That seems pretty worse than what I had to deal with as a newborn. I was born from a C-section, in which my mom had to recover for five days from it. But aside from that, she didn't really get any other problems. So we were fine after I was born. But with you, I have to feel so sorry for your family to deal with that. It's like you were lucky to survive through that.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/14/17 at 6:50 pm

Damn. That seems pretty worse than what I had to deal with as a newborn. I was born from a C-section, in which my mom had to recover for five days from it. But aside from that, she didn't really get any other problems. So we were fine after I was born. But with you, I have to feel so sorry for your family to deal with that. It's like you were lucky to survive through that.

I was also born from a C-Section.

Damn bruv. What was your mother severely ill with?

Nothing. While traveling by car to the hospital I was going to get my operation in, her gallbladder suddenly started hurting her (if it was a pain scale from 1 to 10, it'd be a 12) a lot. Even worse, my parents had to face traffic while traveling on what was supposed to be a two or two-and-a-half hour trip.

It was sad.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/14/17 at 6:54 pm

I was born from a C-section, in which my mom had to recover for five days from it. But aside from that, she didn't really get any other problems. So we were fine after I was born.

I was as well. I'm not sure how long it took my Mum to recover from it though.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/14/17 at 6:58 pm

I was also born from a C-Section.

Nothing. While traveling by car to the hospital I was going to get my operation in, her gallbladder suddenly started hurting her (if it was a pain scale from 1 to 10, it'd be a 12) a lot. Even worse, my parents had to face traffic while traveling on what was supposed to be a two or two-and-a-half hour trip.

It was sad.

OH OK, I'm still sorry to hear that.

I was as well. I'm not sure how long it took my Mum to recover from it though.

It looks like we were all born by C-Section and we were all born in 1999. COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT ;D.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/14/17 at 7:02 pm

It was sad.

That's extremely long for something very vital in your life. It was like you needed it.

It looks like we were all born by C-Section and we were all born in 1999. COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT ;D.

It's actually strange that we were all born from C-sections.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/14/17 at 7:03 pm

Haha. The three of you wanted to copy me, because I was born first. :P

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/14/17 at 7:04 pm

It's actually strange that we were all born from C-sections.

It is a bit strange...does this mean that we are secretly siblings? ??? ??? ??? :( :( :(.

Haha. The three of you wanted to copy me, because I was born first. :P

That means that you are the aliens first test subject :( :(.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/14/17 at 7:16 pm

The video game Cricket World Cup 1999 (for PC) was a very addictive, I remember playing that a lot back then. Although, International Cricket for the NES will always be #1. ;D
We too had a cricket game back then we were addicted to, but do not remember the name of it.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/14/17 at 7:23 pm

Damn!

Written By: Encoder319 on 04/14/17 at 7:59 pm

Being the only guy in my 3rd grade class who didn't give a sh*t about Pokemon.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/14/17 at 8:07 pm

Being the only guy in my 3rd grade class who didn't give a sh*t about Pokemon.

Were you a Digimon fan growing up?

Written By: Encoder319 on 04/14/17 at 8:31 pm

Were you a Digimon fan growing up?

What's Digimon? LMAO.

I honestly don't know the difference between Pokemon, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, and Dragon Ball Z.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/14/17 at 8:32 pm

I was obssessed with collecting Pokeballs from McDonald's.  :P

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/14/17 at 8:33 pm

What's Digimon? LMAO.

I honestly don't know the difference between Pokemon, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, and Dragon Ball Z.

I'm not a super fan of anime but even I know that those 4 entities are COMPLETELY different.

Written By: Encoder319 on 04/14/17 at 8:36 pm

I'm not a super fan of anime but even I know that those 4 entities are COMPLETELY different.

Yes, I know that they're all different from one another in actuality. I was just being snarky. It's like how some uneducated Middle American thinks the Middle East is just one monolithic geopolitical entity, when deep down they know better.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/14/17 at 8:40 pm

Yes, I know that they're all different from one another in actuality. I was just being snarky. It's like how some uneducated Middle American thinks the Middle East is just one monolithic geopolitical entity, when deep down they know better.

Oh Ok. Yeah, some people are very ignorant to the outside world.

Check for new replies or respond here...