inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you miss the 90s for the older things still around, which are gone now?

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 03/20/12 at 6:24 am

Even though the 80s are a little closer to my heart, as time goes on I realize how much I miss from the 90s too. While I never much related to the edgier youth culture (aside from the 80s holdovers in '90-93), there's so much more I love, particularly the more adult or old fashioned 90s stuff.

What I miss the most was all the retro things from years before which were still not quite dead. It truly was the last decade for alot of things, such as TV being bigger than the internet, kids regularly playing outside, rock culture being bigger than rap, and just somewhat of a general innocence about the world (probably moreso if you were a younger kid and not paying attention to news events). TV and movies were amazing too. The sitcoms were somewhat edgy while still being fun to watch (i.e. Simpsons, Seinfeld, Roseanne, Full House) and I grew up on investigative documentary shows. I think Unsolved Mysteries is my all time favorite show actually.

Commerce was more retro too. A huge thing in my mind is that big box chains (while definitely on the rise) didn't permeate every shopping center, and there were more mom and pop stores. The retro 70s/80s malls hadn't yet been remodeled to look bland and modern. I miss all the empty lots and abandoned buildings before every square inch was developed with cookie-cutter strip malls and dollhouse homes. ;D

Subject: Re: Do you miss the 90s for the older things still around, which are gone now?

Written By: Emman on 03/20/12 at 7:08 am

Even though the 80s are a little closer to my heart, as time goes on I realize how much I miss from the 90s too. While I never much related to the edgier youth culture (aside from the 80s holdovers in '90-93) and I hate rap... I love the more adult or old fashioned 90s stuff.

What I miss the most was all the retro things from years before which were still not quite dead. It truly was the last decade for alot of things in many ways. Like television being bigger than the internet, kids regularly playing outside, rock culture being bigger than rap, and just somewhat of a general innocence about the world (probably moreso if you were a younger kid and not paying attention to news events). TV and movies were amazing too. The sitcoms were somewhat edgy while still being fun to watch (i.e. Simpsons, Seinfeld, Roseanne, Full House) and I grew up on investigative documentary shows. I think Unsolved Mysteries is my all time favorite show actually.

Even just small things too, like how big box stores (while definitely on the rise) didn't permeate every shopping center and there were more mom and pop stores and the 70s/80s malls hadn't yet been remodeled to look bland and modern. I miss all the empty lots and abandoned buildings which were still around in the 90s, before every square inch was developed by cookie cutter shopping centers and dollhouse looking housing developments.  ;D

Even though fashion is not a whole alot different '90s fashion was way more casual and the gender gap was closer, I think fashion is moving in a direction that has bigger and wider gender gaps, women's fashion has changed quite a bit from the tomboy image I get from the '90s. Music seems to be heading away from edginess actually(aside from maybe dubstep), seems what's in now is a mix of a faux indie hipster zeitgeist and fun, cheesy techno-pop. I could maybe get nostalgic for the early/mid '90s but fudge the late '90s, it sucked royally IMO, it was the beginning of the millennial generation starting to have a strong influence on the pop culture(started around '97 with Spice Girls styled teenpop, was full swing by '08 with the explosion of autotuned electropop/dance culture).

I think TV might actually be better in some areas in the '00s/early '10s than it was in the '90s, with the rise of serial dramas like Breaking Bad, The Wire, ect.

Subject: Re: Do you miss the 90s for the older things still around, which are gone now?

Written By: Howard on 03/20/12 at 7:17 am

I do miss the Tv shows and the video games I used to play.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 03/20/12 at 7:58 am

Even though fashion is not a whole alot different '90s fashion was way more casual and the gender gap was closer, I think fashion is moving in a direction that has bigger and wider gender gaps, women's fashion has changed quite a bit from the tomboy image I get from the '90s. Music seems to be heading away from edginess actually(aside from maybe dubstep), seems what's in now is a mix of a faux indie hipster zeitgeist and fun, cheesy techno-pop. I could maybe get nostalgic for the early/mid '90s but fudge the late '90s, it sucked royally IMO, it was the beginning of the millennial generation starting to have a strong influence on the pop culture(started around '97 with Spice Girls styled teenpop, was full swing by '08 with the explosion of autotuned electropop/dance culture).

I think TV might actually be better in some areas in the '00s/early '10s than it was in the '90s, with the rise of serial dramas like Breaking Bad, The Wire, ect.

Great points, I agree with all of that. :) Yeah, I actually really like the tomboyish way girls and younger women dressed in the 90s (i.e. flannel shirts of course) and aside from common stuff like T shirts, Converse and jeans, girls seem to be more "girly" again nowadays.

I feel the same way about the late 90s. I only miss that for the old school 20th century stuff which hadn't died yet, but the new stuff is lame, like Britney and the boybands.

Yeah, music had more edge pre-97, and there seems like almost none of that in the mainstream now. Despite my dislike of rap, I have to admit at least it was more "real" and an art form in the early-mid 90s. Like where they were real gangsters and talked about street life, instead of partying in the clubs.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 03/20/12 at 7:57 pm

Yeah, music had more edge pre-97, and there seems like almost none of that in the mainstream now. Despite my dislike of rap, I have to admit at least it was more "real" and an art form in the early-mid 90s. Like where they were real gangsters and talked about street life, instead of partying in the clubs.

From a millenial perspective, I personally longing to connect with 90s culture as a whole too. I don't enjoy as much with the early 90s ballad, but I enjoy the whole music scene as a whole as well as the culture. I understand the whole value of rebellions ad discontentness in the "art" of the early-mid 1990s. But as I am millenial it is natural for me to love late 90s and early 00s. I do like the bubblegumness of the late 90s pop but I believe late 90s were still a very expressive and a more refined and matured culture in art form too and especially muisc and art with other genres other than bubblegum late 90s

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 03/21/12 at 2:08 am

From a millenial perspective, I personally longing to connect with 90s culture as a whole too. I don't enjoy as much with the early 90s ballad, but I enjoy the whole music scene as a whole as well as the culture. I understand the whole value of rebellions ad discontentness in the "art" of the early-mid 1990s. But as I am millenial it is natural for me to love late 90s and early 00s. I do like the bubblegumness of the late 90s pop but I believe late 90s were still a very expressive and a more refined and matured culture in art form too and especially muisc and art with other genres other than bubblegum late 90s

Oh yeah there's actually some pretty good music from then too (i.e. Third Eye Blind, Offspring, "Crush", "Save Tonight", "Believe", "Breathless"). And I totally understand you being nostalgic for it since you were a young kid then (its like how I feel about 1987, say). I think the boybands and such just give it a bad name, but when I really think back hard enough, that era is better than I sometimes feel like it is, lol.

Written By: Brian06 on 03/22/12 at 8:32 am

I miss the cd stores, video stores, book stores...all these are dead or dying due to the internet now. I remember getting my first CDs at Suncoast as a kid, my first videos at Sam Goody, renting movies at blockbuster, etc. Technology is nice but it is unfortunate we're losing so many businesses to it.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 03/22/12 at 1:11 pm

I miss the cd stores, video stores, book stores...all these are dead or dying due to the internet now. I remember getting my first CDs at Suncoast as a kid, my first videos at Sam Goody, renting movies at blockbuster, etc. Technology is nice but it is unfortunate we're losing so many businesses to it.  :-\\

pretty much those stores are dying cause of the internet, we can do just about anything via internet these days, It's incredible.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 03/22/12 at 1:49 pm

I love secondhand stores more anyway (Goodwills and antique stores, as well as CD stores). I think those are more profitable anyway, and you get way better deals & a bigger selection at those anyway. But just for the nostalgia, I really do miss the mall music stores like Musicland/Sam Goody, and of course those indie neighborhood video stores.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/23/12 at 1:36 pm

I actually do think about this alot, and as much as I don't want to be that guy who, at age 25, is already talking about feeling "old", it's sometimes hard not to considering how primitive my childhood years seem today. My family was always sort of behind the times, so that probably adds alot to this feeling, but we didn't get cable until 1994, or the internet until 1999, so I spent a pretty decent chunk of my childhood with no computer, no cell phone, and only three channels on tv. That seems like 50 years ago when I look back on it now.

As far as missing it, I think there is a part of me that does miss what seems like a "simpler" time, although the fact that I was a kid then probably adds alot to that as well. As a classic video game guy, I'd say the thing I miss the most from back then is the 2D platform games, which probably peaked in terms of quality during the mid 90's. As much as I do still love modern games, you just can't top Super Mario World, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Donkey Kong Country and the other platformers of that time.

Written By: whistledog on 04/23/12 at 3:09 pm

CD stores are still somewhat of a BIG thing in Canada, even with the digital age.  We have HMV and Sunrise Records and both are still widely in operation across Canada.  I probably visit HMV atleast once a week

Written By: Howard on 05/08/12 at 6:06 am

http://living.msn.com/style-beauty/simply-chic-blog-post/?post=50e4722c-dc91-4884-aba1-68236976e507&_nwpt=1

according to MSN's Simply Chic the 90's are now officially "vintage".

Written By: Rafael on 05/08/12 at 12:04 pm

http://living.msn.com/style-beauty/simply-chic-blog-post/?post=50e4722c-dc91-4884-aba1-68236976e507&_nwpt=1

according to MSN's Simply Chic the 90's are now officially "vintage".

i dont see the 1990s revival in fashion yet

Written By: Howard on 05/08/12 at 7:29 pm

i dont see the 1990s revival in fashion yet

What is considered 90's fashion? ???

Written By: joeman on 05/08/12 at 7:37 pm

Yes, I do, but mostly 1995-2000, as I was 10-15 years old then and was going through my growing pains.  The best of that era is both middle school and the music at the time(was a big fan of the Wallflowers).

I don't really miss the early 90s, as you said, they were 80s leftovers.  I mean I like the cartoons and movies, like RoboCop and Transformers, but I hated the music and fashion, especially the bright neon colors.

Written By: Rafael on 05/08/12 at 9:13 pm

What is considered 90's fashion? ???

flannel
baggy pants
overalls
crop top
plaid pants

Written By: preston181 on 06/03/12 at 12:41 am

I miss:

Rock and alternative music that dominated the charts, instead of the rap and auto-tuned pop crap that they call music these days. The funny thing is, that if you go to the rock genre top songs on iTunes, almost half of what is there is stuff from the 90's or earlier. Seems alot more people than just me still cling to the good genres of music.

The Arch Deluxe sandwich from McDonald's. I also like the Daily Double, and that one has actually returned in the last few months.

My Nintendo 64. Last great Nintendo console. I miss same-room multiplayer gaming sessions before the online foul-mouthed rooms of kids that we now find on the latest iteration of Call of Duty. I can't begin to tell you how enraging and embarrassing it is to get "owned" by a group of preteens as a 31-year-old man.

Good TV shows like "My So-Called Life, The X-Files, Star Trek TNG, The Pretender, Freaks and Geeks, and Sliders. Today's TV is crap, and finding something good is more the exception than the rule.

Girls that had long hair and ponytails. These days, short hair and crappy highlighting seems to be the "in-thing".

Cheap gas. I remember working at a pizza joint as a teenager, and being able to make a good pay as a delivery driver. Gas was about 80 cents a gallon, and I could easily fill my tank for around ten bucks.

Good movies. The 90's had a lot of good action flicks, prior to the whole CGI era. The Matrix still holds a notch in my top ten list of films.

The general mood. The 90's for me was the last decade that actually had somewhat of a defining theme, and the last decade to actually have a good mood and chivalry. Today, it seems like we're in the "eff you" era, and we have an entire generation of kids growing up spoiled and entitled. Maybe I'm wrong, and just turning into a cranky old man. But, maybe not. Maybe people were always this way, and we're just now finding out, because of being more connected than ever to people who would otherwise be strangers forever, that the rest of humanity isn't as friendly and nice as we once thought.

The pre-social-media days. I hate social media, and I hate memes even more. Everytime I see a "LOLcat" or a "troll face", I want to go hunt down and shoot the creator of 4chan for starting the whole meme thing. Facebook makes me angry, because people don't seem to know how to use a phone or meet other people in public any more. We are more connected than ever, yet we have a society that can have two people in the same room communicating with each other over their mobile devices.

There are so many things that got lost in the last decade, and it's kind of sad.

Check for new replies or respond here...