inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Two Toys I am Trying to Find the Names Of...Can Anyone Help Please?

Written By: brwneydpdangl on 03/23/12 at 10:11 pm

I've been posting pics up on my facebook profile of old toys I grew up with and I just remembered two I played with when I was little but can't remember the names.
The first one I am postive is a Nerf ball. Its on two strings and at the end of the strings are handles. Its a two player sport. When the ball is on your side you pull the strings apart to push the ball over to the other player. You push the ball back and forth.
Second is a V-Tech Notebook. I am sure its made in the mid or late 1990s. You can hook it up to your tv but only do two things on your tv with it. One thing is like a word program like Microsoft Word or Works were you can type of documents or for kids I am not sure how to explain what they'd type up other then stories. The other thing is a game you can make up a face. You can change the hair and facial expressions. It came with a printer as well to print out your documents. Also had a separate mouse like a desktop computer. If anyone knows the names of these please let me know. Thank You so much.

Nicole

Subject: Re: Two Toys I am Trying to Find the Names Of...Can Anyone Help Please?

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/24/12 at 7:11 am

There was something called Zoom Ball...
http://www.senseabletoys.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/DSC_0075.jpg

Subject: Re: Two Toys I am Trying to Find the Names Of...Can Anyone Help Please?

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/24/12 at 7:18 am

Not sure about the computer thing, could it be this?
http://zapp0.staticworld.net/reviews/graphics/231039-kidcomputers_10_slide.jpg

Written By: brwneydpdangl on 03/24/12 at 2:15 pm

Not sure about the computer thing, could it be this?
http://zapp0.staticworld.net/reviews/graphics/231039-kidcomputers_10_slide.jpg

No that is not it. It's more like the notebooks they have out today. I also said I had it in late or mid 1990s. I think that was 80s or may be early 90s. Flips open like a real laptop computer. And as I said before it only does two things on tv. I believe that does more then two.

Written By: brwneydpdangl on 03/24/12 at 2:16 pm

There was something called Zoom Ball...
http://www.senseabletoys.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/DSC_0075.jpg

That is definately close. I had something different but definately close to what I am looking for. Thank you

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/24/12 at 3:22 pm

No that is not it. It's more like the notebooks they have out today. I also said I had it in late or mid 1990s. I think that was 80s or may be early 90s. Flips open like a real laptop computer. And as I said before it only does two things on tv. I believe that does more then two.

Gave it a shot, I knew it was from an earlier time but it could have been a hand-me-down or yard sale find.

Written By: snozberries on 03/24/12 at 3:28 pm

Gave it a shot, I knew it was from an earlier time but it could have been a hand-me-down or yard sale find.

Nice try carol.

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/24/12 at 10:45 pm

Nice try carol.

Thank ya!  :)

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/24/12 at 10:54 pm

That is definately close. I had something different but definately close to what I am looking for. Thank you

I know there have been different versions. I know there was one with a smooth ball, I just can't find a photo.

Written By: brwneydpdangl on 03/25/12 at 9:30 pm

My mom bought the computer at a store. I am pretty positive its a V-Tech. She bought it a year or so before we got a real computer to kind of train us and make us familiar with computers. Even though it really wasn't anything like a real computer except may be the word processor. The rest of it was just games like you'd find on any other V-Tech computer game.

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/25/12 at 9:39 pm

Take a look here...

http://onlyrepost.blogspot.com/2011/07/kids-computers-through-ages.html

Maybe you'll see what you had.

Written By: brwneydpdangl on 03/25/12 at 9:46 pm

I looked at that before and didn't find it. Although there are two there very close to what I had.

Written By: karen on 03/26/12 at 10:03 am

There's a million and one different versions of that toy out there.  Basically all the same except for the colour scheme

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/27/12 at 11:27 pm

Second is a V-Tech Notebook. I am sure its made in the mid or late 1990s. You can hook it up to your tv but only do two things on your tv with it. One thing is like a word program like Microsoft Word or Works were you can type of documents or for kids I am not sure how to explain what they'd type up other then stories. The other thing is a game you can make up a face. You can change the hair and facial expressions. It came with a printer as well to print out your documents. Also had a separate mouse like a desktop computer. If anyone knows the names of these please let me know. Thank You so much.

If the 1991 VTech IQ Unlimited wasn't it, here's a potential walk through memory lane:

V-Tech goes back further than that.  They had a Apple //e clone in 1984.  It appears to have been released in at least two different case designs.

Maybe a VTech Pre-Computer Power Pad from 1991?

If it was in color, maybe a VTech Super Color Whiz from 1994?

Will you take a Laser PC5 from 1995 instead? 

How about a V-Tech Pre-Computer 1000 from 1998? 

V-tech is still producing a huge line of learning laptops; every few years it looks like they get a new design and put it in a wide array of different cases.

They've got a long and storied history -- if any of the pictures or descriptions in this post ring a bell, even if they're not quite right, but you can make a guess as to "newer than", "kinda like that one", or "way older than" anything in those links, let us know.

Check for new replies or respond here...