inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is grunge legendary because it was the last rock revolution?

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 04/05/12 at 6:17 pm

The grunge era of 1991-1994 (and to a reduced extent up to about '97) is fascinating to me, even if I'm not a big fan, aside from a few songs. Cobain's death no doubt had a hand in prolonging its influence and making it seem timeless/legendary very fast, but I think its also compounded because that's really the last time rock was the biggest thing in the youth culture.

Another thing that might make it seem timeless, is that it generally was more serious and came up from the alienated kids in the 80s (which was then underground alternative rock). That made it less datable than something like hair metal (those are fun songs and personally more my style, but there's no question it was cheesy in both image and sound towards the end).

In an alternate universe, let's say Kurt had lived and that some other rock revolution had replaced it in the late 90s/early 00s (either because rap maybe wouldn't have gotten as big, and/or it co-existed). I wonder if we'd still be feeling the same way. I think grunge would've still made an impact, but its sound would've gotten off the charts much quicker too. For many years, there were lame post grunge bands, first with Creed, then Nickelback and the very last tier ones like Seether and Shinedown, before it finally seems to have died by 2010.

I think people didn't want rock itself to die, so they held on for deer life to anything (even if it sucked), and since Cobain's legacy probably felt unfinished, they didn't let that general sound die for 15 years!

P.S. Even if there's unfortunately not much mainstream rock now, what is around is much better, probably thanks to post-grunge going away. Whether its poppy rock like Maroon 5, (good) alternative rock like Kings Of Leon, or the more underground Indie pop rock like Gotye and Foster The People, which I hope will continue to get popular.

Subject: Re: Is grunge legendary because it was the last rock revolution?

Written By: whistledog on 04/05/12 at 6:49 pm

Grunge died with Cobain in 1994, but it never really died.  One of the last Grunge songs I can remember being popular was 'Sick and Beautiful' by Artificial Joy Club in 1997. 

At the time, I hated grunge, simply because it was guys with deep voices singing like they were on suicide row.  It was depressing music that all sounded the same.  I can tolerate it now, but it's not my first choice of rock music. 

Written By: Shiv on 04/05/12 at 8:41 pm

Grunge was not the last rock revolution. Pop punk and then indie rock became popular after grunge.

Written By: Emman on 04/05/12 at 9:09 pm

The grunge era of 1991-1994 (and to a reduced extent up to about '97) is fascinating to me, even if I'm not a big fan, aside from a few songs. Cobain's death no doubt had a hand in prolonging its influence and making it seem timeless/legendary very fast, but I think its also compounded because that's really the last time rock was the biggest thing in the youth culture.

Another thing that might make it seem timeless, is that it generally was more serious and came up from the alienated kids in the 80s (which was then underground alternative rock). That made it less datable than something like hair metal (those are fun songs and personally more my style, but there's no question it was cheesy in both image and sound towards the end).

In an alternate universe, let's say Kurt had lived and that some other rock revolution had replaced it in the late 90s/early 00s (either because rap maybe wouldn't have gotten as big, and/or it could've co-existed). I wonder if we'd still be feeling the same way. I think grunge would've still made an impact, but its sound would've gotten off the charts much quicker too. For many years, there were third rate post grunge bands, first with Creed, then Nickelback and the very last tier ones like Seether and Shinedown, before it finally seems to have died by 2010.

I think people didn't want rock itself to die, so they held on for deer life to anything (even if it sucked), and since Cobain's legacy probably felt unfinished, they didn't let that general sound die for 15 years!

P.S. Even if there's unfortunately not much mainstream rock now, what is around is much better, probably thanks to post-grunge going away. Whether its poppy rock like Maroon 5, (good) alternative rock like Kings Of Leon, or the more underground Indie pop rock like Gotye and Foster The People, which I hope will continue to get popular.

I saw a video online around early 2011(it was on MTV's website) and they were hyping up a indie rock revolution they believe will take place in the 2010s, mirroring the alternative explosion in the early '90s. I think nu metal was probably one of the last genuinely "new" movements in rock, after that it was eating it's own past with some exceptions, hip-hop took the helm of innovation and musical progress in the '00s(all kinds of southern rap styles, autotune, techno dance influences in the late part).

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 04/05/12 at 10:29 pm

I saw a video online around early 2011(it was on MTV's website) and they were hyping up a indie rock revolution they believe will take place in the 2010s, mirroring the alternative explosion in the early '90s. I think nu metal was probably one of the last genuinely "new" movements in rock, after that it was eating it's own past with some exceptions, hip-hop took the helm of innovation and musical progress in the '00s(all kinds of southern rap styles, autotune, techno dance influences in the late part).

Oh yeah, I forgot about nu metal. I hated it circa 2001, but I miss it a little now, just because its the last time rock had a loud rebellious image. I think in a way it continued the anger of grunge, it was just more brash and influenced by rap. Alot of original grunge like Alice In Chains was actually pretty downtempo, just in a really edgy dark and moody way.

I think the new indie (I hope anyway) will get big later in the '10s too. :)

Written By: gus on 04/08/12 at 5:13 pm

I think grunge was really sticks out because it was definitive of an era (gen x anger) and defined the the era that was revolutionary for music rather than the things that came before and after it, which can kind of be seen as now frivolous fads.  other trends such as numetal had existed even in the 80's but become popular when early millenials identified with it, though i still consider it somewhat deriviative of grunge, heavy metal, and rap rock of the 80's. etc.  nowadays rock now seems somewhat vague and derivative of other styles with other direct influences from the past to really be memorable and defining of a particular era.  it might be for people who grew up during the time, but not to anyone else.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/10/12 at 9:29 pm

I don't think was a revolution.  I think it was drivel.

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/11/12 at 7:44 am

Today's rock is akin to the Smooth Jazz of the '80s; mostly for specialty groups and spawning a big star or two, but mostly only for loyal listeners and will not age well with respect to being remembered fondly. You might hear some of it on the Weather Channel, and what's left in terms of talent is basically just following some trends set by the dance-hip/hop/electronic musicians. Grunge also was the last rock revolution to take place before the Internet was mainstream, so it was the last chance for musicains to follow traditional methods of promoting via TV, music magazines, and radio.

Written By: joeman on 04/11/12 at 10:05 pm

I think so.  It was everywhere when it first came out and a lot of copycat bands where popular throughout the late 90s/early 00s.  Still, Nirvana influenced so many bands, along with Pearl Jam.  The music was depressing, yes, but the 90s were a depressing decade.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 04/21/12 at 6:29 am

The music was depressing, yes, but the 90s were a depressing decade.

which is why I'm not into so much grunge, its too stale and depressing

late 90s were a very alive decade though, It was a a very bubbly and happy time with a depression overtone but yes 90s overall has a depression vibe going on

Written By: Howard on 04/21/12 at 6:34 am

which is why I'm not into so much grunge, its too stale and depressing

late 90s were a very alive decade though, It was a a very bubbly and happy time with a depression overtone but yes 90s overall has a depression vibe going on

I agree the 90's there were more dance tunes.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 04/21/12 at 6:36 am

I agree the 90's there were more dance tunes.

this is true in Europe where Eurodance were at its peak!!

Written By: RG1995 on 04/22/12 at 9:53 pm

Today's rock is akin to the Smooth Jazz of the '80s; mostly for specialty groups and spawning a big star or two, but mostly only for loyal listeners and will not age well with respect to being remembered fondly. You might hear some of it on the Weather Channel, and what's left in terms of talent is basically just following some trends set by the dance-hip/hop/electronic musicians. Grunge also was the last rock revolution to take place before the Internet was mainstream, so it was the last chance for musicains to follow traditional methods of promoting via TV, music magazines, and radio.
lol. No it isn't.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/22/12 at 11:41 pm

The last rock revolution was 1997 with Brian Eno and The Drop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv_Cl9iF3RM

Check for new replies or respond here...