inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: name of a food from the 90s

Written By: johnnyutah on 05/14/12 at 9:49 pm

My friend wants to know the name of a cookie from the 90s that had a bite in it already and had a slogan that went something like: "I start um, you finish um!"

Subject: Hostess Grizzly Chomps

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/16/12 at 11:18 pm

My friend wants to know the name of a cookie from the 90s that had a bite in it already and had a slogan that went something like: "I start um, you finish um!"

"Hostess' Grizzly Chomps cupcakes utilize an idea that may appeal only to children: a chocolate cake with the first bite already taken. ``I start 'em, you finish 'em'' says the animal on the wrapper that looks more like a wolf than a bear. The 97 percent fat-free cakes with super sprinkles retail for 49 for a 2.5-ounce package of two.
Don Russell: ``Without a lot of aggressive advertising aimed at children, I don't think Grizzly Chomps will be around very long. Sure, the shape and sprinkles appeal to children, but the cake is rather dry and contains no filling. Even if this product is made with healthy ingredients, it just doesn't seem to have much going for it like most of Hostess' other tried and true products.''
  - Deseret News, Hostess Grizzly Chomps, (excerpt from mostly-negative product review), Oct. 22 1991.

Hostess Grizzly Chomps, 1990 commercial and transcript:

PzcFdr3vcnE

"(Hello? Yo?)  I'm Grizzly B, official spokesbear for Hostess Grizzly Chomps, the snack cake for cool bears everywhere. (CHOMP!)
Not bears who dance like this (old music), bears who dance like this! (funkier music)
Not bears that hibernate (bear sleeping under snowbank), ? bears that shred! (snowboarding bear)
Not bears who eat honey (bear with fingerful of honey is attacked by bees)
When cool bears want a snack, they eat Hostess Grizzly Chomps (CHOMP!)
Chocolate with sprinkles, mmm, tastes great. (CHOMP!)
I know 'cause I chomp every one! (CHOMP!)
See?  Hostess Grizzly Chomps Cakes: I start 'em, you can finish 'em!"

Subject: Re: name of a food from the 90s

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/17/12 at 12:25 pm

Frito-Lay

SUN CHIPS

http://msfizz.sodastreamusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/sun-chips-compostable-packaging1.jpg

A multi-grain snack launched in 1991. 

Sun Chips were one of my favorite convenience store munchies on road trips.  A bag of Sun Chips and a bottle of Snapple could tide me over for a couple of hundred miles!
:)

Written By: Howard on 05/17/12 at 1:42 pm

Frito-Lay

SUN CHIPS

http://msfizz.sodastreamusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/sun-chips-compostable-packaging1.jpg

A multi-grain snack launched in 1991. 

Sun Chips were one of my favorite convenience store munchies on road trips.  A bag of Sun Chips and a bottle of Snapple could tide me over for a couple of hundred miles!
:)

Sun Chips were great, very crunchy and tasty.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/17/12 at 6:47 pm

I still like Sun Chips.

Check for new replies or respond here...